Menu

How to improve Focus levels?

tarana

My DD(8) seems to be very distracted. She seems to lack focus (except while reading!) So much so that she needs triple the time required to do any school work. Her time tests are pathetic! She is always looking around to see what others are doing. The same is true in her dance class too. Even when the dance teacher is talking to her she is looking to see how others are reacting. This gives an impression that she does not want to pay attention. Later she makes the same mistake over and over again. When I give her instructions she says "OK OK" in an annoyed tone. or she throws a fit.

How do you make her understand that she focuses the 1st time, no one will repeatedly correct her?

Is there some activities that can improve her distraction level?

She sounds like a dreamer! My ds8 is the same. Focus is definitely an issue. He is distracted soooo easily by his siblings. Do you have any incentives in place? Any reward system? My son can be pretty focused when he wants to play Wii. But, it is a very difficult thing to deal with constantly. Good luck.

Rewards Incentives - If I go that route, then the day will be filled with them. Nothing goes fast! Everything is a drag.

This is a child I had to give a sip of Orange juice for every stroke of a alphabet in Kindergarten!

Sometimes maybe a movie or a favorite snack or a Restaurant works for school work. But nothing helps when she is among other children. She HAS to look around! She is extremely interested in dancing but I don't see the effort. Her teacher even asked me if she was being forced to learn dance. It does not help that her twin is very focussed & finishes her work & learns her steps in one try. Even though DD is smarter than her twin, her lack of attension seems to be making her a less than a average student, while her twin excels.

Sounds like my 8yo ds. He cannot seem to focus long enough to get one math problem done without me sitting there and pointing back at his paper several times. I have tried treating it as a discipline issue, but that gets no where. I can offer rewards and that will work for a time, but then the effect wears off.

I am listening for ideas as well!

A Thought~

Is your DD aware that she is not focused? While you may be talking to her about being focused, that alone probably doesn't solve the problem. When she is spacing-out, bring it to her attention. Ask, "Where are you?" Try making her aware of the situation and have her devise a plan to solve the problem. The object is when she feels herself looking around at all the other kids in dance class she can remind herself to stay focused. It is the beginning of self-discipline.

Your DD may also be trying to find her niche as a twin the same way each child in a family finds their niche.

My sister has a bit of background in special needs and was just telling me last night about some strategies that may apply to any child needing to focus. She says their brain actually needs more input. So have them sit on a therapy ball instead of a chair. The brain needs to think about staying on the ball and it really helps them to focus on their schoolwork. Also, she said a vest with weights added into the pockets helps. I need to read more about the weight thing, but apparently even strenuous lifting is helpful before subjects needing a lot of focus. She was also telling me why some kids need to lie down a lit on their bellies -- they need the stimulation that it provides. So you will see them in their rooms stretched out on their bellies bc/ it helps their sensory integration. Sorry, this isn't my field but may give you some things to consider and to read about. Oh, she said they often give those kids headphones with classical music to listen to as they work, again for the brain to be thinking about something else to sort of occupy it.

My 8yo is a little like you describe. She doesn't apply herself like I know she could. We started doing CM map drills two weeks ago, and my dd is learning some lessons without me nagging her. We are doing this every day right now rather than the once/week that CM recommends. The first couple days she couldn't spell any of the words correctly b/c she didn't truly study them and apply herself. Now two weeks later, she is studying the words and challenging herself to get more right on her next try. I have a chart with each continent, ocean, and state listed and she is marking them off as she learns them. Her goal is to get a new one every day. I am hoping that I can transfer these efforts into other areas.

Long story short, I think I have found a way to motivate her internally to focus and see the results of focusing. Maybe something along those lines would help your dd as well?

My sister has a bit of background in special needs and was just telling me last night about some strategies that may apply to any child needing to focus. She says their brain actually needs more input. So have them sit on a therapy ball instead of a chair. The brain needs to think about staying on the ball and it really helps them to focus on their schoolwork. Also, she said a vest with weights added into the pockets helps. I need to read more about the weight thing, but apparently even strenuous lifting is helpful before subjects needing a lot of focus. She was also telling me why some kids need to lie down a lit on their bellies -- they need the stimulation that it provides. So you will see them in their rooms stretched out on their bellies bc/ it helps their sensory integration. Sorry, this isn't my field but may give you some things to consider and to read about. Oh, she said they often give those kids headphones with classical music to listen to as they work, again for the brain to be thinking about something else to sort of occupy it.

Also, consider using a bean bag & clip board.