Menu

Kindle question

I've looked at several comparison charts, searched for ebook reader threads on on the WTM forums and ebook reader-specific forums, and done a lot of online research. I'm fairly set on getting a Wi-Fi Kindle 3 for my birthday...but not so certain that I can eliminate my other options without wondering if I made the right choice.

If you have a Kindle, do you regret choosing that option instead of another ebook reader? If you don't have ebooks available at your library anyway, would that make a difference in which reader you would choose?

I've looked at several comparison charts, searched for ebook reader threads on on the WTM forums and ebook reader-specific forums, and done a lot of online research. I'm fairly set on getting a Wi-Fi Kindle 3 for my birthday...but not so certain that I can eliminate my other options without wondering if I made the right choice.

If you have a Kindle, do you regret choosing that option instead of another ebook reader? If you don't have ebooks available at your library anyway, would that make a difference in which reader you would choose?

I don't think you'll regret your choice. If you've looked at different options and decided that a kindle works best for you, I think you'll be happy. There isn't one perfect ereader out there (I know, because we have four different types and we use them all daily for different things), but if you've figured out that a kindle does what you need, then it doesn't matter what the others do.

Personally, checking books out of the library is a huge thing for me, so I'd not want only a kindle if I had that option, but I'm very glad to have one because Amazon's ebook store is much better than anyone else's. No one has as many unique ebooks that aren't available elsewhere as Amazon.

I love my kindle. I absolutely love it. I got it last year for Christmas and have used it every. single. day since then. Right now I have 169 books on it and have actually read most of them. I have every type of book imaginable on it. I use it for fun, school, bible study - if there is a topic I want to know about I can find an appropriate book 99% of the time.

The B&N reader had just come out when I got mine, so it wasn't really a good choice. We looked at the Sony, but prefer the Kindle. I told dh this makes up for the year I got a toaster, plus now all he has to get me is gift certificates to buy books and he's golden!

I just got one - the cheaper one - the $139 one or whatever. Love it. I still love books for certain things - particularly ones where I need a page number - since the Kindle does not do page numbering - but tells you instead the % of the book completed (which is also a very nice thing). I'm really happy I got it.

One other plus that I just discovered (I've only had mine for a few weeks), is that I can highlight whatever I want from the book that I'm reading. Obviously. I thought that I'd have to type up everything myself into a word document. But it's so easy to transfer all your clippings and notes into a word document. Perfect. :)

There are still times that I enjoy a regular hard copy of a book. I love smelling books and feeling the paper. But the Kindle comes in so handy and has so many great advantages. I was one of those who was determined to never get one. It just didn't appeal to me one bit. I now love it.

Mine is scheduled to arrive on Friday! :D

Someone who's already a Kindle user might want to confirm or refute this, but it's my understanding that Mobipocket eBooks (which are an option at some libraries) can be read on Kindle. It's also possible to convert some ePub eBooks to Mobipocket.