Menu

Where do you get costumes?

DH and I are invited to a costume birthday party in a few weeks. Neither of us are really "into" this kind of thing but we want to participate. Is it easiest to order something online or should I try to put something together on my own? Also, I don't want to spend a whole lot of money on the costumes.

Help please all you creative ones.

We once went as the King and Queen of Hearts. We made sandwich boards for the playing cards using 4 pieces of poster board, string and markers.

Other ideas from my kids ... Black Eyed Peas. Dress in black, use makeup to black out one eye. Use masking tape to make a big 'P' on your shirt. Smartie Pants ... tape a bunch of Smarties candies to your pants (might not want to put any on the seat area unless you want to stand all night. Tornadoes ... tape small toy animals, matchbox cars, toothpicks, etc to your clothes in a spiral pattern. Add some dryer lint for the clouds.

hth,

DH and I are invited to a costume birthday party in a few weeks. Neither of us are really "into" this kind of thing but we want to participate. Is it easiest to order something online or should I try to put something together on my own? Also' date=' I don't want to spend a whole lot of money on the costumes.

Help please all you creative ones.[/quote']

We usually pull them together from the Goodwill. Once you have an idea of what you want to be, you can get a sense of the kind of garments you'll need to look for. An easy one would be a cowgirl/cowboy kind of theme - red gingham shirts, jeans (or jean skirt), pigtails, and if you can find them cowboy shirts. Historical themes are usually pretty easy. A linen shirt and rugged pants (possibly cropped at the knee) for him, a long skirt and apron for you covers many periods - fill in the details with the hats you choose, and accessorize accordingly. Pirates are fun - the details will make it work here - hoop earrings, big blous-y shirts, full skirt for you and again with the rugged pants for him. Belts with big buckles, scarf for head and/or waist, boots or sandals. Characters from comics or video games are usually easy - they often have a logo of some sort, which can be done in felt, and that's half the battle.

Do you have an idea of what you'd like to go as?

Does your husband or someone have an overcoat? An old boom box laying around?

Throw that on him, add the appropriate music and you've got Lloyd Dobler!

I tried to copy the picture for the full effect, but I couldn't get it to copy. So I'll link it instead.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098258/

It's super easy. And one of the the best John Cusack moments. And 80's love story moments.

Now just find you something 80's iconic and you are good to go.

This is a picture of my girls' halloween costumes. They were presents. One was in a box, and the other was in a gift bag. The gift bag worked out much better, although they were both cute. The one in the box couldn't sit, and the box extended a little too low, so she couldn't lift her legs quite enough when walking.

Those are great costumes! I love them!