Menu

Maui -- What should we NOT miss during our trip in May?

the all day sail/whale and dolphin watch/snorkel with Trilogy catamarans (to Lana'i) was just awesome. They provide all food and snorkel gear. Be sure to take an underwater camera, even if it's just a disposable. Every single employee we encountered went above and beyond the call to make it memorable for their guests.

Sunrise on Haleakala was definitely overrated -- we also biked down, as we are a biking family, but it is not for young children or for the faint of heart. I would not recommend Mountain Riders.

The Molokai helicopter ride was the best. I'll see if I can find the name of the helicopter company and pm you. The Molokai cliffs are probably the most outstanding cliffs in the world. We also flew over the Na'apali cliffs on Kauai, but while they were beautiful, the Molokai cliffs were truly breathtaking.

We did not get to see the lava flow.

PM me if you have questions, OK?

Mama's Fish House...I can't remember exactly where it is but it's famous on the island. It's a little pricey but both the setting and the food are incredible (and I'm not even a fish person.)

There's great golf in Waimea and Laihaina (spelling?) has the best luau on all the islands. Luaus can be a little corny but I've heard from many people that this one is excellent. I'm jealous...we don't get to Kauai until September!

Personally, if you have young children I would definitely skip the trip to Hana...........many hours of driving winding roads that can be downright dangerous at times for a lot of scenery. Next time I will take a helicopter and just my husband and I will go......not worth it IMHO for kids.

We enjoyed Haleakula and recommend it. Our whale watching trip was the highlight of our trip..........so close we reached out of the boat and touched the whales and one of our skippers dove into the ocean next to them..........way cool.

The luau thing is overrated and overpriced......but if this is a once in a lifetime trip.........do it.

I'm a terrible wimp when it comes to heights and it was awful. I couldn't even enjoy the scenery because of it.

Haleakala was neat. The ride up was a bit harrowing for me (more heights!), but worth it.

I liked Iao Needle State Park.

We were there 18 years ago for our honeymoon. The trip was a gift from my in-laws, but we were broke, so we didn't do anything that cost much money. I regret that now. I wish we had just pulled out that old credit card and done all the once-in-a-lifetime stuff. We want to go back someday, but I don't know that we will.

I'm a terrible wimp when it comes to heights and it was awful. I couldn't even enjoy the scenery because of it.

We decided to NOT do the infamous road to Hana.

I was on Maui in '86. I've heard much has changed since then. I'll still be the one sitting up in the shade of an umbrella or trees w/ my nose in a book. I won't come home w/ a tan. And I can't afford any more wrinkles or crow's feet!