Menu

Okay, is or are?? Solve this argument.

So, we were talking about a bill, and my son says, "The other 72 dollars is not from me." My daughter says it should be "are not." So, when you are talking about dollars, is it not a singular item that would be is? As in, "That hundred dollars is in your drawer."

Solve our discussion.

That hundred dollar BILL is in your drawer. (if it is one bill)

The hundred DOLLARS are in your drawer. (dollars is plural)

You shouldn't say, "That hundred dollars is in your drawer.", if it is only a bill.

The other $72 are not from me. (dollars is plural and understood to be present)

Because 72 what? 72 dollarS. 72 what? 72 duckS. NOT 72 dollar. Not 72 duck.

Hth...

:)

Oh, and anyone out there correct me, please, if I'm wrong. I'm sure I messed up the punctuation surrounding my quotation marks...lol. :)

Edited by Serendipity
to add the word 'up'

I'm not sure, because both kinda sound right to my ear.

I lean toward "is" because the $72 is taken as one quantity, and because of the word other.

In the following sentence, the $72 is taken as a single quantity.

"$72 is the price of the coat."

Maybe it's the same for the OP's sentence?

That hundred dollar BILL is in your drawer. (if it is one bill)

The hundred DOLLARS are in your drawer. (dollars is plural)

You shouldn't say, "That hundred dollars is in your drawer.", if it is only a bill.

The other $72 are not from me. (dollars is plural and understood to be present)

Because 72 what? 72 dollarS. 72 what? 72 duckS. NOT 72 dollar. Not 72 duck.

Hth...

Oh, and anyone out there correct me, please, if I'm wrong. I'm sure I messed up the punctuation surrounding my quotation marks...lol. :)

:iagree:

Ooh. I googled subject-verb agreement and yes, the word 'other' does seem to make the $72 need the verb: is.

One example I came across was: That coat is $50.

According to that website, we wouldn't say: That coat are $50 because $50 is a single unit of money.

BUT...Doesn't the verb depend on the subject of the sentence which is actually COAT?

So would it be correct to say, "That other $72 is not from me." ???

Well, since the point is subject-verb agreement...What is the subject of the sentence? Is it other? Other is an adjective.

Is the subject $72? Yes. So what does that mean in regard to the verb? I am googling...lol!

So, basically...We need Ellie to help us out here.

;)

Ooh. I googled subject-verb agreement and yes, the word 'other' does seem to make the $72 need the verb: is.

One example I came across was: That coat is $50.

According to that website, we wouldn't say: That coat are $50 because $50 is a single unit of money.

BUT...Doesn't the verb depend on the subject of the sentence which is actually COAT?

So would it be correct to say, "That other $72 is not from me." ???

Well, since the point is subject-verb agreement...What is the subject of the sentence? Is it other? Other is an adjective.

Is the subject $72? Yes. So what does that mean in regard to the verb? I am googling...lol!

So, basically...We need Ellie to help us out here.

;)

See my second post above.

AHA! So, plural forms of measurement such as dollars do take a singular verb. However, there ARE exceptions, such as when one is counting said dollars individually.

WordGirl, I'm so glad you edited your source post to add another sentence and a smiley. :) 'Cause I'm like, really? What's there to get all uptight about? We're all having a casual conversation and trying to figure things out and WHAMMO.