Menu

At what point do you introduce spelling?

RainbowSprinkles

I think the child learns phonics in order to be able to read, and then learns spelling in order to be able to write. My inclination would be to introduce a spelling program as your child begins to attempt writing, to support their efforts. Depending on your child, this may mean either doing a spelling program at the same time as the phonics, or introducing the spelling as the child comes to the end of the phonics, or doing the programs consecutively.

HTH!

My son has been at a private school the last year and a half (K/1st), but they introduced spelling in 1st grade, alongside the phonics program. For example, they would study the short sound of 'u', and the spelling words that week would be 'us', 'bus', 'cut', 'but', 'rug', 'hug', and then she'd throw in a few "sight words" (some of which could be easily spelled phonetically, such as 'bring', so I don't recommend doing that). The spelling test for the week is about 8-10 words usually.

That said... I think if my child were only reading CVC words, I'd hold off on spelling for a bit. I agree that when they're starting to write more is when it gets more important.

With my next kids, who will be homeschooled from the beginning, I'll probably start gentle spelling in first grade unless they aren't reading well yet (DS1 was an early reader, and DS2 probably will be also, as he can already blend -just doesn't know all the letter sounds by heart yet). By starting in first grade, my kids will probably have been reading about 2 years before starting spelling.

Of course, you could always use a Spalding type method that teaches spelling and reading at the same time. Lots of choices. :lol:

We started in 1st grade with spelling and we used BJU Spelling and the HOP Spelling workbook. We like BJU Spelling for some reason. I think the word families make sense to them. I'm going to try All About Spelling next fall with our then 1st grader (nothing against BJU, just wanted to try something different).

I'm somewhat new to spelling, so this is a FWIW:

My older dd started getting frustrated with her spelling at the end of last year (1st grade.) I had decided to finish her phonics first. We started R&S spelling at the beginning of 2nd and I strongly disliked it. It was recommended as a quick/easy spelling program, but it just didn't work for my dd. It didn't teach rules and she would miss the same words at the end of the week that she had missed at the beginning. She is VERY rules oriented with her phonics, so I switched to AAS.

I LOVE it. I bought 2 kits so I could also start my kindy on it. She did fine and enjoyed it, but it is VERY time intensive. Since she's still doing phonics (doing well with consonant blends, will start long vowels in about a month) I dropped the spelling. She is doing ETC, which covers some spelling to go along with her phonics, in the form of focusing on what sound each part of the word is saying.

Considering both of MY kids, I would say 1st grade, maybe half-way through 1st grade is ideal. I won't wait until younger is completely finished on phonics, but I will wait until we're past the SO time-intensive part of it.

Older dd is doing great with having waited on spelling, but I think we could have avoided some of her frustrations with not being able to spell by starting about 6 months earlier.

My ds6 is now reading CVC words and I'm wondering if I should be adding in a spelling program? Or should I wait until he is reading fluently?? If I should add one, which one would you recommend?

Thank you!

You should introduce it sometime between when I first did, and when I found out I should have done it earlier . :)

With my oldest, I tried first in kindergarten when she was first reading which was too early; she should have finished phonics first. I am introducing it now in fourth grade again because she has really taken off in writing, but is a terrible speller.

My plan for my youngest is to do ETC all the way through then do spelling with Spelling Workout which are both easy to implement. ETC will give her a firm foundation in phonics and rules, then SW will just teach harder words and word roots.

My oldest is a "natural" speller. I would test her periodically with the Schonell Spelling Test and she'd always score way above grade level even without formal spelling instruction. This year (3rd) she asked to do a formal spelling program. I was originally going to try Megawords but then a lady in my support group generously gave me her old copy of Spelling Power. That's been a great "fit" for her. She placed into level G but I backed up and did selected lists from E & F. At the rate she's going through the program, I'm guessing she'll finish the book some time next year (we HS year-round) and then I'll drop spelling as a subject.

My 2nd I think will benefit from a more explicit teaching of the spelling rules so he's doing All About Spelling. I started that program a few weeks ago when he finished Hooked on Phonics.

From personal experience, after completing phonics and reading well. Someone told me when they start reading and IMO that was such bad advice. We ended up going back to phonics then starting spelling. I find no purpose in spelling if they aren't reasonably good readers yet. Step by step.

There are a couple of schools of thought. The first is that you teach phonics until they are reading well and then replace phonics with spelling. The other is that you teach spelling and reading concurrently (Spalding method). Either way, I would avoid letting a child read by memorizing words. If they are starting to recognize words by sight, I would at least start teaching phonics. But my preference is that they learn to spell at the same time as they are learning to read.

We are doing OPGTR and AAS. DD was doing fine in OPGTR but she wasn't EXCITED about reading. I introduced AAS and suddenly I hear her reading more and more, i.e. the Dr. Bonner's in the shower, Ga- ah- d, etc.

I think each child might be different. I read that once a child is half way through OPGTR is a good time to intro a spelling program. My own DD was not half way through OPGTR but I liked the letter tiles from AAS. I knew that she enjoys those sorts of manipulatives in our learning sessions. I think she just happens to be a hands on learner and the tiles, tokens and cards are more of a fit for supporting her phonics lessons.

Mine start after they have finished their reading instruction (100 EZ lessons) and they have started writing on their own. With my three this happened mid kindergarten year.

We use Spelling Workout - so it's a very gentle, fun approach for them at that age. (However, my third child, in the midst of SWO A - asked, "When do I get to spell harder words?")