Menu

From CLE 200 to Saxon 5/4?

blessedmom3

If a child has mastered his addition/subtraction facts and is well on his way to mastering his multiplication/division facts, then he can start 54. He should at least understand the concept and be pretty familiar with the multiplication table, but if he already has the multiplication/division facts memorized 54 will go much more smoothly.

HTH-

Mandy

Thanks, I didn't realize they have a placement test. He has mastered add&sub and the lower number multiplication&division , he will probably learn most of it until the end of the year, but I am still not sure if he is mentally ready for 5/4.

There is quite a jump from 3 to 5/4. As stated before, if the child knows all the math facts, they'll be ready mathematically.

My older 2 did surprisingly well with the jump at age 8 (3rd grade). My middle son just wasn't ready this year. He's working through Horizons 4 book 1 workbook and doing well. I plan to try 5/4 again after Christmas break, though I will most likely do all the copying of problems for him for a few months.

Thanks, I didn't realize they have a placement test. He has mastered add&sub and the lower number multiplication&division , he will probably learn most of it until the end of the year, but I am still not sure if he is mentally ready for 5/4.

I don't like the Saxon placement test, because a child can be missing an entire skill and still test into a level.

Also, FWIW I strongly prefer 54-87 to the lower levels of Saxon. The lower levels make me cross-eyed and are very different from 54-87. If he is ready for the material, go with 54. Just get a used copy (Do not get the 1st ed hardback. The 2nd ed hardback should be fine and can usually be found for next to nothing at used curriculum sales.) and let him write in the book, so that he doesn't have to deal with learning the skill of copying the material, especially after CLE and its workbook format, while he is learning his math. Then, stretch it out over more than a year. OTOH- VP uses 54 in 3rd grade as their standard text.

If you want to use Saxon long term, another reason to start with 54 is that the difference between 54 and 3 is so pronounced that it is like changing curriculum. So, it would be like using three different products in 3 years.

JMHO-

Mandy

My oldest dd took the Saxon placement test (not because I was going to switch her, but because I like to know these things) last spring when she finished Abeka 3. She tested into 65 but only missed going into 76 by a couple of problems -- mostly stupid mistakes but a couple of ideas she'd never seen before.

She tested into 54 when she was done with Abeka 2 with a couple of points leeway. She tested into Saxon 3 when she was done with Abeka 1. She's mathy. Her non-mathy sister did not repeat this, however. (She tested into Saxon 2 after completing Abeka 1.) FWIW, she also tested into Teaching Textbooks 6 after Abeka 3.

Now that I've seen Saxon's Advanced Mathematics in person (helping an older student review for the ACT), I wouldn't ever use Saxon materials because I know they aren't for us. I've always been tempted, but not anymore. I know some people swear by them, though. :-)

I don't like the Saxon placement test, because a child can be missing an entire skill and still test into a level.

Also, FWIW I strongly prefer 54-87 to the lower levels of Saxon. The lower levels make me cross-eyed and are very different from 54-87. If he is ready for the material, go with 54. Just get a used copy (Do not get the 1st ed hardback. The 2nd ed hardback should be fine and can usually be found for next to nothing at used curriculum sales.) and let him write in the book, so that he doesn't have to deal with learning the skill of copying the material, especially after CLE and its workbook format, while he is learning his math. Then, stretch it out over more than a year. OTOH- VP uses 54 in 3rd grade as their standard text.

If you want to use Saxon long term, another reason to start with 54 is that the difference between 54 and 3 is so pronounced that it is like changing curriculum. So, it would be like using three different products in 3 years.

JMHO-

Mandy

Thank you so much, this is very helpful to know . We don't have any curriculum sales around here and I don't know anyone who homeschools so I can't even preview it but I will try to find used before investing in the whole package .Saxon it's not cheap. But I am considering it from 5/4 &up.

Just wondering why you want to switch to Saxon now. We have used CLE all the way to 800 and are very happy with it. We like it better than Saxon but might switch next year because CLE isn't Sunrise after 8th grade yet.

Are you having problems with CLE or have you just heard good things about Saxon?

CLE is a little advanced, so if you are switching programs, you are better off taking the placement test first. Best wishes.

Just wondering why you want to switch to Saxon now. We have used CLE all the way to 800 and are very happy with it. We like it better than Saxon but might switch next year because CLE isn't Sunrise after 8th grade yet.

Are you having problems with CLE or have you just heard good things about Saxon?

CLE is a little advanced, so if you are switching programs, you are better off taking the placement test first. Best wishes.

CLE has given my son such a great understanding and love for math !

However I heard how great Saxon is . Also I wish CLE had more mental math&critical thinking so I don't have to supplement w/Singapore. I heard that Saxon prepares the kids for college and most do so well in standardized tests ( which we have to take starting in 3rd). From the samples I see in Saxon 2, 3 and 4/5 it looks like it is better in mental math . At the same time I am so reluctant to change, CLE is going so good ...