Menu

Anyone with dc who love the idea of advanced learning...

Kfamily

So, my younger dd is very preoccupied with being older, more mature, learning above her age and level. I think this is just normal, everyone-else-is older-than-me and we-love learning-in-our-house type behavior, right? :001_smile:She teaches her imaginary children and gives them lessons in science and algebra. She taught her imaginary dd about the "philosophy of water"!:D She is lovely and delightful. Does anyone else have dc who do this? These are the moments that have wondering if I should do more with her-hence the periodic, I'm-stressing-over-this-type questions. Thank you for putting up with them. You ladies really are a great comfort to me and provide me with guidance, ideas etc. I cannot get anywhere else. I can't really turn to family, since I don't want to appear as if I am bragging.

Does anyone have dc who are preoccupied with learning, especially at levels above them? In reality, I don't really think she's ready for algebra. I would love some resources that I could use to play with ideas more. We started CWP 2 from Singapore and she really likes this. She told me she loves word problems now.:001_smile:

Edited by Kfamily

Does anyone have dc who are preoccupied with learning, especially at levels above them? In reality, I don't really think she's ready for algebra.

If you're looking for fun algebra that can be introduced at an early age, look into Hands-On-Equations. It teaches early algebra concepts in a very concrete way.

Otherwise, sorry, can't be much help. My older DD would rather play, play, play. My younger DD would like to learn but she's so young that I'm trying to hold her back.

My DD always loved to learn. Unfortunately, she was still attending public school at that age, so she could not really do advanced stuff. She channeled all her energy into reading which was the one subject where they had differentiation - the kids were allowed to read library books according to their (computer tested) reading level. She spent all the elementary school years reading fiction in class.

When she got a chance to learn, she jumped at it. Her 4th grade science fair project was highschool level (some of my college students would not have done such a good job.)

No advice really - just see where she is and keep her challenged. Grade level is meaningless. Get through the arithmetic fast and have her ready for algebra in 6th grade.

Thanks everyone!

I'm making a list of some things I need to get for dd.

So far I have:

Hands-On Equations

a critical thinking workbook

probably MCT for English...I'm not sure what to buy yet.

I've already decided to add in more math games.

Any more suggestions?

My dd5 wanted to do multiplication, which I let her and she did okay with. This year, we started CSMP math, and it has been a great fit for a kid that wants to do higher level stuff but is not entirely ready for it. We have had introductions to probability, graphing, negative numbers, and fractions, all with a 1st grade curriculum. I really like it, because there is a great variety of basics mixed in with higher level math. For my dd, it is just enough to satisfy that itch to learn what the older kids are learning.

My dd is one of those kids who just loves to learn. She asks me if she can do a report every couple nights then picks a topic, researches it, and writes 2-3 pages. Given a creative writing assignment, she always fills a couple pages and on her own is writing a novel (has 4 chapters completed). She loves to do history and science no matter what topic we are discussing and will read ahead. She loves doing Hands On Equations as well as her "regular" math.

She will do her school work for the day then at night ask to do more. Her brothers go to school so she is always asking for me to give her "homework" :001_huh: (My answer that all of her work is home work doesn't appease her.)

Thanks Donna,

Yes, just what you're describing with your dd. She stacks up other books, outside of our lessons, and reads them and teaches from them. I'll be adding Hands-on Equations. I've looked at it now and I think this is going to be just right for her.

Tracymirko,

What is CSMP? This sounds good too.

Thanks!

Yes, my ds8 always wants more. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact his brothers are 7 and 9 years older than him, but also he's a smart cookie. So we started Latin in 1st grade and he's plowing through math and doing 6th grade science including writing up lab reports. I also try to keep him busy with independent work, like programming and movie making. He's latest loves are rewriting code on video games using some kind of emulating software and making movies with Xtranormal.

Tracymirko,

What is CSMP? This sounds good too.

Thanks!

Comprehensive School Mathematics Program

It is a program put out the US Gov't back in the "space race" days. They did some research as to the best way to teach and learn math and came up with CSMP. Though no longer published, someone has been thoughtful enough to put it all online for free. It took me a little time to figure out how to get started. But now that we are into it, I think I would have been better off just jumping in. Let me know if you have any questions about it.

Yes Karen, this is what I'm thinking too. I think she is hearing my interaction with her older sister and wants to keep up in her own way. I do think that a lot of this is just "her" if that makes sense. She has always been like this. She was the only 18 month old I knew that carried around chapter books (not picture books) and pretended to read them.:lol: She was reading them by 4.

Tracy, thank you for the link. I'll be looking this over today.

Uh, yeah, but only with math and video games!

I finally broke down and ordered Hands on Equations. We are starting it today. I have yet to get him his own xbox live account, but he has been begging for some time.

Thankfully, he has no desire to do my junior's history, language arts, art history, or economics. However, we do not do too much of this in front of him, because his big brother primarily studies in his own room. But he does want to watch Khan Academy videos, because his big brother is watching some of the chemistry videos. I let him watch some of the pre-alg videos and that seemed to placate him. I really think that he was just envious of the computer/ video time.

Mandy

I think this is just normal, everyone-else-is older-than-me and we-love learning-in-our-house type behavior, right? :001_smile:

Yes, I think so. :) My 5 yo was haranguing me last night about the cell phone and lap top she'll be taking to college when she's 19 (like one of her brothers). Talk about planning ahead - I didn't have the heart to tell her that the technology will likely be vastly changed or even obsolete by then! This week she's obsessed with geology, dragged a bunch of rocks home, and has ten books on the subject stacked up on her desk, along with a Webster's dictionary (which is above her head, to say the least! :lol:)

She teaches her imaginary children and gives them lessons in science and algebra. She taught her imaginary dd about the "philosophy of water"!:D

Yes, one of my younger sons does this - using the rest of us as an audience. :tongue_smilie: He even sets up a podium and gives tedious, lengthy sermons. (We do try to limit this! :lol:)

You've already gotten lots of great recommendations. My younger kids enjoy Hands-on-Equations, too, and we just started the MCT program (I'm liking it a lot, because it transforms a subject area which can be really tedious (for me - I hate it! :lol:) into one which is fairly engaging. :))

We also drag bags of books and dvd's home from the library every week - it's a painless way to keep them reading and learning.

Thanks Mandy and Heidi,

Yes, I just showed my dh Khan Academy yesterday. What an amazing resource!

Heidi, your dd sounds a lot like what I'm seeing with my dd.:001_smile: We don't have a podium, but dd likes to stand before the white board and teach. Very cute!