Menu

Need men's dress shirt recommendations, please!

We are in the process of upgrading dh's work wardrobe. Last year we purchased some higher quality dress shirts from Nordstrom. We have been pleased with the look but not necessarily the wear. Collar tips and cuffs have frayed and this really shows on french blue shirts.

I need a good source for dress shirts in a trim fit. We tend to keep the really good dress shirts on the conservative side and buy a few less expensive, trendier ones for a seasonal change.

Also, has anyone had experience with having shirts custom-made? Initial research showed that the price did not appear to be much more than off the rack shirts. Last year was the first time we had had my dh's pants custom tailored and wow! What a difference!

The first year I was on the board my family mocked me. Funny now how I hear the "Uh (honey, Mom), can you check on the board about...?":D

DH is 6'4 and skinny. He needs trim fit with 37 length sleeves.

I AM IN LOVE WITH PAUL FREDRICK!!

FINALLY, we can get shirts that fit his arms and do NOT have to be tailored b/c we get the trim fit :)

They also have European style shirts, that DH likes as well. They are very good quality and hold up extremely well and look fantastic.

If you sign up to receive e-mails, they frequently send out coupon codes.

http://www.paulfredrick.com/

ETA: They do custom made shirts as well :)

DH is 6'4 and skinny. He needs trim fit with 37 length sleeves.

I AM IN LOVE WITH PAUL FREDRICK!!

FINALLY, we can get shirts that fit his arms and do NOT have to be tailored b/c we get the trim fit :)

They also have European style shirts, that DH likes as well. They are very good quality and hold up extremely well and look fantastic.

If you sign up to receive e-mails, they frequently send out coupon codes.

http://www.paulfredrick.com/

ETA: They do custom made shirts as well :)

Oh wow! They have way more options than the usual blue and white available in trim fit. Not that white isn't good as dh has a fondness for vintage Jerry Garcia ties.;) We'll definitely give this site a try.

One more question though, what's the difference with the European style shirts? I sometimes have to rein myself in on shirt styles. While dh can be daring the industry he works in is not. But then on the other hand, he often finds himself in Tokyo or Hong Kong, so it is a balancing act.

Costco has some excellent shirts that come in tons of sizes. DH has broad shoulders, long arms, but thinner thru the middle, and these shirts fit him well.

They iron like a dream..and yes, I iron them even if they say wrinkle free.

They are 16.99 each at the store..

My dh has been wearing Lands End shirts almost exclusively for 20 years. He is in banking and needs to look professional. Some of the Lands End shirts come in a trim fit. They list price for about $40, but we never pay that much - Lands End is ALWAYS having a sale or coupon offer.

We tried the Costco shirts, but they are a thinner material and dh didn't like them as well. Keep in mind that with any shirt being laundered frequently, you are going to get the fraying you mentioned. But I think the Lands End shirts hold up well.

Oh wow! They have way more options than the usual blue and white available in trim fit. Not that white isn't good as dh has a fondness for vintage Jerry Garcia ties.;) We'll definitely give this site a try.

One more question though, what's the difference with the European style shirts? I sometimes have to rein myself in on shirt styles. While dh can be daring the industry he works in is not. But then on the other hand, he often finds himself in Tokyo or Hong Kong, so it is a balancing act.

Torso Fit

There are three standard cuts: The America, the French, and the English cut. The American cut is the fullest while the French cut, sometimes also called European cut, is more tapered at the waist. The British cut is somewhere in between the two. What type of cut you choose depends on your body type. If you have an athletic build than the French cut is an excellent choice. It compliments your body type and will fit much better on you. The American cut on the other hand, is much better suited for bigger men.

My husband only wears Polo by Ralph Lauren. We often find them at TJMaxx and Marshall's for around $40.

Mine too--- Polo and Lands' End. Both excellent quality, and we find them at TJ Maxx or Marshalls. The Lands' End shirts have held up very well-- those we purchase from the website, of course.

astrid

Jos. A Banks shirts! The Traveler shirts can be washed at home and then dried and hung and they retain the crease on the arm. My dh uses them when he travels. They look great and I don't have to do any ironing. ;) They are not cheap though!

DH likes Jos. A. Banks too, but they never had his arm length size and we always have to get them tailored b/c they were too big around the torso, but they are good shirts :)

My dh has been wearing Lands End shirts almost exclusively for 20 years. He is in banking and needs to look professional. Some of the Lands End shirts come in a trim fit. They list price for about $40, but we never pay that much - Lands End is ALWAYS having a sale or coupon offer.

I second the Lands' End shirts. We have also found the quality at Eddie Bauer to be very good.

I think both make custom shirts as well.

I haven't read all the replies, but that's where my husband buys his dress shirts (he tends to buy his other work clothes other places, but he feels Nordstrom has the best dress shirts for the money). He has some that are years old. He worked in an expensive men's clothing store before grad school so I tend to defer to him on issues of men's fashion.

I should probably read the whole thread to see if you do your husband's shirts or whether you take them to a laundry, because I may be about to insult you. :001_smile: My husband feels strongly that this depends on the laundry not the shirts (at least that brand which he's been buying for years). His shirts used to get trashed regularly by our local cleaners. He then started experimenting with taking them to cleaners downtown near his office and found one that he loves. Since then he says he's never had a problem.

Don't know where your husband works but happy to give you more info if any of this is pertinent.