Menu

What did I do wrong? (sugar cookie content!)

My recipe calls for 1 C of margarine and I used butter instead. Plus, it calls for 1 C Crisco and I used butter-flavored Crisco (it was all I had).

The dough had a dry texture w/some kind of little "things" in it, like flecks of something. And some, but not all, of the cookies spread way out when baked.

Was the substituting too much?

Thanks!

My recipe calls for 1 C of margarine and I used butter instead. Plus, it calls for 1 C Crisco and I used butter-flavored Crisco (it was all I had).

The dough had a dry texture w/some kind of little "things" in it, like flecks of something. And some, but not all, of the cookies spread way out when baked.

Was the substituting too much?

Thanks!

I wonder what the butter flavoring is made from. Usually when sugar cookies spread it's because your butter was too melty to start with.

Did it use baking powder? I've learned that excess baking powder in biscuits can leave weird looking little brown flecky things. I would imagine the same would be true in cookies. But that could be just wild conjecture. I'm sorry they didn't turn out like you hoped, I hate when that happens too. Have you used this recipe successfully before?

Did you refrigerate the dough for at least 3 hours before you rolled it out and baked it?

About the flecks, I have no idea.

My personal cookie spreading theory is that they spread if the butter is too soft when it is creamed (this happens to me a lot), when I use only butter (and I always do), or when the cookie dough is creamed and mixed with a mixer instead of with a fork and a wooden spoon, or when the raw cookies are placed on a warmer than room temperature cookie sheet, or when the oven temperature is not accurate. My latest theory is that perhaps some doughs need more flour in them. The latest theory has not been tested lately because I keep forgetting about it, and I can't remember what happened when I did test it, except that the cookies were happily eaten.

Today, I made all-butter chocolate chip cookies and applied all of my theories, except the flour one, and they were spread out and thinnish. OTOH, my DS1 made the same recipe a month ago, applying every one of my theories except the flour one, and his were perfect.

All of this to say that it is a complete mystery to me. :-)

Edited by RoughCollie

Same thing happened to me. I made 3 batches of sugar cookies on 3 different days. Each time the dough would not 'cream' it stayed dry and crumbly. I kept adding butter. One batch I ended up using 3 sticks instead of 2.:willy_nilly:

They baked fine however; small amount of spreading, and tasted great. But I have never had cookie dough come out so strange before. I even changed brands of butter and increased softness until it was practically runny.

No one eating the cookies seemed to tell the difference.

Oh, boy--thanks so much everyone! Let me see if I can address the things you all said...

--did use butter and it wasn't melty

--used baking soda, not powder. I did notice just now that the expiration date was 10/20/10, but would it really go bad that quickly?

--have used the recipe successfully before, although it's been a few years

Lisa, I laughed when I typed "sugar cookie content"--I"m weird, too!

--he shortening wasn't old, nor the pans and things dirty

--refrigerated the dough overnight

--didn't use a mixer--mixed by hand

--cookie sheets weren't warm

--oven seems accurate on other things

Denise, no way I'm in for 3 batches! I mess up once and I'm DONE! :D I admire your persistence!

--the dough didn't have a funny flavor (like popcorn! :lol:), but the texture was off

--dough was mixed well, as far as I could mix it since the texture was dry

So, anyway...many thanks again for chiming in. I'm going to try again next week, I think, and definitely get new baking soda first. I'm so disappointed, though. The cookies are what my mom wanted me to take for dinner tomorrow.

Merry Christmas to all!

My secret for fluffy not flat cookies is 3 oz of cream cheese. I add it to sugar cookies, choc chip etc. Makes them nice and puffy and taste great too. :D

Mmmmm...sounds delish! I decided to whip up some peanut butter cookies today--w/chocolate stars pressed into the tops of some. They went over really well w/all the family!