Menu

MCP math and Mastery approach

moki4

:)Just wondering if any of you have used MCP math. I am switching from Calvert to ??????

I really like the mastery approach, and Calvert comes close, but it is one grade level below other comparable programs.

My oldest is finishing Saxon and moving on to VT algebra. I know Saxon, and it will not work for us!

The others, like Horizons, MUS, and Singapore, I have reviewed and really won't work, either!

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Moki4

I have been looking at MCP math and it doesn't seem as advanced as other programs. So you might be in the same boat as with Calvert. You can go to CBD and look at a bunch of samples.

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find?Ntk=keywords&Ntt=MCP+mathematics&action=Search&N=0&Ne=0&event=ESRCN&nav_search=1&cms=1&Go.x=23&Go.y=8

Why not just use Calvert a grade higher if you like it?

Have you looked at Christian Light Math ? It is about a year ahead . NOt a colorful program but have heard wonderful things about it . We're going to probably give it a try this coming school year . Its not mastery but spiral like Saxon .

Are you willing to use a math program from a Christian Publisher ? Because Bob Jones math is similar to Calvert math ... but BETTER !

MCP math is about a year ahead . My daughter was using Bob Jones math and I bought the MCP math just to see what it was like and it was definitley a year behind .

I have heard though of many people using it and liking it and their children do well with it . I don't think though wether its ahead or behind is important as much as if it will work for your child what is really the most important .

I think MCP is good if you are a gifted teacher and like to play other games and pose problems that help a child to understand concepts thoroughly. I used MCP with Miquon for my oldest for grade one and K and found that she understood everything that SIngapore wanted her to understand when we reviewed the grade one SIngapore books together. Then when it came to my second child who used MCP and some Miquon, she got bogged down with subtracting with renaming (regrouping) and I found out that she wasn't clear on which number is to be subtracted from which one and that we needed to switch to Singapore and review all of grade one to get her to the point where she can really subtract and understand what is happening.

So perhaps I am not such a good math teacher or my second child is particularly dense, but we did need the Singapore style to drive just the basics home well. Singapore poses IQ test type problems in its intensive math problem books which I find are very good.

If you use MCP you will have to do a lot more inventing of problems and playing of games to supplement. It teaches 2+2 =4, but doesn't dwell a lot on x+2=4. There are problems of that nature, but not given in a way that really challenges. My second daughter just gave the right answer without understanding why it was right.

Thanks to all!

Yes, I have already moved 2 kiddos one yr ahead in math. We are finishing up with calvert now, and really the problem I thought I was having may be nonexistent! We test our kids (Ca tests) and received study booklets. Well, there were a few math concepts not even taught yet in our so-called-one-year-ahead calvert math.

But, when test day(s) ascended on us, I got to see the test, and it was so easy for my kids, unbelievably so! So, maybe I will stick with Calvert:confused:

Someone said that MCP math is behind a grade level, but also said that they are ahead a grade level. Now I am really confused!

I will look into BJ math,also. We did see sampler DVD of MUS, and Oh My, I never learned math in that manner. My kids watched with me and we all just sat there..."what was that!" Just so different from how I learned. So that is a big "NO". Thanks again........

Oh gosh, one more question for TT users, how does it compare to other elementary math programs????

Moki4:)

I use MCP math. And I disagree that is is not as advanced as other programs. And you don't have to be a gifted teacher to use it. That doesn't mean it is the right choice for everyone, but I don't think those things are really true.

I do have math degrees but am not a gifted teacher. My children are naturally good with math, but not crazily gifted. They just get it.

My 4th ds is working at the end of book E now. I have compared content to other programs and don't feel that it is less advanced or more advanced. It is a solid basal program. It is mastery. I think it does math like it used to be done when I learned. It also does dwell on things like x + 2 = 4. I don't think, that if it didn't work for your child, that means the child or you are dense or not a good teacher, it just means a different approach is better for you.

My son has been tested after using this program and is doing very well in this area. I do not supplement with anything else. The way the problems are presented works great for us. It is no frills, but thorough. As a comparison to other programs and what is being done in the schools here (which are very good), MCP more than measures up, IMO. I think it would just be a matter of compatibility of style.

After MCP, we are going to move in to Singapore perhaps. That is my plan right now, anyway. I am still investigating that next step.

If you think it is the right approach for you, I don't think you need to worry about whether or not it is a good program. I think it is. Others don't, but then others use things that I don't care for either. Doesn't mean they aren't good. They just are not the right choice for us. I am not trying to put down others program choices, just defending my own choice as being a very well-done program for math.

My kids have been using MCP since K.

My oldest is finishing the 6th grade book this year. I don't see it as behind. His ITBS scores are OVER 80% with no trouble at all.

In fact, I'm considering skipping the Lial BCM I bought to use next year bacause everything will be reivew for him except solving equations with two variables.

However, if you want a scripted program that explains the math to the teacher...MCP is not what you want to chose.

It is nothing like Saxon.

OK, it is reassuring to hear some "positives"!

Thanks to the Mom with the Math major....I appreciate your explanation. I truely like the mastery approach, and I really dont like Saxon (spiral).

What do you mean, "not scripted"? Does it provide a good, yet brief explanation of the topic introduced? Say, for example, when changing units of measure:

inches to feet=small to bigger, so you need to divide (this is the calvert way)

inches to feet=use the appropriate unit multiplyer

(saxon way)...Thanks so much for your input!!!!!!!!

We are using MCP grade 2 and I also have to disagree with it being behind a grade..... I feel that it is right on track. It is simple to use, I have no math degree or anything. We don't even use the TM but my dd is doing just fine with it.....

However, I think we will be using BJU next year.... I wanted something that is a little different and want to incorporate Right start games to help "drill".

HTH's,

kate

I have used MCP (two levels) and also Singapore (.5 year) and CLE (two units). CLE is very much like Saxon. Chances are if Saxon doesn't work for you, CLE will also be wrong.

I am going to try BJU Math this next year and hope to stay with that company till ds graduates. My reason for switching from MCP is that while it is on the same level as other programs (perhaps behind CLE or Singapore, which are a bit advanced), I felt I needed more in the way of instructional helps. My MCP Level A teacher manual didn't have the same number of activities as the Level K one, and I knew from looking at a friend's levels C and D that the number continues to decrease dramatically.

I have thoroughly looked over the BJU set for second grade, and I am pleased with the larger number of activities and concept-developing hints given.

For us, BJU appears to be a more appropriate choice.

Along with what some others have said about MCP and in addition to what I already said about it:

Re: scripting:

It is not "scripted". I honestly don't do a lot of "teaching" math with my kids. For example, in ds's book, there is a chapter on measurement. There will be 2 pages working on developing a single idea. For 2 pages, it will be about using units of time (since you asked about measurement). The first page is the developing the skill page. It starts off with a word type problem as an example introducing the concept and showing how to work the problems of those 2 pages. Then there will be something written more concisely such as: To rename larger units as smaller units, we multiply.

To rename smaller units as larger units, we divide.

Then at the bottom of the page will be a few problems in which to get the student started on this particular concept.

THe 2nd page consists of more practice problems and an apply section (word problems). Sometimes there are "excursions" which will further develop the concept in a different way, perhaps.

Each chapter also has a 2 page section with Application problems that are often quite challenging.

Does this help explain?

As far as the activities go, this is not a manipulative based program. You can certainly use things that you have in order to help grasp a concept here and there. But it does not lay it out for you in specific terms. I think that might be what SnowWhite was referring to in her post for what she was looking for. (if I understood that correctly)

Hope this helps. There are so many choices that are good. It is hard to make decisions sometimes!