Menu

After Bob Books?

Momto5

I'm interested, too. My 8 year old is finally reading without being awful to himself. He is reading Danny and the Dinosaur right now. It's a book with three in one. I figure I would just go through the Cat and Hat, Easy readers at the library.

My oldest went from learning to short novels like Magic Treehouse, so I need some more ideas.

After the 1st two sets of Bob Books, DD was reading fairly well and we decided to branch out. The first things she read were the I Can Read books. mainly some easy Dr. Seuss books (Hop on Pop, Ten Apples Up On Top...things like that). She also read a lot of the baby board books that we had. Lots of times those are very easy for little ones to read. After that we moved on to Little Bear, Frog & Toad, and Amelia Bedlia. I wish I had kept an actual list to help you more, but feel sure others will have lots more actual titles.

Have a good evening!

I'm just at this stage with my daughter. We actually stopped on the last few Bob books, because she just completely lost interest in them.

So we have been picking up early readers (or sometimes called pre-readers) at the library. Some favorites are by Dr. Seuss (Hop on Pop, Green Eggs &Ham, One Fish Two Fish, The Foot Book) and the Henry and Mudge pre-readers.

I have sometimes found it easier to look at Barnes and Noble. Our local branch library doesn't have a big selection. B&N usually does. I probably shouldn't admit to this, bet we will sometimes go book reading at B&N on a rainy day. I occasionally buy, but don't every time.

After we finished Bob books we did early readers too. Here's a list off the top of my head -

- Dr. Seuss books

- Frog & Toad books

- Little Bear books (Elsa Minarek)

- Amelia Bedelia books

- Syd Hoff books

- PD Eastman books

- Pat Brisson "Hot Fudge Hero", "Little Sister, Big Sister" - there are others

- Golly Sisters books (I love Betsy Byars!)

- Mr Putter & Tabby books (also love Cynthia Rylant)

- Poppleton books - these would make both me and my daughter laugh SO hard!

Some places I looked for book ideas were the Sonlight Readers and Read Aloud lists for different grade levels. I also got a book called "Honey For A Child's Heart" by Gladys Hunt that has been really helpful.

HTH!

If you search on Amazon on "DK Readers 1" or "DK Readers 2" (move up through the levels as their reading improves) you can find a lot of interesting nonfiction, as well as some fiction. My daughter enjoyed reading books on animals, insects, basic biographies, and other things like that to go with the fiction. There's some twaddle - movie spinoffs, etc, but I just picked what I wanted her to read. :)

Once I had the book info I search my library catalog online and they have quite a few of them. Guess that depends on the size/quality of your local library though.

The AR Book Finder website has been a great tool for me in finding appropriate books for DD. You can search by title, or by reading level, and in other ways too.

Our library has been great for getting lots of readers - Step Into Reading, I Can Read, Early Beginner, etc.

Our favorite author (other than Suess, because DD seems to have most of those memorized from us reading them to her over and over) for early readers is Arnold Lobel.

Rod & Staff has some great early readers and so does Christian Light and Pathway. We also enjoyed early readers of Little House and Boxcar children. Abeka would be another source of easy readers that are wholesome and fun. Teaching my children to read and watching them develop this skill has been one of the most thrilling experiences! Have fun with it.

For some reason my children all loved the Pathway readers! Simple stories of children's lives so different from their own. (The books sometimes contained grammar errors, but this wasn't a big deal at the time.)

Some kids like Christian Liberty Press nature and history readers. We tried a couple - one of my children liked them, the others were not especially interested.

The neat thing about Step-Into-Reading readers are that they are available in varying degrees of difficulty, progressing from very simple to about 4th grade reading level. They also cover a variety of topics from science and nature to history, simple stories, and much more. They're colorfully illustrated, too, making them high-interest.

Kris

If you search on Amazon on "DK Readers 1" or "DK Readers 2" (move up through the levels as their reading improves) you can find a lot of interesting nonfiction, as well as some fiction. My daughter enjoyed reading books on animals, insects, basic biographies, and other things like that to go with the fiction. There's some twaddle - movie spinoffs, etc, but I just picked what I wanted her to read. :)

Once I had the book info I search my library catalog online and they have quite a few of them. Guess that depends on the size/quality of your local library though.

After Bob books, I used Abeka readers and then just the easy readers at the library. My son loves non-fiction so I really liked the DK readers series and I have just discovered I Can Read has a series on wild animals. He loves them!! Normally I have to assign reading as part of school but today he got out his book on snakes and read it again without any prompting. So if you have a boy who is interested in science you might like that series.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Our library actually has a huge selection of early readers but that is part of the problem. The books are all in a big bin and I need a way to narrow them down. I'll take your lists with me next time I go.

The AR site is also great as are the Primary Phonics readers.

Take a look at the Sonlight readers for Grades 1 and 2. You can start with them as soon as you've covered silent e words. SL's second grade has 3 levels of readers, so there's lots to choose from as your dc progresses. Almost all of these books are easy to find in the library.

Another great list of books for beginning readers is the Literature picks for 1st grade in the Veritas catalog. They even rate them 1, 2 or 3 for difficulty and they should also be easy to find in the library.

We also use the Pathway readers. These are great for building fluency and introduce about 6 to 10 new words per story. They're very engaging and look like chapter books (or "big kid books" as ds said). You can find these at Rainbow Resource.

With Rebecca, we just moved into things like Step Into Reading; any of the books with 1-2-3 levels. From BOB she went into level 2 and now she's onto level 3. Our library has a couple of low shelves with early readers and when we go, I just scan through the titles and pick a couple that look interesting and challenging enough for her. I limit characters/movie spinoffs and screen for content, but otherwise just let her enjoy it. Her nonfiction independent reads have been things like horses, whales - geared towards her current interests.