Menu

shelf stable food storage

I'm trying to come up with a list of meals that are shelf stable that I can begin storing as "extra" food. The first problem I encountered involves eggs. We eat about 4 dozen a week and don't have any chickens. So, if the stores were closed I would run out of eggs and then have to change our routine meals accordingly. I know I can't substitute eggs in scrambled eggs, but what can you put in fried rice as a substitute? Are the powdered eggs I've seem in those freeze dried kits any good? My emergency plan is for these meals to be able to be cooked on our propane powered camping stove in case there was no power.

I'd also love any shelf stable meal ideas - I cook from scratch everyday and I'm thinking I'll have to buy processed foods just to get something in storage and then learn to can my own food this Spring. I'm writing about it over on my blog too if anyone is interested...

You can make a lot of meals with dried beans, canned veggies, and rice or pasta. The supplies are shelf stable and the meals are fairly well balanced. Just can your own veggies and use whole grain rice and pasta to make it healthier.

My favorite of this type of meal is italian white beans and tomatoes over pasta. Mix cooked beans, tomatoes, a little tomato sauce, and some herbs in a skillet and heat through. Cook pasta and toss with bean and tomato mixture. Eat!

I add any extra veggies I have on hand to the skillet - usually onions, mushrooms, and zucchini - and I confess I use canned beans to save time sometimes. :tongue_smilie:

You can make perfectly good fried rice without egg. I'd get Ener-G Egg Replacer for baking, and/or dehydrated eggs (which may actually be reconstitutible into edible scrambled egg, not sure), and just adjust most recipes like fried rice to do without them.

DD had an egg allergy for several years (she seems to have outgrown it now), and I learned to make a LOT of things without egg!

One non-food item I would suggest you get is a BUTANE stove. Propane camp burners are extremely dangerous to use indoors, and should you need to use your emergency food in the dead of winter, it would be much more comfortable for you and your family to have an indoor cooking option. :)

The powdered eggs from honeyvillegrain.com are actually very good. You can hardly tell the difference once you cook them up. But be sure to have emergency water on hand as well, since they obviously need to be reconstituted. They also sell flavored TVP that's good if you're not eating it straight (like if it's mixed in with a casserole or something, it's good :) )

I don't know what you could use for a substitute for eggs in something like fried rice, but if you're looking for an egg substitute for BAKING recipes you could use ground flax seed. 1tbs. flax to 3tbs. water works really well, and hardly effects the flavor in my experience.