Menu

And MORE dead birds - Sweden

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2011/jan/04/500-birds-found-dead-louisiana/

This was just the first link I googled up but it seems to happen a lot more commonly than I even thought. I'm taking this news as slow news day(s).

From the article...

"Large numbers of bird deaths are not uncommon.

In January and February 1999, an estimated 3,000 birds died in Morehouse Parish in northern Louisiana, many of them falling from the air. Scientists at the U.S. Geological Service laboratory in Wisconsin diagnosed the cause as an E. coli infection of air sacs in their skulls.

The U.S. Geological Service’s website lists about 90 mass deaths of birds and other wildlife from June through Dec. 12. Five list deaths of at least 1,000 birds and another 12 show at least 500 dead birds.

The largest was near Houston, Minn., where about 4,000 water birds died between Sept. 6 and Nov. 26 from infestations of various parasites."

http://www.nwhc.usgs.gov/mortality_events/ongoing.jsp Not sure these are all birds, but I assume this is the table that the article got their information from.

I'm still trying to figure out how fireworks on Friday night, didn't kill the birds until Sun/Mon? :confused:

They did die early Saturday morning in Arkansas.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40885546/ns/us_news-environment/

"Residents of the small town of Beebe awoke Saturday to find thousands of dead blackbirds littering a 1.5-square-mile area. The birds inexplicably dropped dead, landing on homes, cars and lawns."

The Louisiana birds were found on Monday.

More in Italy. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/06/birds-dying-in-italy-thou_n_805541.html

That article also mentions the millions of fish in MD, Brazil and New Zeland, in addition to the ones from Arkansas. And the dead crabs in England.

Crazy.

I hadn't heard about Italy, Brazil, New Zealand, or the crabs in England. I'm with our weatherman, time to go back and read revelations.

How sad and strange. I wonder why we don't see more bird die-offs due to fireworks in other areas? Or do we? I don't know.

As for fish, large numbers of dead alewife fish will occasionally wash up on the Chicago beaches. From what I've read, sudden drops in the shoreline temperature for an extended time can cause this. All I remember is the stench was overwhelming. Not a good time to go for a run along Lake Michigan.

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/unknown-chicago/2010/07/the-alewives-are-coming-the-alewives-are-coming-94-30-1967.html

How sad and strange. I wonder why we don't see more bird die-offs due to fireworks in other areas? Or do we? I don't know.

Well, that's what They're trying to tell us - that it happens all the time but doesn't get reported. There's another article linked beneath the Italy one that says this whole thing is pretty "normal". It's this one. But I don't buy it, even though I have no legitimate idea what is causing it. Testing out bio-terrorism methods? I have no idea.

The alien theory is kinda fun, though. :D

Did you all hear/see that the earth's magnetic north pole has shifted and that it may affect bird's migratory function? There is an airport in FL that has to change it's runways according to the magnetic changes so that the plane's compasses will match what's on the ground! Fascinating.

Did you all hear/see that the earth's magnetic north pole has shifted and that it may affect bird's migratory function? There is an airport in FL that has to change it's runways according to the magnetic changes so that the plane's compasses will match what's on the ground! Fascinating.

I did see that, and failed to consider a connection with the bird deaths. Guess I have a not-so-WTM.

It is interesting. I wonder how often this has happened over the ages, but is seemingly new to us because of our ability to measure it nowadays?

Whoa! I hadn't heard that. I wonder if all of the earthquakes and tsunamis have anything to do with it? Do you remember which airport in Florida it was? I live right near Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood International :)

Whoa! I hadn't heard that. I wonder if all of the earthquakes and tsunamis have anything to do with it? Do you remember which airport in Florida it was? I live right near Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood International :)

Tampa International. But honestly, I don't understand why all airports wouldn't be affected?

I just saw a new media buzz word for the bird phenomenon:

"Aflockalypse"

I didn't see that. Do you have a link?

Magnetic north and "grid north" (on maps) is not usually the same. Why couldn't they simply publish new directional material instead of moving the runway? Aren't runways oriented by the prevailing winds? Seems like it would have been a lot easier.

Tampa International. But honestly, I don't understand why all airports wouldn't be affected?

Yeah that's on the other coast and further north. It does seem weird that only one airport would require those changes, but what do I know? :tongue_smilie:

I just saw a new media buzz word for the bird phenomenon:

"Aflockalypse"

Okay, I know what is happening with all of these birds is not good, but that just Aflockalypse just struck me funny.:lol: Poor little birdies. :tongue_smilie: