Menu

mincemeat pie recipes?

My husband is asking for a mincemeat pie for Christmas. He grew up with British relatives and so tends to like that type of food. (we will also have a Christmas Pudding with Hard Sauce). Anyone have a REALLY good mincemeat recipe they can share? He doesn't think the ones he grew up eating actually had meat in them, but isn't sure.

Thanks!

I found mincemeat in a jar at the grocery store for Thanksgiving - sorry, but I don't remember the brand name. It took a bit of perserverance to find it - it was in "the back" as opposed to on the shelf! Anyway, I bought pre-made pie crust, pillsbury I think, and used those. Easy-peasy....

yum!! But only my dad and I like it.

Anne

My husband is asking for a mincemeat pie for Christmas. He grew up with British relatives and so tends to like that type of food. (we will also have a Christmas Pudding with Hard Sauce). Anyone have a REALLY good mincemeat recipe they can share? He doesn't think the ones he grew up eating actually had meat in them, but isn't sure.

I'll be listening, because I love mincemeat pie and I don't have a "real" recipe. I've been making one every Thanksgiving for years because my mom loves it, and I've been following her instructions:

1 jar Grandma's rum mincemeat (must be Grandma's - mom declares the other brands are yucky)

a small apple minced

a bunch of raisins

soak the latter two ingredients for hours in lots of rum.

Mix jarred stuff and real stuff (including rum) together and fill pie. Serve with whipped cream and/or vanilla ice cream.

Most mincemeat recipes don't have meat. I think they're mostly apples and raisins. After mincing the one apple, I've been wondering why I don't just mince more and chuck the jar, but I'm not sure if there's something I'd be missing...

:bigear:

Mutton, pork and/or beef for authentic mincemeat.

Ground meat raisins and rum if I'm not mistaken. I suppose I'll go get my cookbook and type in a recipe. Stand by a few minutes.

ETA: I don't have a mincemeat recipe, but I do have a good mince recipe i.e. no meat.

1 double pie crust.

3 medium apples, peeled, cored and chopped to 3/4 inch chunks

1 cup walnuts

1 cup sugar

1/4 cup apple juice

1/4 cup brandy

4 Tablespoons butter

zest of 1/2 a lemon

1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

Use half of the pie crust in bottom of 9-pie pan. Set aside other half for lattice or closed top crust.

Combine all remaining ingredients in heavy sauce pan. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Continue to simmer, stirring frequently, until fruit is glazed in a thick syrup and bottom of pan is almost dry. About 20-30 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Pour filling into prepared pie crust. Cover with lattice or closed top crust (don't forget to slice vents) at 400*F for 30 minutes. Reduce heat and bake an additional 20-30 minutes. Crust will be deep golden brown.

This recipe contains the meat, and seems pretty authentic. It has been so long since I've actually made one with meat (I"m the only one who likes it.) that I can't remember exactly.

Edited by Parrothead

Fanny Farmer's mincemeat recipe is excellent but old-fashioned (actually contains meat, huge quantity but freezes and cans well).

Modern mincemeat pies (at least, any I had in the UK) do not actually contain meat. I've used canned mincemeat from the store with decent success.

It is called mincemeat because originally it contained minced (ground) meat.