Menu

FLL brag...

Congratulations! That is so exciting!

I am guessing that FLL in this case does not stand for First Language Lessons....:tongue_smilie:

Ack! Too many TLA's, heh. No, in this case it's FIRST Lego League - it's a robotics competition, with teams all over the US as well as the world. We've been lucky enough to meet teams from Britain, Iceland, Germany- it's so cool!

Congratulations! That's wonderful! Where in St. Louis will the World Festival be held?

Thanks!

It will be in the America's Center/Edward Jones Dome. It's a 3-day event, and I'm expecting the tournament will plan tours to the arch, etc, as well. (At least I hope so! We're definitely planning on sightseeing!)

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! No chance you were at the TN state competition? Would just be cool if we'd seen y'all. What your team accomplished is amazing. Our team was blown away by what we saw at competition. And to win the whole thing!! Wow! Tell your team the MechAlliance is rooting for them!! Best of luck in St. Louis!

BTW - Our team won a teamwork trophy yesterday and are so psyched!! FLL is the best organization. My kids chattered the whole time about the great judges and volunteers they met and how they all want to become engineers. :)

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! No chance you were at the TN state competition? Would just be cool if we'd seen y'all. What your team accomplished is amazing. Our team was blown away by what we saw at competition. And to win the whole thing!! Wow! Tell your team the MechAlliance is rooting for them!! Best of luck in St. Louis!

BTW - Our team won a teamwork trophy yesterday and are so psyched!! FLL is the best organization. My kids chattered the whole time about the great judges and volunteers they met and how they all want to become engineers. :)

Awww, thank you so much! Nope, we weren't at TN. Much, much colder. ;)

We are so psyched that they won it all. They work very hard as a team, and have come close at state several times. This year they set a goal to win the state tournament, and busted their chops to make it happen. Yesterday they had a couple of judges with experience at the World Festival level tell them (after the tournament) that if they keep working, they have a real chance of winning World. :w00t::w00t::w00t: They will have to decide if that's a goal they want to shoot for.

Congrats to the MechAlliance! A teamwork trophy is a big deal, they should be very proud of themselves! It sounds like they had FUN, which is the most important thing. Have fun, learn stuff, practice core values. (wear funny hats. :D)

I agree, FLL is awesome. Our team has been together for 5 years, and the stuff they've learned in that amount of time has been phenomenal. My son and a couple of other team members are aging out after this year, and they're already talking about whether they want to move on to FIRST - that would be cool. Those are the kids that go on to become engineers.

We will take the well-wishes of the MechAlliance with us to St. Louis! Thank you so much!

I get it. Congratulations!

I just thought someone was bragging about first grade achievements in grammar. I could imagine the pride: He knows how to define a NOUN!

:party:

:lol:

rofl! Well, some days I'd be thrilled at that level of achievement, even with a 14 and 17 year old. :lol:

We are so looking forward to it! Our family has never been to St. Louis before - what should we be sure to do?

You already mentioned the Arch--that's a must-see, of course. And the Old Courthouse is right there...it's really cool.

City Museum is a very unique, non-museum. It's an active place made of nifty recycled things like an antique fire engine and airplane. It's the favorite place in StL of all 4 of my kids.

The zoo is excellent.

My kids' baseball will be underway--that's always a good time! As a second sports choice, the Cardinals season will have started, too! :lol:

That should keep you busy for a couple of days!

Congratulations from one FLL mom to another! We are waiting for our state championships in January.

How exciting - the kids must be walking on air!

We are crossing our fingers for the Spacebots - practice, practice, practice!!

(And yes, they are walking on air. And I'm frantically trying to get press releases out while ironing tuxedo shirts for tonight's orchestra concert. Not much school is getting done here today.)

You already mentioned the Arch--that's a must-see, of course. And the Old Courthouse is right there...it's really cool.

City Museum is a very unique, non-museum. It's an active place made of nifty recycled things like an antique fire engine and airplane. It's the favorite place in StL of all 4 of my kids.

The zoo is excellent.

My kids' baseball will be underway--that's always a good time! As a second sports choice, the Cardinals season will have started, too! :lol:

That should keep you busy for a couple of days!

Hey, my in-laws just yesterday told us that the courthouse is a must-see. And City Museum sounds awesome! And of course, your kids' baseball if time permits. ;) Thanks for the great ideas!

CONGRATS!

Thanks so much! We're pretty pumped.

Our team won the State Championship today!!

:party:

We are going to World Festival in St. Louis in April. They are one excited team tonight! They've worked incredibly hard this season, and it all paid off.

(Thanks for letting a proud mom brag... :blush: )

Congrats!!! :hurray: That's going to be a very exciting trip to the World Festival!!

We just got back from our state competition this weekend. My son's team took 3rd in robot design, so they were thrilled about that. However, when they announced the winning team, they said something about Idaho not getting any invitations for the national competition this year. Does anyone know how that works? I always just thought that the top team(s) from each state would get to go on to the national competition.

Congratulations! I coach as well. My team won the champions award at their local tournament last weekend. State is in January. This is our third year and the team would love to place at state. They are good, but I don't know about that good. We'll see.

Good luck from the Flying Penguins!

They are correct. Each of the US states get to go based on a lottery system. I think only 75 teams total get to go and that includes all the international winners.

I remember last year at state there was a question about whether our state would get a spot.

Thanks for explaining that :)

• 1 month later...

We won our state championship today! But no World Fest for us this year. Still, the kids did a great job and truly deserve the recognition for being the best team in our state!!!

Our best to all of the teams who are going on to World Festival!! 3 - 2 - 1 LEGO!

• 1 month later...
We won our state championship today! But no World Fest for us this year. Still, the kids did a great job and truly deserve the recognition for being the best team in our state!!!

Our best to all of the teams who are going on to World Festival!! 3 - 2 - 1 LEGO!

Congratulations! Can you tell me how you can win a state championship and not go to the World Fest? Did no-one in your state get to go? I'm not really sure how it all works.

Also, I'd love to see *any* websites related to this, since we are new at it and wanting to start a group for next school year.

Congratulations! Can you tell me how you can win a state championship and not go to the World Fest? Did no-one in your state get to go? I'm not really sure how it all works.

There are a limited number of slots available for World Fest. US states are in a lottery system and only go when their states are chosen. They try not to have a state miss two years in a row. This is an off year for us, so although we are the state champion, we are not able to go. And no, no one in our state gets to go.

Also, I'd love to see *any* websites related to this, since we are new at it and wanting to start a group for next school year.

Here's the official site: http://www.firstlegoleague.org/

I've heard nothing but rave reviews for their science museum.

Congratulations!

Thanks!! And thanks for that link - that museum looks amazing! (AND we have an ASTC membership, so admission would be paid for. I love free. :D)

I was debating whether or not to put personal/geographically identifying info out on the internet, but eh, here goes. :001_unsure: Maybe I can help you and our team at the same time, lol. Let me know if you have more questions - hopefully I can help answer, or at least point in the right direction.

Our team website is http://www.paradiseteams.org/LIP/

AND, they decided to try and get votes for the X Prize Global Innovation Award. I know they'd love it if any WTM'ers or fellow FLL'ers would go and vote for them! (You can vote once a day, so don't be shy!)