Menu

Sad Truth: If you bake cookies...you will eat cookies

Guest Katia

Sigh. So much for my diet. So much for going without any wheat (gluten intolerance) since July. So much for those 30 pounds I've lost.

The kids are coming home for Christmas and they requested that Mom bake cookies. Lots of cookies. So.....I'm complying. And it's fun, but.....I can't manage to stay out of them!! Ack!

I want my kids to enjoy their Christmas. I want it to be all fuzzy and if it takes cookies.....great. But, how can I keep my grubby little paws out of them?

This is much worse than I thought it would be. 'People' say that when you stop eating sugar you don't crave it and when you eat it again it tastes funny. Well.....that's a bunch of bull. I've never stopped craving it in the last 4 1/2 months, and now.....ahhhhh.

Maybe Christmas cookies are magical somehow and the flour and sugar won't affect me.

Maybe Christmas cookies are magical somehow and the flour and sugar won't affect me.

Oh, I like this idea. I've also been eating the cookies. It seems every time I go into the kitchen I take one or two or three. At this rate I won't have any left to give to people. Perhaps I should have my kids hide them.

Sigh. So much for my diet. So much for going without any wheat (gluten intolerance) since July. So much for those 30 pounds I've lost.

Hey! What's up with the end of the world thinking there? :tongue_smilie:

Having some treats over the holidays doesn't mean that you've ditched your plans for healthier eating and it most certainly doesn't mean that the 30lbs that you've lost are somehow gonna come POOF right back overnight.

I don't believe in making foods 'forbidden' ~ there's room in everyone's life for a few cookies. ;)

The kids are coming home for Christmas and they requested that Mom bake cookies. Lots of cookies. So.....I'm complying. And it's fun, but.....I can't manage to stay out of them!! Ack!

I want my kids to enjoy their Christmas. I want it to be all fuzzy and if it takes cookies.....great. But, how can I keep my grubby little paws out of them?

This is much worse than I thought it would be. 'People' say that when you stop eating sugar you don't crave it and when you eat it again it tastes funny. Well.....that's a bunch of bull. I've never stopped craving it in the last 4 1/2 months, and now.....ahhhhh.

:iagree: Same exact thing is happening to me. I make the cookies for the kids. The want them. We take them to about 10 different parties. I don't even want any. But here I am, eating way too many of them. Dang!

There's a quote I like. It goes something like this:

"People are so worried about what they eat between Christmas and the New Year, when they SHOULD be worried about what they eat between the New Year and Christmas."

Eating some cookies around the holidays doesn't negate any of your accomplishments so far. And while you may be "up" on the scale for a couple of days afterward, you'll be able to take it right back off, if you're right back on track.

Losing weight and getting healthy isn't about how things go over any one day, or week, or weigh in, or holiday...it's about changes you make to your lifestyle for the long term. And you've been doing that- since July! You should be proud of yourself! :)

It's okay to enjoy treats now and then. But if you want to stop enjoying and you're having a hard time doing so, you could try brushing your teeth, keeping gum or a piece of sucking candy in your mouth, drinking ice water, eating a meal so you're not hungry when you start baking, etc.

I am right there with you. It is disheartening, to say the least. I have a ton more baking ingredients in my pantry that I'm ignoring at the moment, even though my dh and kids keep asking when we're going to bake more. My clothes are starting to get tight, I'm feeling terrible, I'm getting migraines . . . it's just not worth it. I just ran to the store and stocked up on green veggies. :tongue_smilie:

I think that it was overindulging on Christmas cookies last year that made me transition from being able to tolerate a small quantity of wheat to being unable to tolerate it at all. I have made 19 dozen cookies so far this month and have not been tempted at all -- I know how sick I would feel after just one.

Ok, so maybe get a small tin and put in all of your favorites. Give yourself permission to eat everything in the tin between now and Christmas. When they are gone it's over. Would that help?

Really, you've had the discipline to lose essentially five lbs a month so far. You can have discipline over this too while still enjoying the holiday with your children.

Kids. Sigh.

My kids have been listening to some old books on tape where the moms greet the kids from school each day with cookies or homemade cakes. My kids wondered why we don't have cookies and cakes every day after school.

