Menu

Could use more ideas on what to do at senior home w/ kids

I meet w/ the coordinator today at the senior home. I just don't know what to suggest to do.

This is new for me.

Mainly we're a bunch of boys ages 6 to 10 and -- while I love the idea of manicures -- they won't have a clue what to do! :)

Any other suggestions? I love the idea of bringing Christmas books and having the kids read to the residents?

Does that sound silly?

Any more ideas? This particular day in Dec. the residents will have already had a pizza lunch.

Maybe do a hot chocolate w/ teddy bears -- brought by the kids?

Alley

I've done nursing home visits before and we've had the kids read aloud. The residents have loved it. We've also done a story time where each child is matched with a resident to sit with them directly while I do a zany story with ALL of the voices. The favorite one was a time we went two weeks in a row and this was to a center that had mainly ambulatory people with pretty decent presence of mind but just couldn't live alone anymore. I read the first half of the book "The Best/Worst Christmas Pageant ever." The director planned a nice array of fresh fruits, vegetables, and appropriate sweet snacks for the residents and the children to eat afterward. On the second trip, the boys brought homemade Christmas cards. The caregivers helped each child accompany their buddy back to that resident's room so they could pin the cards on their corkboards. It was a very sweet visit.

Faith

Music -- residents love to hear music, especially the older familiar tunes. There's often a piano in the dining room of nursing homes or you could bring a keyboard. Can kids take turns playing tunes? During this season they'll perhaps be inundated with scouts and other groups singing Christmas carols, so playing piano or an instrument would be nice. Sing popular songs too -- Oh Susanna, Frere Jacques, whatever.

Board games are good. Keep it simple and shorter games -- connect 4, scrabble, sorry, trouble, chess, checkers, yahtzee. Nothing too complicated. Card games can be tricky. Kids can help with rules, moving pieces, etc. (Remind them not to be too competitive for things like misspelling in scrabble or wrong moves.)

Simple crafts like beading little bracelets (obviously don't use teeny beads) on elastic. Or drawing on craft paper -- seasonal art to brighten up their rooms or halls.

The residents, even those that can't really interact, like having kids around. They like seeing them do things, hearing their voices. They are the most uncritical audience your little musicians, singers, actors will ever have.

If possible, it would be great to make this a periodic event, not just a holiday visit.

Music -- residents love to hear music, especially the older familiar tunes. There's often a piano in the dining room of nursing homes or you could bring a keyboard. Can kids take turns playing tunes? During this season they'll perhaps be inundated with scouts and other groups singing Christmas carols, so playing piano or an instrument would be nice. Sing popular songs too -- Oh Susanna, Frere Jacques, whatever.

We used to carol nursing homes, and even the bed bound would sing along.

What does the director think. S/he will know what the current residents really like. And, if there are any really debilitated, but no family/visitors, maybe a special bedside visit for this person.

One year we did some activities at a nursing home. A big hit was a Christmas card making table. We had cardstock, Christmas stamps, and other supplies there and the kids helped the residents make cards. A lot of them would not be able to go out shopping to buy cards and they liked being able to make them to give to their loved ones.

We had a group of kids who went to a retirement/nursing home yearly. They would bring handmade cards to distribute, then put on a show for the residents. It was usually a child playing a violin or piano, some singing and dancing, acting out a fairy tale, lip syncing, reciting a poem, etc. The residents loved it and the kids didn't feel they had to be perfect performers because it wasn't a talent contest. Then there was singing Christmas carols and chatting with the residents. It was fun, and the kids and residents always had a good time.

Our homeschool group goes once a year to do a program. The kids recite poetry, bring collections or artwork for show and tell, play a musical instrument, do a skit, scarf juggle to music, we brought caterpillars and chrysalids one year to show, two of my kids did a "draw off" with each other where we had some spunky classical music that they each drew a picture during. They acted a little bit while drawing. Was cute. They've played kids' church bells, sang, and so on. I think the residents just love having kids around, period.

I think singing carols is a great idea and so isplaying games like chess.

Once when we were visiting at a nursing home my dd had a battery operated walking doll with her. Some of the women loved it and would put their arms out to it and wanted to have it handed to them so they could hold it.

My son brought a remote control car. This worked out OK because we were in a cafeteria where there was a lot of open space. Some of the men just loved seeing the remote control car move around the cafeteria.

In the next 3 weeks, I'll be doing 3 different nursing home visits and each visit has different activities going on.

One visit will be doing skits. The girls will be acting out "The Mitten" and spelling out a word that is related to winter. The girls have also put together some decorations for the home -- icicles and snowmen. The snowmen were so easy to make: trace circles of various sizes onto paper and then glue random objects to the snowmen for faces, clothing, etc. Our Girl Scout troop came up with some really cute and creative looking snowpeople.

The next visit is my daughters' choir concert. This is a bit more involved because the children have prepared several songs and they sing in front of an audience of residents. After singing, the children will hand out crafts made beforehand.

The last visit will be caroling. I've done this before with other groups and it's a lot of fun, especially when the residents join in. Children with other talents can join in by playing short songs on their instruments.

My next nursing home visits will be doing some sort of easy craft with the residents. No matter what we do, though, I think the residents just enjoy the company.