Menu

Anyone know anything about Mini Coopers?

We have a large pickup and a Yukon. Needless to say, we are looking at something that has good gas mileage. Yes, I know they are small, but with 2 smallish boys (yes, I know they grow), I was wondering about the Mini. Anyone have any experience? Is the gas mileage as good as they say? Do they drive well on the highway (ie do they feel "cheap") Thanks.

I was hoping the backseat would be serviceable enough for my sons (8 and a very small 12) to tool around town in. We would still keep our big cars for big (or those needing comfort) trips, just this to run to things like hockey which is 25 minutes away. How good is her gas mileage?

My husband and I test drove one and we felt like we were in a tin can! Definitely take one for a spin. We traded our 2 SUVs for a Chevy Cobalt and a Honda Civic ... both get great gas mileage, about 26 for the Cobalt (in town) and 27-30 in town for the Civic. We love both cars!

I heard from someone recently that there was going to be a new Mini coming out that had an extended back end for more room. I don't know the details but you could obviously check with the dealer. We bought one of the new Minis when they first came out and it was a blast! It was red w/ white racing stripes and the Union Jack on the top. Just be careful if you buy a Cooper S...it's the turbo version and it's very easy to get it up to 100 mph...it's a blast to drive but a ticket waiting to happen :auto:!

Yes the bigger ones they are calling "Jumbo Shrimp". :) I just love that. Saw it advertised on a billboard. Go to the Mini website and you'll see what the bigger ones look like. That might be more up your alley for your two boys.

Aren't they cute? My dd wants one with the fat stripes down the hood. :)

We have a friend who owned one, he blew out a tire on the freeway somewhere and it took all day for a dealer to locate a new tire (I guess they're smaller than regular tires?). I've been in the backseat and it was NOT comfortable. I wouldn't go very far in the back seat. But it might be a fun car for driving around town.

They are NOT cheap cars! They are well-built and fun to drive.

My dh has a souped up Mini that is mostly used for his commute. Gas mileage is good, but not fantastic. I think he can get around 30mph. Because it is so much fun to drive, he insists on driving on the weekends too. (Probably because my car is ancient and falling apart.) My dd is 9 and has no problem sitting in the back seat.

I sat in the backseat with another adult once. It actually was reasonably comfortable, but it is tight and I felt pretty claustraphobic.