Menu

WWE for a 5th grader?

ktgrok

My son apparantly has very little ability to write ABOUT things. This is our first year homeschooling and his writing ability is pathetic. They spent most of their writing time in school doing things like poems based on specific letters of the alphabet, fill in the blank poems, etc. He did write one paper last year but I helped him research and organize it. So we need to start at the beginning. Should we start with WWE? I've already tried and given up on Igniting your Writing, as he doesn't have the skills for it yet. