Menu

How hard would it be to change my name (to take my DH's) at this point?

How long would it take to get it done, do you think? And would I have to have my DH's signatures or anything? Or just my marriage license?

I kept my maiden name when we married knowing that maybe, at some point later on, I might change it. I'm toying with the idea of doing it as a Christmas surprise, but I really don't know what it entails and whether that kind of time frame would even work. Maybe for Valentine's Day instead? Or is it easier than I'm thinking?

TIA!

Take your marriage license down to the DMV and Social Security. Their websites should have more info on any other supporting documents. It's been a while but I remember both as being pretty much instant.

Changing a passport would be a longer process just because that is what passports are like. There should be a special form for name change due to marriage. You will probably have to mail in the license.

I didn't need DH's signature for any of those. A copy of the license was all I needed. But-it has been a while.

Maybe it varies by state but when I wanted to take back my maiden name (afater divorce) I had to petition the court and pay $300 (twenty years ago). Maybe the 'taking of dh's name' is simpler since institutions recognize automatically the name change after marriage.

Neat surprise for dh!

Mary

I didn't change my name until almost a year after dh and I were married. It was pretty easy but it probably varies based on what state you are in. I had to take my marriage certificate to DMV to get a new license and send a form in to Social Security. The rest of it was just usage - changing checking accounts and credit cards - some asked for proof, some didn't. To change a passport is also a form that can be mailed in.

Thanks to everyone who responded so far. Dorothy, I'm in NJ too :D

I looked on our DMV site and the Social Security site. It looks pretty straightforward, but they all say that something to the effect of notifying them within a certain amount of time of your name change. I can't figure out if that basically means my decision to change my name (which happened this week), or the event (my wedding, which happened 10 years ago :001_huh:), or some other initiating event (name change at city hall or something?). I guess I have a lot of phone calls to make tomorrow! I'm still not totally sure about my decision--it's very strange to think of introducing myself to someone as "Melissa Newlastname"! But I think it will make DH pretty happy :D

We'd been married about 5 years when I changed my last name to DH's. At the time we married I thought I'd be in the field where I was known by my maiden name, but then ended up switching entirely and using his last name socially, so it just made sense. At the time it wasn't too hard, just needed my marriage license to start the ball rolling with the DMV and Social Security.

DH was pretty tickled by it!

Thanks to everyone who responded so far. Dorothy, I'm in NJ too :D

I looked on our DMV site and the Social Security site. It looks pretty straightforward, but they all say that something to the effect of notifying them within a certain amount of time of your name change. I can't figure out if that basically means my decision to change my name (which happened this week), or the event (my wedding, which happened 10 years ago :001_huh:), or some other initiating event (name change at city hall or something?). I guess I have a lot of phone calls to make tomorrow! I'm still not totally sure about my decision--it's very strange to think of introducing myself to someone as "Melissa Newlastname"! But I think it will make DH pretty happy :D

It's because in NJ you can change your name just by changing what you are called. http://www.robbinsville-twp.org/Name%20Change%20Info.pdf has more information. So, once you start using a new name, you only have a certain amount of time to make it "official" on your drivers license, etc. In practical terms, you really have to make it official on your paperwork before you can use it since a bank, credit card company, etc. are going to go by what's on your license.