Menu

Math advice needed

Dd is in 9th grade doing Saxon Algebra 1. She did lesson 50 today. Her test scores are okay, 88 is the lowest, 95 is the highest. She is doing rather well on the daily lessons. But, it routinely takes 2 or more hours a day to complete a lesson:eek: This cannot continue.

I've narrowed our solutions down to 2:

1. do half lessons of Saxon. This will mean doing math year round. She would complete Algebra 1 either over the summer or early in her 10th grade year. IF algebra 2 also takes 2 years to complete, it will be difficult to get 4 math credits. I know Saxon combines geometry with the algebras, but she still needs 4 math credits total

2. switching to TT. She scored very well on the TT placement test. She could move at a faster pace with TT. But, dd does not like the computer based style of TT. She used TT for 7th and Pre-Algebra and asked to return to Saxon. She likes the "to the point" and continual review style of Saxon So, she prefers option 1. I suppose it is not a foregone conclusion that Saxon algebra 2 would also take 2 years.

So, anyone BTDT or have any advice to share?

Edited by HollyDay

I'd go at her pace rather than go with an easier curriculum just to get the credit on paper...

Saxon is time consuming--each homework assignment goes in so many different directions...Also since Geometry is integrated into the Saxon high school sequence, Algebra 1, Algebra 2 and Pre-Calc would be considered 4 years of high school Math-- as you can give FULL credit for Geometry.

If she likes it and is UNDERSTANDING it and doing well-- don't change a thing. I used to teach from Saxon exclusively and the students I had who did well with Saxon also did well in college Maths.

I've narrowed our solutions down to 2:

1. do half lessons of Saxon. This will mean doing math year round. She would complete Algebra 1 either over the summer or early in her 10th grade year. IF algebra 2 also takes 2 years to complete, it will be difficult to get 4 math credits. I know Saxon combines geometry with the algebras, but she still needs 4 math credits total

2. switching to TT. She scored very well on the TT placement test. She could move at a faster pace with TT. So, anyone BTDT or have any advice to share?

I'd go at her pace rather than go with an easier curriculum just to get the credit on paper...

Saxon is time consuming--each homework assignment goes in so many different directions...Also since Geometry is integrated into the Saxon high school sequence, Algebra 1, Algebra 2 and Pre-Calc would be considered 4 years of high school Math-- as you can give FULL credit for Geometry.

If she likes it and is UNDERSTANDING it and doing well-- don't change a thing. I used to teach from Saxon exclusively and the students I had who did well with Saxon also did well in college Maths.

What I'd do is either stick with Saxon and take your time if she undersands it well, or switch to something that focuses on one thing per chapter such as Lial's, Foerster's or an old Dolciani. When Saxon works well, it works (it hurts me to say it because I don't like the style, but my eldest did it for 3 levels.) What I wouldn't do is switch to TT if she understands Saxon but simply needs more time.

fwiw, my eldest is very good at math and plans to major in it, but there are times when it takes her a long time to do her work because the problems are difficult that day or they are long. Being good at math isn't necessarily the same as being quick at it. You can be both good and quick at it, but you can also be quick and accurate with calculations but not good at the thinking aspects of math. One of the reasons dc excels in math is because she thinks about it.

Does she have to do every problem? I don't think many folks do every problem in Saxon. I know it can be hard to choose exactly which to leave out, but I think there are lesson plans out there that could help you choose. MFW has lesson plans for $15 plus shipping:

http://www.mfwbooks.com/math712.htm

And I think there are other lesson plans out there to cut this back a bit.

Of course, if she needs them, all of the problems will still be there, waiting for her :)

Julie

My son is taking Saxon Alg II this year (8thgrade) and he just completed lesson 46. He also takes a LONG time to do math (anywhere fro 1 1/2-2 hours). He tells me he just has to have time to think!!! However, he scores well on the tests and scores in the 99th percentile on standardized tests. I would not skip problems, as this is highly discouraged on their web site and it defeats some of the purpose of the program (the spiral review). I would let her go at her own speed. To keep her on target, she migth need to do math on the weekends and in the summer (we do this anyway to keep things "fresh"). I, too, can get frustrated that it takes my ds so long to complete a lesson, but the most important thing is they are understanding the material. One of the nice things about homeschooling is we can allow our children to move at their own pace:D. Blessings :)

The time it takes to do the lessons is time well spent. :) I disagree with the poster that wrong problems shouldn't be re-worked. At least for us, this is where a lot of the learning and solidifying of concepts takes place. Again, this is time well spent in my opinion. I agree that there's no reason to grade daily work.

I do not grade daily work. I keep an idea in my head of how it went. Did she miss problems because of understanding or because of basic errors (the old 2 times 2 is 5 type error)? If it is basic errors, we do not redo the problem. If it is understanding, we go over the problem in detail or use the teacher dvd.

I think we just need to stick to the program. If a lesson takes 2 days, it takes 2 days. She is getting it, her scores are good, she likes the style. It is just time consuming.

You know, this is true high school level math.

If she were in school, she would probably have a 45 minute lecture, an hour of homework or a bit more, and extra study sessions for tests and maybe a study group.

2 hours for true high school math is just not unreasonable.

You could let her do half lessons 6 days a week instead of 5. Then you wouldn't go so far into the summer. But really, I think that 2 hours is just fine.

I asked this question when my son began spending two hours a day in Algebra I. The consensus, five years ago, was that two hours was typical.

And so it was. He spent two hours or more, each day, until he graduated high school. It was great preparation for the three or four hours of math homework everyday in his first semester of college.

Seriously.

The time it takes to do the lessons is time well spent. :) I disagree with the poster that wrong problems shouldn't be re-worked. At least for us' date=' this is where a lot of the learning and solidifying of concepts takes place. Again, this is time well spent in my opinion. I agree that there's no reason to grade daily work.[/quote']

:iagree: