Menu

Spelling Workout vs Rod & Staff

missesd

When I first posted on here, numerous people said that SW was not real well liked. I looked at R&S online and liked it, it's not very expensive and we are using R&S Grammar from 5th grade on. My concern is that when my 1st and 2nd grader get to that point to use it, I will want to add in Vocabulary from the Classical Roots. TWTM says to use SW then transition into VftCR. I worry if I use R&S that mauybe it will put them behind when it comes time to transition over.

Any input??

Well, probably not the answer you are looking for, but neither.

Since I found the WTM and started hs I have pretty much stuck with all the same curriculum from the beginning, except for spelling. SWO didn't work for my daughter. The proof reading sections were brutal for her. They showed you incorrectly written words and sentences. She NEEDS to see it written correctly NOT incorrectly. I love Rod and Staff grammar and even considered their math, but didn't care for their spelling. The spaces and lines were too close together at the level we purchased (4th I think). I think it may have been updated since then, though. We went with Spelling Power and couldn't be happier. It's a one time purchase and you can use it for all of your spelling age dc.

We started with SWO and switched to R&S when my oldest was just finishing 2nd grade. Much prefer R&S. I'm using it a year ahead with my youngest, so she's doing the 3rd grade book in 2nd grade. My older dd eventually was working a year ahead too. The words may be a little on the easy side, but the activities are not. Anyway, my older dd finished the 5th grade book last year and we have transitioned on to vocabulary (we are using MCT's Caesar's English). That has all gone very smoothly. Dd is a natural speller; I think it is working out fine to have her in vocabulary studies now instead of spelling.

HTH.

We like SWO! :001_smile: We use it with MCP Phonics/Word Study. For my dc, I find that the "proof-reading" section is really useful, as it makes them think about what they have learned, sometimes in terms of exceptions, or in the context of their reading, not just the spelling rules. Often, if you just think spelling rules, then the "wrong" spellings could look right.. kwim?

Other than that, IMO it's a steady program that builds and cycles, much like Saxon Math I guess.

We love SWO! We have used it since we started homeschooling and now my oldest dd is on Level F. We also work in SpellingCity.com with each lesson, except the review lessons. I also have my oldest write out the definitions to the words (including the bonus words). Hope that helps.

Marsha

I've tried SWO with both girls and wasn't impressed either time. It felt like busy work. I tried EVERYTHING with my oldest and finally settled on Building Spelling Skills from CLP. LOVE BSS!!! Very challenging, great vocabulary skills. My youngest is using Rod and Staff and I'll probably transition her into BSS in 4th or 5th grade.

SWO is cheap enough that you could buy a used workbook and try a couple of lessons. If you like it and it's challenging enough for your kiddos, great! If not, stick with Rod and Staff. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

Blessings!

Dorinda