Menu

Anyone have a Nikon Coolpix camera?

What do you like or hate about it?

I was thinking of getting the S4000 (the one with the touch screen) or the S3000. I need something small and light to carry around all the time -- I've been missing too many pix because the (bigger) camera is at home!

Also -- how did you figure out what memory card to buy? This is confusing!!

I have the S3000. It's from Costco so it came with a 2GB memory card, case, and battery.

For a small camera, it takes pretty good pictures. IMO the photo quality is not the same as with a DSLR, but it could be that I just don't have some setting adjusted correctly. It is way easier to take hiking than a DSLR, that's for sure.

Also -- how did you figure out what memory card to buy? This is confusing!!

Both cameras take either an SD memory card or an SDHC memory card. They are Not compatible with Multi Media Cards (MMC).

Memory cards come in classes (up to 10, I think) and I think class 6 is the best lowest number for that camera. I think you have to get a card reader, too. I'm just figuring this out myself, so I'm not absolutely sure about this part. Amazon carries these, but I'm not sure they have the best price. The memory cards also come in different gigabyte sizes.

Here's one, and even though a card reader appears to be in the picture, I don't see it in the description. One of the reviewers said, "For anyone with a fast 10-megapixel camera that accepts high-capacity SDHC cards (check with your manufacturer!), this choice is a no-brainer! Nikon USA reassuringly has this specific card on their "approved" list for the D80 and other recent DSLR models."

Since the Coolpix is a 12-megapixel camera, maybe this one would be good for it. I don't know if the megapixels have anything to do with whether it is "fast" or not, though.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-Class-Memory-SDSDRX3-4096-A21/dp/B000OFWJO6/ref=sr_1_29?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1290751694&sr=1-29

Both cameras use an EN-EL10 battery, if you want to get an extra one. Amazon carries the batteries.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-EN-EL10-Lithium-ion-Battery-Coolpix/dp/B000OW3524/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290751547&sr=8-1

You can go to the nikon site, search the camera, click on the camera, and get the specs -- that's where I got the info about the battery and the memory card.

http://shop.nikonusa.com/store/nikonusa/en_US/home

Mind you, I've only bought the camera. I haven't totally figured out the memory card/reader question yet.

ETA: Here it is on Nikon's site -- best memory cards for the Coolpix S3000. You need class 6 or faster for movies, and Nikon recommends brands to use.

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16779/~/approved-sd-cards---coolpix-s3000

And for the S4000:

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16778/kw/memory%20cards%20coolpix%20s4000/r_id/116678

Edited by RoughCollie

DD has one and takes great pictures with hers. It's a couple years old. I don't know what model it is.

Mine is an S6000. I just bought it this fall and have really only taken pictures at one event. I really enjoyed the pictures it took.

I bought mine in a bundle with a card from Target (on line). It came with a 2 GB card. But I bought a 8 GB separate, cause dh said to.

Rough Collie --

Thank you for all the info!!

I spent a long time yesterday online trying to figure out memory cards. (I just ordered a Kodak Playsport minicam & am still thinking about a subcompact digital camera.)

I found the list of approved cards on the Nikon website. But SanDisk, for example makes lots of different 4GB cards. And on the SanDisk website, I found that the ones they recommended for the S4000 are all Class 4 cards. To top it all off, it seems that speed class is different from speed rating (performance).

I may just buy the camera in a bundle at Costco. But for video -- yikes. With the wrong card, your video can stop recording after 4 minutes or so, even though there is plenty of room on the disk. And, since neither the camera or camera or camcorder is top of the line, I don't want to overbuy on the memory.

With the wrong card, your video can stop recording after 4 minutes or so, even though there is plenty of room on the disk.

I had no idea about this. I haven't tried recording a video with the camera. I guess I'd better "test drive" it to see how the memory card performs, before I try to record something important.

:001_wub: My little Nikon! I have taken some photos that people can not believe they come from "just" a point and shoot. With the right adjustments, the CoolPix can take some pretty awesome shots.

My sister just bought a DSLR because she wasn't happy with her point and shoot-she hasn't been able to get "that" shot with the DSLR either. Needless to say you can have the most expensive camera and still not get great shots.

I just got a Nikon Coolpix at Best Buy for my 17yo. They are on sale for $129.99 and a memory card for it was on sale for $8. They had a package deal with an additional battery pack, a memory card, and a case, but the guy at the store recommended against that. The additional battery pack isn't really necessary and the case was kind of big. I got my dd one of the little cases that can clip onto a belt or be held with a wrist strap. It will easily fit inside her purse too.

I had no idea about this. I haven't tried recording a video with the camera. I guess I'd better "test drive" it to see how the memory card performs, before I try to record something important.

I should have been clearer -- the problems were with video camcorders that had the wrong type of memory.

Coolpix S3000 is $109 at Amazon now. I bought one last week for $115.

I got the S4000. I missed the Costco deal ($129 with card and so on), but got camera only at Amazon for $109.

It is so odd that the type of card SanDisk recommends is different from the ones Nikon recommends (class 4 rather than class 6). I'll be emailing customer service on Monday.

No idea about the card reader. Right now, I just use a slot in my HP printer -- hope it works with newer cards.

My sister just bought a DSLR because she wasn't happy with her point and shoot-she hasn't been able to get "that" shot with the DSLR either. Needless to say you can have the most expensive camera and still not get great shots.

Yeah, I learned that the hard way. :glare:

I'm all confused as to which coolpix to get

Edited by Kleine Hexe