Menu

History Pockets...

persephone43

We've done several over the years. I think you'll be happy with any of them. The ones marketed to 4th-6th grade have a little more text to read and there is more writing to be done. And, of course, because the books are more focused, they go into more depth about each culture. Still, I think they're very adaptable.

I like the ease of use of the History Pockets and for kids who enjoy coloring and putting together little books, they're very nice. My kids loved them. :)

I didn't like them for my son (grade 1), but I know my daughter will enjoy them when she's older. We used the ancient history pockets. My son doesn't like colouring at all, and prefers to use his imagination more than following instruction when it comes to creative stuff. My dd will love them though, as anything artsy is right up her alley.

How old is your child(ren)?

I think the history pockets are a wonderful supplement to SOTW. My son enjoyed doing the projects and they definitely inspired him to learn even more about the subject matter. I do think that the ancient civilization pockets are more for the 1st or 2nd grade age group. But the ones that are for 4th-6th grade have a bit more info, and more interesting for older elementary. My son is in 2nd now, but probably could have used the ones marketed for the older kids. The one we used was pretty basic...a lot of coloring, and not as much text.

I do believe they are useful, especially for those children who enjoy more than just the stories, worksheets, etc. I have found that they are a great springboard to more hands-on activities and crafts. My son likes to come up with his own ideas after working on a "pocket".

You can preview the books on the evan moor site, and can buy the ebook. (I wish I would have known about this before I bought mine, it is nice to be able to just print what you need, and then have it for other children. Taking apart the book I have to make copies was a pain.)

HTH!

We are doing the Ancient Civ one along with the SOTW1 lap book. We also have the AG. My ds loves all the hands on stuff, and is much more excited about history with the extras. It has also helped him to retaining the info. He seems to pay a lot more attention to the readings and with a lot less nagging on my part.;)

Danielle