Menu

Question about Reading Aloud

momchiroto2

I have been reading aloud to my boys (4.5 and 3) at breakfast and at bedtime. I was wondering though when my boys are doing certain activities like crafts etc would that be an opportunity to read aloud to them? Or if they are engrossed in an activity they really won't be listening to me reading? I hope this isn't too silly a question but I have been wondering about this.

In addition if you have any suggestions for read aloud books for this age group please let me know.

Thanks

SJ

Not silly at all, but it depends on the child.

I discovered years ago that my oldest dd listened better if her hands were busy. Beginnning around age 5, she folded towels while I read.

She loves to draw, but it was a long time before she could listen & draw at the same time. Sometimes I would have her draw pictures about what I was reading, but if I let her draw anything else, she quit listening.

Try it and see what happens. Then remember that what they can do now is different from what they'll be able to do later.

I think it definitely depends on the kid. It can also depend on the book. Mine like to act out history - it sounds strange, but whatever works and they came up with it on their own. I also find that giving them something to fiddle with can be a distraction sometimes but a help others. The success of reading aloud depends on the time of day and the energy level here as well. Anyway, I would say just try it and see.

You might be surprised by how much they pick up even when it seems they're not paying attention. My ds4 is the poster boy for this. Ds6 needs to be actively listening. He'll often snuggle next to me or walk in circles around the room while I'm reading. He gets too engrossed in what he's doing otherwise and forgets to listen.

There are so many great picture books for this age. I highly recommend Sonlight's P3/4 for the ages of your dc. It's really just a great collection of stories, most of which would be at your library. I bought it because it gets used each and every day in our house by all three boys. My older two are now reading the stories to each other and their little brother.

We do "snack/story time" as one of our read aloud sessions. I read to them while they color and play quietly too. They do pick up a lot even when doing something else.

I second Sonlight P3/4! We are almost done reading through this and will read through it again. We also read through the Peak with Books booklist. Also I let my big girl pick 20 picture books from the library that we go through. And at bedtime, I read a chapter book to my big girl (currently the Magic School Bus series).

We definitely use both methods here! I especially like to read aloud from more challenging books while they are having snack or coloring. For example, I LOVE the VOS story Bible, but the only way my dd4.5 and ds3 will be enthusiastic about it is if they are eating while I read, and then they don't want me to stop reading! We always do picture books on the couch, because they can sit still for a longish time and they love to look at the book with me, but if pictures are scarce, I find it easier to read while they are doing something.

I sometimes print out coloring sheets to go along with our reading and have them color. Sometimes, they build with legos. It helps keep them still.

Disclaimer: There are two VERY specific children who need assistance "keeping still" during Read-Alouds. This one: :biggrinjester: and this one: :willy_nilly:.

My hyperactive, kinesthetic learner (8 yr old) needs to be doing something while I read so he is allowed to build with legos, squish playdoh, sometimes draw (this is questionable because he starts getting involved in stories he creates with his drawings) - I see this as an opportunity to strengthen his fine motor skills. To make sure he is paying attention I pause frequently to ask comprehension questions.

My 12 year old needs to just snuggle (yeah I said it) and listen, he can't do two things at a time at all.

Every kid is different - maybe try out some quiet activities while you read and see how it goes. There can be a difference between free style play vs directed activities as well. He may be able to build a lego house that resembles something from the story versus allowed to make lego robots/pirates. Good luck!