Menu

Has anyone heard of these book series?

lisabees

I am trying to find some new books for ds11, who loves fantasy. Any reviews for these books? (I added specific titles)

The Stoneheart Trilogy (Stoneheart, Ironhand, Silvertongue)

The Tapestry (The Hound of Rown, The Second Siege, The Fiend and the Forge)

Cronus Chronicles (The Shadow Thieves, The Siren Song, The Immortal Fire)

Lionboy

Charlie Bone

I'm looking for fun reading, but he appreciates good writing. I also need it to be age appropriate.

Thanks. :001_smile:

Edited by lisabees

I have read the Lion boy books, two or three? -can't remember now. Great books, I recommend them to other parents, very clean, the story is pretty thrilling. They take place on Earth, but a bit different- kind of futuristic where people of wealth have moved to protected/closed communities run by big corporations- asthma has become a big health deal, with many many children allergic to cats. I really, really liked the story.

I haven't heard of any of these and fantasy is our favorite genre!

Recently hot at our house are Michael Scott's Secrets of the Immortal Nicolas Flamel series.

The Sister's Grimm series is a lot of fun.

Ooh, right how about The Ranger's Apprentice series, good boy series that one.

One of my all time favorites is David Edding's Belgariad series.

Of course the are classics like George R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire and Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising but I don't remember them well enough to comment on the appropriateness. (anyone?)

The Stoneheart Trilogy (Stoneheart, Ironhand, Silvertongue)

I tried reading this series and never made it through the first book.

The Tapestry (The Hound of Rown, The Second Siege, The Fiend and the Forge)

This series is pretty good. My library only has the first two books, so that's all I've read. My two older girls have read the first book and I think my middle read the second book as well.

Cronus Chronicles (The Shadow Thieves, The Siren Song, The Immortal Fire)

I haven't read this series, but a 12yo friend of my girls recommended it to them.

Lionboy

This is a GREAT series. I've only read it once, but my youngest loved the series and listened to it on audio in the living room at least 10x, so I've actually been through it many times. All three of my girls loved it.

Charlie Bone

I've only read the first book. It was pretty good, but I never had any desire to pick up the others. We own the entire series because my oldest asked for it for Christmas several years ago. She never made it past the 2nd book.

T

Lizzie - ds has read most of your suggestions, except for Belgariad and Song of Ice and Fire. They both look too mature for him (?).

In my opinion The Song of Ice and Fire books are NOT appropriate for an 11 year old. I double checked at Amazon before I responded to make sure they were the books I was thinking of. I read the first two or three books before I stopped. :eek: I love fantasy, it's my favorite genre, but these were very explicit (language and adult situations) and a little strange.

It has been a couple years since I've read the Belgariad. I usually read it once a year :D It is one of my favorites! I gave it to my 15yo dd last year. I would say that the first couple books of the Belgariad are pretty safe. Maybe check it out yourself and read it (great books!) and see what you think. If you decide to let him read them. I would wait a couple years on the second series called the Mallorean. Those are a little more mature. The Belgariad has its own ending so he won't miss anything be waiting.

My older dd read the first two books in the Cronus Chronicles. She said that she enjoyed them, but they were a little creepy in parts, very Greek Mythology but unlike Percy Jackson its deals mostly with the Underworld. She thinks 11 would be fine. (She has a 10yo little sister so she's pretty good about catching what is good or not ;))

I haven't heard of any of these and fantasy is our favorite genre!

Recently hot at our house are Michael Scott's Secrets of the Immortal Nicolas Flamel series.

The Sister's Grimm series is a lot of fun.

Ooh, right how about The Ranger's Apprentice series, good boy series that one.

One of my all time favorites is David Edding's Belgariad series.

Of course the are classics like George R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire and Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising but I don't remember them well enough to comment on the appropriateness. (anyone?)

So happy to hear all these recommendations! Just got my ds the Secrets of the Immortal Nicolas Flamel series for his birthday tomorrow and was hoping it was a good one. We recently got the first Ranger's Apprentice book as well, I have liked i anyway.

In my opinion The Song of Ice and Fire books are NOT appropriate for an 11 year old. I double checked at Amazon before I responded to make sure they were the books I was thinking of. I read the first two or three books before I stopped. :eek: I love fantasy, it's my favorite genre, but these were very explicit (language and adult situations) and a little strange.

It has been a couple years since I've read the Belgariad. I usually read it once a year :D It is one of my favorites! I gave it to my 15yo dd last year. I would say that the first couple books of the Belgariad are pretty safe. Maybe check it out yourself and read it (great books!) and see what you think. If you decide to let him read them. I would wait a couple years on the second series called the Mallorean. Those are a little more mature. The Belgariad has its own ending so he won't miss anything be waiting.

My older dd read the first two books in the Cronus Chronicles. She said that she enjoyed them, but they were a little creepy in parts, very Greek Mythology but unlike Percy Jackson its deals mostly with the Underworld. She thinks 11 would be fine. (She has a 10yo little sister so she's pretty good about catching what is good or not ;))

Angel, tell your dd I said thank you. And tell her to check out her blog. I was able to leave comments via Safari (I usually use Firefox)!!

Angel, tell your dd I said thank you. And tell her to check out her blog. I was able to leave comments via Safari (I usually use Firefox)!!

Geez, Lisa, I should have made the connection that it was you. :001_rolleyes: It's great that you finally figured out the comments! Dd said Very Cool! That's exciting :D

If you are at all interested in fantasy, check out the Belgariad. I forgot to add that I think some here on the boards use this series as a read aloud!

• 6 months later...
Thank you everyone! Glad to hear good things about some of those! I read the sample of Lionboy and I was hooked after a few pages. ;)

Lizzie - ds has read most of your suggestions, except for Belgariad and Song of Ice and Fire. They both look too mature for him (?).

Right you are, NOT for kids, my bad. I don't know what I was thinking.

Belgariad series though I let my 14 year old read and on re-reading myself, still ok, still fabulous.