Menu

Reading improvement through glasses?

RainbowSprinkles

We just got back from an eye exam for my two older dc. I had told her that ds6 quickly gets tired and starts rubbing his eyes while he practices reading. She said that my ds would benefit from a pair of readers. His sight is just fine otherwise.

If you bought a pair of glasses for you dc, did it improve their reading skills?

Edited by RainbowSprinkles

We just got back from an eye exam for my two older dc. I had told her that ds6 quickly gets tired and starts rubbing his eyes while he practices reading. She said that my ds would benefit from a pair of readers. His sight is just fine otherwise.

If you bought a pair of glasses for you dc, did it improve their reading skills?

It didn't help here. Paid for bifocals too, not cheap. They didn't work because she likes picture books and the lenses cut the picture in pieces, so the doctor had me run out and pick up a cheap pair of reading glasses in the same strength. That worked but dd HATED using them, thus avoided reading. Her reading increased more when I said she didn't have to wear them anymore. :blink:

The rubbing eyes would be a concern to me, but there could be several reasons why. Teaming issues, focus issues, processing issues or even just glare on the page. You really need to get to the bottom of why he is rubbing his eyes. That is the more illusive and difficult thing to do. For example if it is glare, he might always try to read in low light situations, or you might find he can read longer with a book that has colored or natural pages vs. white.

Heather

Did your 6 yo's sight actually test as needing glasses, or was she just saying that because of your description? I ask because my son was given glasses and I found out later that for kids who need vision therapy, it can actually make things worse if they get them but don't need them. If they don't need the magnification, it can make the eye get a bit lazy. My son did end up needing vision therapy--and I really think the glasses were not only not necessary, but may have exacerbated his issues.

Anyway, I just wasn't sure from the way you posted, if your dd needed them or if this was a "guess" on the part of the optometrist.

Merry :-)

My son....he was about 8 or 9 at the time....still wasn't reading. Part was because he didn't want to, I think... and also because his eyes weren't ready. He would rub his eyes and go through all of the classic gyrations when I would try to get him to read. So I took the kids to get their eyes checked... the Optom... or something or other .... ist said that he needed reading glasses but not permanently. His eyes are still forming and changing and that "for right now" he could use a little ocular help. We got the glasses and ds was amazed...and amazing. While he wasn't thrilled with wearing glasses... the trouble of finding them, they pinched, etc. .... his reading improved greatly!! He is now 10 and a great reader...and he doesn't always use his glasses but sometimes he does (when his eyes are tired?). He says they make the print sharper and easier to read........... I am 49 and now need readers.... I understand exactly what means! LOL

Yes, ds needed both glasses and vision therapy. The glasses have really helped and like PP have noted, his eyes are still developing, so we have actually been reducing the magnification as he grows. The VT is a less obvious improvement in reading, personally I think OT is more useful, but ds definitely does have vision problems that need addressing.