Menu

Please share your buckeye recipe + cakeball?

PEANUT BUTTER BUCKEYES

10-2/3 Tbsp butter

1 C peanut butter

4 C confectioners sugar

2 C chocolate chips

Mix top ingredients.

Roll into 1†balls.

Stick a toothpick into each and chill.

Melt chocolate in a double boiler.

Dip each peanut butter ball into the melted chocolate.

Place on wax paper to cool.

Makes 50-75

Have you made cakeballs before?

If not, I want to warn you: They are a lot of work for very little reward, IMO.

You need to make a cake, crumble the cake, mix in frosting, form the balls, dip the balls and then decorate the balls. I think you get less than 3 dozen balls out of a cake mix.

And I don't think they taste that good...and I have a sweet tooth! If it has sugar and fat in it, I usually love it. Cake balls were blech.

Did you try bakerella for detailed instructions?

ETA: Don't let me discourage you if you want to try them. I know many people love them!

Edited by unsinkable

I just made some cake balls for Christmas, I used red velvet cake with vanilla frosting and dipped in white chocolate, cake made a pretty red christmas color :001_smile:

I haven't made them, and I do agree, it does seem like a lot of work, but the pictures of these make me want to make them! I think they end up looking beautiful and very festive!

If you do these, or really any with a darker outside /lighter inside (or even vice versa) keep some of the orginal cake aside. Let it dry out a bit (maybe even put it into a low oven for a few minutes) and then gently crumble or even grate it so you can sprinkle it over the balls. The red cake dusting over the white coating just makes them look extra yummy!

But then I can also see being disappointed in them. I often have that problem with bakery items. The taste doesn't live up to how good I think it should be based on how it looks.

Good luck. So far the only thing stopping me from making the red velvet ones is I know I'd eat far too many and no one else around here would care enough. I've learned the secret is make things they love that I don't like! (Things with mint for instance! Mint chocolate chip cookies!). They are happy, get their special snacks, and I get to show them a little love from teh kitchen. But I don't have to worry about wanting to eat any of it!So much safer for my waistline all the way around! (pun intended! LOL!):001_smile:

But I would really like for SOMEONE i know IRL to make these. I want to try one. Just one. Okay maybe two! But I can stop at two a whole lot easier if they are living in someone else's house/kitchen!

Buckeye Recipe

1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter

1/2 cup butter, softened

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (I used 3 1/2 cups, and I sifted)

6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips

2 tablespoons shortening (I used butter instead)

Line a baking sheet with waxed paper; set aside.

In a medium bowl, mix peanut butter, butter, vanilla, and confectioners' sugar with hands to form a smooth stiff dough. Shape into balls using 2 teaspoons of dough for each ball. (Made mine smaller.) Place on prepared pan, and refrigerate. I inserted toothpicks prior to refrigeration.

Melt shortening and chocolate together in a metal bowl over a pan of lightly simmering water. Stir occasionally until smooth, and remove from heat. (I melted the butter & chocolate chips in the microwave instead.)

Remove balls from refrigerator. Insert a wooden toothpick into a ball, and dip into melted chocolate. Return to wax paper, chocolate side down, and remove toothpick. Repeat with remaining balls. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to set.

oh I make them often!!

They seem like a lot of work, but I do them very small! I usually get around 90 cake balls! I have done so many flavors:

Please pop over to my blog for a picture tutorial!

Wonderful tutorial!

What a great, happy time this looks like. You & your family look like you are having so much fun!

(and I am jealous of your curly hair! :D)

I made Creme de Menthe cakeballs that were awesomely yummy!

Just make them with chocolate cake, a little buttercream and mix in chopped Andes mints. I coated them in white chocolate then added a green tinted white chocolate drizzle. They went over very well! You could make some with red drizzle and some with green for a real holiday look. I never thought they were a lot of work. I am used to decorating cakes though so making cakeballs is like a vacation for me. I get the girls to help and it goes fast. :)