Menu

I need a Christmas gift, book suggestion for dd (7)

dd likes fantasy, fairies, princesses, etc...

She enjoys read-aloud's like The Little Princess, James and the giant Peach, Secret Garden, Dancing Shoes, and she is currently LOVING The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe,......etc....

I want to get her a lovely, hardback, quality book that she will be able to read on her own in the, somewhat, near future. An important aspect is that it needs to have frequent, lovely, whimsical? pictures/illustrations. I think having frequent pictures is her safe zone, if that makes sense.

Her fun reading books include Geronimo Stilton and the ENTIRE series of Rainbow Fairies:D. Geronimo Stilton is listed as 3rd grade, the fairy books are listed as 2nd. She is reading The Courage of Sarah Noble aloud to me, which is listed as 4th. But, I would say that's her upper comfortable level.

My sister suggested Charlottes Web, which is my fallback book. I already own it in paperback and we've read it aloud. But, she did really like it.

Edited by snickelfritz

This version of Pippi Longstocking

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon (beautiful; I may be getting this one for my niece this Christmas -- I got her the Pippi Longstocking one about a year ago)

The Book of Fairies (may be too advanced)

The Book of Fairy Poetry

And, these don't really have much text at all (they're mostly photos), but they're great for inspiring fairy lovers to create all sorts of wonderful fairy-scapes outside using found materials....

http://www.amazon.com/Fairy-Houses-Everywhere/dp/097081044X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1289487060&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Fairy-Houses-Beyond/dp/0970810466/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

http://www.amazon.com/Fairy-Houses-Maine-Maureen-Heffernan/dp/089272787X/ref=pd_sim_b_3#_

Also, if your dd loves fairies, you may want to check out this fairy design kit. It's very fun (dd & niece both have this one).

ETA: This is a lovely, illustrated version of The Hobbit (paperback, but oversize & nice pictures); don't know if she's ready for that reading level or not, but thought I'd mention it.

Edited by Stacia

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon

The Book of Fairies

The Book of Fairy Poetry

These are gorgeous. Thanks!

ETA: Kathleen and Michael Hague (author/illustrator of the two fairy books) do some beautiful work. I think I could find something for younger dd too.

Edited by snickelfritz

http://www.amazon.com/Fairyopolis-Fairies-Cicely-Mary-Barker/dp/0723257248/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1289519609&sr=1-1

I saw this at a book store yesterday. There's not a ton of text so it's more of a fun book. My dd looooved it so dh is going back today to get it for her. What little there is to read is kind of hard since it's in cursive but it's beautiful.

Ok, this is not "great" literature, but my daughter and her best friend LOVED the Fairy Realm books (can be found at bookcloseouts) around that age. There are 10 I think, and they're better than the Rainbow fairy books. For over a year after starting to read these, they played make believe games about the fairy realm, drew pictures illustrating the books, tried to figure out how to get there, etc.....

There is one picture per chapter, 10 chapters per book I think.

I am starting these as read-a-loud books with my 5 year old now (that's how we started them with my olderst, who then moved on to read them herself).

My daughter read the Unicorn Chronicles when she was 9 years old. She doesn't particularly like to read long novels (still prefers those blasted Rainbow Magic Fairy books!) But she loved the Unicorn Chronicles by Bruce Coville!

Unfortunately - no illustratons.

But my daughter seems much like your daughter in her tastes of stories. She'd rather read those short paperback series below her reading level - or picture book fairy tales. And yet she was captivated by the Unicorn books. (Wish I could find something similar!)

Oh - she also enjoyed an abridged version of Little Women - I had to help her through it as it was more an abridgement rather than an adaptation.

Another series was All-of-Kind Family.

(the last two are not fantasy - but dd enjoyed them anyway, even though she doesn't usually choose to rread this genre!)