It's because Mommy would EAT the cookies and cakes every day after school.

I'm sitting here typing this with an unhappy tummy because I just gorged on the raw oatmeal cookie dough. But, OH, it tasted good going down. (Maybe if I drink some milk, it will negate my Unhappy Sugar Tummy.)

Oh, I like this idea. I've also been eating the cookies. It seems every time I go into the kitchen I take one or two or three. At this rate I won't have any left to give to people. Perhaps I should have my kids hide them.

Exactly. I'm trying to get them all baked and ready for when the kids get here next weekend. At the rate I'm consuming them, there won't be any left for the kids. :glare:

Hey! What's up with the end of the world thinking there? :tongue_smilie:

Having some treats over the holidays doesn't mean that you've ditched your plans for healthier eating and it most certainly doesn't mean that the 30lbs that you've lost are somehow gonna come POOF right back overnight.

I don't believe in making foods 'forbidden' ~ there's room in everyone's life for a few cookies. ;)

It's not the pounds so much as the ingredients in the cookies. Losing the weight was nice, but it wasn't the goal. The goal was health and to do that, I need to make myself stay completely away from flour and sugar. The problem is that it creeps up on me; it isn't an instant reaction. It would be better if it were. :D

Lol, I couldn't agree more with you. My mom is going through the same thing, here is what she does to make it seem like you are not eating alot: Use a small nice plate, maybe your favorite one and eat the cookies off of that! :lol:

Instead of a small plate, I used a napkin. That was even smaller!!! But......I filled it three times. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: Same exact thing is happening to me. I make the cookies for the kids. The want them. We take them to about 10 different parties. I don't even want any. But here I am, eating way too many of them. Dang!

Yep. I thought I had a serious handle on this one. I really, REALLY did not even want any. But, dang, here I am eating way too many, too. At least I have company here. :grouphug: I'm not alone. :D

T

It's okay to enjoy treats now and then. But if you want to stop enjoying and you're having a hard time doing so, you could try brushing your teeth, keeping gum or a piece of sucking candy in your mouth, drinking ice water, eating a meal so you're not hungry when you start baking, etc.

The first day, I did this: I made a really good meal first and I didn't have one single bite. Well, until I was packing them away.....then I thought, "what if these are terrible! I haven't even tasted one bite!" So, I tasted one of each cookie. You know, just to be sure ;)

So, today, when I got munchy, I remembered how wonderful those little tastes were. Silly me. I'd have been better off not to have tasted them at all.

I am right there with you. It is disheartening, to say the least. I have a ton more baking ingredients in my pantry that I'm ignoring at the moment, even though my dh and kids keep asking when we're going to bake more. My clothes are starting to get tight, I'm feeling terrible, I'm getting migraines . . . it's just not worth it. I just ran to the store and stocked up on green veggies. :tongue_smilie:

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I think that's why I posted. I'm starting to feel yucky after only a few. I'm off to the store for some healthy food tomorrow. Yesterday was a blizzard and today we had wind chills of 30 below zero. Not a good day to go anywhere.

I think that it was overindulging on Christmas cookies last year that made me transition from being able to tolerate a small quantity of wheat to being unable to tolerate it at all. I have made 19 dozen cookies so far this month and have not been tempted at all -- I know how sick I would feel after just one.

I did fine yesterday. Today....not so much. I wish I would feel terrible after just one. It would be easier to stop.

Kids. Sigh.

My kids have been listening to some old books on tape where the moms greet the kids from school each day with cookies or homemade cakes. My kids wondered why we don't have cookies and cakes every day after school.

It's because Mommy would EAT the cookies and cakes every day after school.

I'm sitting here typing this with an unhappy tummy because I just gorged on the raw oatmeal cookie dough. But, OH, it tasted good going down. (Maybe if I drink some milk, it will negate my Unhappy Sugar Tummy.)

Oh, my gosh. I LOVE raw cookie dough. I've tried so hard not to eat any this year, but if I had made oatmeal cookies.....I couldn't have resisted either. That is the BEST, out-of-this-world food. And, if it had raw eggs in it, it could only have been healthy for you. (I grew up in the 70s when we all put raw eggs in our smoothies to make them healthier :D)