Menu

S/O: Can you tell me how you make cream of chicken soup?

Ok, a little embarassing, but I've never really thought before about making cream of chicken soup from scratch.

Don't ask. I only recently discovered that one can *make crackers. :tongue_smilie:

(And then I go, 'well duh, of COURSE you can make these things! If you can *buy them, you can *make them, right?')

So, I have a few recipes that use cream of chicken soup. I usually just use canned; I'd love to try making my own.

I know what a roux is, and how to make it. I can make a white sauce, and that's what I use to start my homemade mac and cheese.

I looked around on allrecipes.com, and there's no highly rated cream of chicken soup. Anyone have a favorite, or a tried and true one?

I borrowed the More with Less cookbook from the library and got the basics for it (they have recipes for all the cream of soups (mushroom, chicken, celery etc).

Now I just wing it.

But for cream of chicken, I melt butter, add the flour, I add milk (because I like the creaminess) and add some chicken boullion cubes for flavor (to taste) and then about 1/2 tsp -1 tsp ground sage (this is what really makes it stand out in my opinion).

Sorry I don't have measurements because I just dump and pour and taste as I go along and it varies depending on whether I need a lot of sauce or a smaller amount.

From my Pillsbury Family Cookbook:

Basic Cream Soup

• 1/4 cup margarine or butter
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 stalk celery, chopped
  • 3 Tablespoons flour
  • 3 cups milk
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper

In medium saucepan, cook onion and celery in margarine until tneder. Stir in flour. Add milk, heat mixture until it thickens and boils stirring constantly. Season with salt and pepper. (Any desired cooked vegetables or meat may be added with milk.)

That should get you started. You can experiment with partially substituting some of the milk with other liquid (stock, broth, wine, cream, etc). The recipe will also make a fairly good potato soup or corn chowder.

Edited by Parrothead

Mine is:

15-16oz chicken broth (I save this and freeze after I boil chickens)

1 1/2 C milk

3/4 C flour

1 t lawry's

pinch, salt

pinch, pepper

Mix the broth, 1/2 C milk, and seasonings. Bring to a boil. While waiting mix the 1 C milk with 3/4 C flour. Add to the boiling mix, turn off the heat, and stir until thick.

This equals 2 cans of cream of chicken.