Menu

Will you check out my 2nd grade "schedule" please?

TN Mama

So, we are going to be new hsers next year and I've spent many hours reading, researching ("Yes, that is what I've been doing on the WTM boards, Honey!"), and trying to figure out what will work best for my dd (who will be a 2nd grader).

I was hoping you all could look at my schedule to see what you think? I have told myself that if something doesn't work, we'll cross that bridge when we get there. I have no clue how long each subject will take us and I don't want to stress myself (or dd) out by putting us on a 9-9:30 type of schedule. Obviously, I'll have to see how things go for us and adjust accordingly. Anyway... tell me what you think?

Monday

Math (CLE 2)

LA (CLE 2 w/Sequential Spelling & maybe HWOT)

Reading (BJU 3)

*Enrichment day

Tuesday

Math (CLE 2)

Reading (BJU 3)

Science (Apologia Astronomy)

History (SOTW I)

Character stories (readers 15 minutes)

Health (nothing formal 15 minutes)

Wednesday

Math (CLE 2)

Reading (BJU 3)

*Enrichment day

Thursday

Math (CLE 2)

Reading (BJU 3)

History (SOTW I)

Character stories (readers 15 minutes)

Friday

Math (CLE 2)

Reading (BJU 3)

History (SOTW I)

Map Skills (15 minutes)

Mind Benders (10-15 minutes)

*Enrichment days are 3 hours spent in a co-op type setting with music, art, pe, Bible and science/history projects.

Free reading to be done at night before bed.

Also, I was thinking of throwing in Singapore's CWP once a week for fun. That will depend on time and could be traded off with the mind benders on Fridays.

Thank you for taking the time to read & help me out. :)

My personal experience is that after 3.5 hrs of co-op, my kids are done for the day. I can get a bit of reading or math (not both) done and I can do a read-aloud, but there's no way to get a full day's work done in the 3Rs. I make up for this by working on the weekends. We do a half day of work on Saturdays and a bit on Sunday if I catch them in a receptive moment. Our coop is in the morning so you may not have this problem if yours is in the afternoon. Other than that, your schedule looks great.

Looks good to me. I imagine you will want to skip the spelling in CLE LA2 if you're doing Seq Sp, and if you do HWOT, you can skip the handwriting as well. Otherwise, I think you'd be spending 2 hours per day on LA, but maybe that's just a projection from my LA phobic ds.

My personal experience is that after 3.5 hrs of co-op, my kids are done for the day. I can get a bit of reading or math (not both) done and I can do a read-aloud, but there's no way to get a full day's work done in the 3Rs. I make up for this by working on the weekends. We do a half day of work on Saturdays and a bit on Sunday if I catch them in a receptive moment. Our coop is in the morning so you may not have this problem if yours is in the afternoon. Other than that, your schedule looks great.

Ooh - trying out multi-quote feature for the first time! :) Regarding the co-op: I will send about an hours worth of "work" to be done while she is there and since this is our first year, I'm not sure how exactly that will work. While I am excited for her to have this time with other young people and experiencing fun things she might not get at home (sadly, I'm not very crafty), I have worried if we'll be able to get everything in that we need to because of the enrichment days. I've thought about doing just one day, also. We'll see how that goes. It is about 3.5 hours - she'll be out by 12:15.

Looks good to me. I imagine you will want to skip the spelling in CLE LA2 if you're doing Seq Sp, and if you do HWOT, you can skip the handwriting as well. Otherwise, I think you'd be spending 2 hours per day on LA, but maybe that's just a projection from my LA phobic ds.

I have Sequential Spelling & HWOT (purchased both used from people here!), but may start with CLE as is to see how it goes. For sure if I add in the other programs we will skip the spelling and handwriting included with CLE. I want to cover my bases, not trample them. :) My daughter would so totally balk at that idea. Math, that's a different story.

I really appreciate you all taking out time to review and comment on our next year plans. Whether you know it or not, you've all played a part in how this schedule came to be! I have learned from your reviews as well as the personal experiences you have shared. I am very grateful.

thanks

:grouphug:

I have no clue how long each subject will take us and I don't want to stress myself (or dd) out by putting us on a 9-9:30 type of schedule. Obviously, I'll have to see how things go for us and adjust accordingly.

I don't schedule time slots at all. Some days math takes 10 minutes and others we play more math games and it takes 30. Same thing with just about every subject. (I do give a range of time when I'm planning it out to see if it's all going to fit but my kiddos are young enough that we have more time than school still.)

You're schedule looks great. You'll be able to adjust things once you get going but it looks doable!