Menu

Home Depot philanthropist providng care military won't provide

"It just doesn't make sense to me. It frustrates me. And it angers me. Kids are wandering around the streets today that will become tomorrow's criminals that were yesterday's heroes. How pathetic is that?

"We owe these kids a hell of a lot more."

How sad. We put them in harm's way, ask their lives of them, and then throw them away when they get home.

:crying:

What a wonderful thing Bernie Marcus is doing for these guys, and yet he can only help a few dozen of the 200,000 or more soldiers who need it. I can understand why he's so angry.

Jackie

No kidding on the :crying:. There have been some excellent pieces in Esquire magazine over the past year on similar topics. Our peace-loving, Grateful Dead-listening family tends to pay so much more attention these days because of the number of Wonderful Young Men in our lives who are in the military or who are military-bound. I think it has taken dh and I two decades to mature enough to realize that marching in protest is probably not going to change mankind's viewpoint on war, so our contribution as a family needs to be on the return and recovery end.

"It just doesn't make sense to me. It frustrates me. And it angers me. Kids are wandering around the streets today that will become tomorrow's criminals that were yesterday's heroes. How pathetic is that?

"We owe these kids a hell of a lot more."

How sad. We put them in harm's way, ask their lives of them, and then throw them away when they get home.

It is easier and more glamorous to be supportive of the handsome, the whole, the strong than it is to be supportive of the maimed, the broken, and the ugly.

This strikes a nerve with me as the mother of a Marine (who is not going to be home at C-mas :crying:). Those broken men are someone's sons, husbands, brothers . . .

Tammy, :grouphug: I am so sorry your son will not be home for the holidays, but I know you must be very proud of him. My dd's boyfriend is home on leave. In February, he will be transferred to Ranger school and when he is finished there, he already knows he will be sent to Afghanistan. He has wanted to be a Ranger since he was a boy and has grown in so many ways since joining the Army. It's just hard...

Canada is no better. Its one of the MANY things that scares the crud out of me, with my eldest going into the Navy in Jan. Substandard equipment (we bought used subs, 3 if I remember right, that then SANK, killing all aboard), low pay, little support once home...

I've taught my kids from day one to support and respect our troops. Now I'm going to start teaching them that the military is NOT an option for their futures...my heart couldn't take another child joining. I'd lose my ever loving mind.

Would be completely different if the government put proper supports in place all around. But they don't and wont. Terrifies me.

Canada is no better. Its one of the MANY things that scares the crud out of me, with my eldest going into the Navy in Jan. Substandard equipment (we bought used subs, 3 if I remember right, that then SANK, killing all aboard), low pay, little support once home...

I've taught my kids from day one to support and respect our troops. Now I'm going to start teaching them that the military is NOT an option for their futures...my heart couldn't take another child joining. I'd lose my ever loving mind.

Would be completely different if the government put proper supports in place all around. But they don't and wont. Terrifies me.

Impish, I don't know if you can teach your kids that the military is not an option. We are the last family I would expect to have a child join the military. My oldest son is committed to joining the Air Force and if they won't have him, he said he'll go to the Coast Guard. We never said, "No military." We just thought given our viewpoints, it would never come up as a choice.

Impish, I don't know if you can teach your kids that the military is not an option. We are the last family I would expect to have a child join the military. My oldest son is committed to joining the Air Force and if they won't have him, he said he'll go to the Coast Guard. We never said, "No military." We just thought given our viewpoints, it would never come up as a choice.

*sigh* I know. I just like to dream sometimes.

While I do agree with the article to some extent. I don't feel that it truly reflects the military as a whole. I was medically evacuated out of theater (Iraq) in June of 2006. I had an array of issues. Lupus, fibromyalgia, TBI, and depression.....all which became symptomatic around the same time. While I can attest that the medical care I received while I was actually in Iraq was very bad. I was accused of faking pain to get out of patrols. It was ridiculous. When they finally figured out what was wrong with me I was medically evacuated.

I spent a little over 2 years at Fort Bragg receiving care for all of the above. I never had a problem attaining care. I had an occupational therapist, shrink, regular doctor, rheumatologist, nephrologist....etc. I also watched others that were very well taken care of there as well. TBI is something that is relatively new for the military and while I'm sure there are some that are not getting the necessary treatment....there are also many that are. I was medically retired in October of 2008. So don't necessarily think that this is true for the military as a whole because I can personally attest that it is not.

Why do you think the public tolerates this?

I am not sure why we do. Perhaps many feel as though they are between a rock and a hard place on this issue. We make a decision as a nation to send our sons, daughters, husbands, and brothers to war. I think it is human nature when we make a difficult decision that has a painful or tragic outcome that we find those outcomes difficult to look at square on. We are often uncomfortable with people who are "marred" or "damaged." It is worse if we have a hand in that damage.

I also still don't think there is enough public exposure. There is a fine line to be maintained between shedding light on a such a gross failing on our part and respecting the privacy of our service people.

Perhaps others can link stories that are inspiring or opportunities to help our veterans. I always see efforts to coordinate boxes for our active soldiers but see very little about efforts to help our returned service people and their families. There should be so much more that we can do, but I think it is going to take thinking far outside the box like Marcus did in order to do the best job possible.

While I do agree with the article to some extent. I don't feel that it truly reflects the military as a whole. I was medically evacuated out of theater (Iraq) in June of 2006. I had an array of issues. Lupus, fibromyalgia, TBI, and depression.....all which became symptomatic around the same time. While I can attest that the medical care I received while I was actually in Iraq was very bad. I was accused of faking pain to get out of patrols. It was ridiculous. When they finally figured out what was wrong with me I was medically evacuated.

I spent a little over 2 years at Fort Bragg receiving care for all of the above. I never had a problem attaining care. I had an occupational therapist, shrink, regular doctor, rheumatologist, nephrologist....etc. I also watched others that were very well taken care of there as well. TBI is something that is relatively new for the military and while I'm sure there are some that are not getting the necessary treatment....there are also many that are. I was medically retired in October of 2008. So don't necessarily think that this is true for the military as a whole because I can personally attest that it is not.

Andrea, thank you for providing a balanced perspective and thank you too for your service. Best wishes for a wonderful holiday season to you and your family.