Menu

Guest brittney

Guest brittney

Hello. I am adopting 3 children from the foster care system and am looking into homeschooling to aid in adjustment and attachment. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the process or how it works so I am hoping that someone may be able to offer advice/guidance??? Thank you!

hello!!

I am an adoptive momma to 4 from foster!! I agree completely with finding out the laws for homeschooling!! I have to tell you, what a exciting life you have ahead of you!

Good luck and laugh as much as possible!!

I would before jumping into teaching, play games and laugh, and play games, go on field trips and laugh and learn about these precious children that are going to live in your heart and home. This will help you learn how they learn!

I emphasize laughing! But don't feel guilt for crying!! I called my best friend a few times crying in the closet....it usually went to laughing by the end!

Many years later, my heart can explode with the love I have for these children!

Congratulations! I would wait a while before beginning school with them; if your state allows flexibility. I would spend a lot of time cuddled up on the sofa reading aloud, playing games, going on walks and going on field trips. Meanwhile read about the different ways of homeschooling and start trying to figure out the best way these precious children learn/do work. Every child is so different and not one curriculum or method works for all, so spend time with them before you spend money on anything.

Congratulations! I would wait a while before beginning school with them; if your state allows flexibility. I would spend a lot of time cuddled up on the sofa reading aloud, playing games, going on walks and going on field trips.

:iagree: as an adoptive mom to 4 who have been home 2 years now. I wanted them to enjoy learning. I teach them at their own levels with Language Arts and Math, but everything else we do together, very hands-on. AND I am very flexible and relaxed. Relationship is key.

Welcome to the journey!

I have 3 adopted from foster care---but they came one at a time. We also fostered over 100 others so I have been there, done that.

How old are the kids? Without giving away too much, do they have any drug/alcohol exposure, learning delays, physical impairments, etc? That will all play a role in their schooling

I have found that often kids through the system are 1-2 years behind academically and socially but they might be way ahead in "street smarts" which can make for an interesting life.

Do you have other kids?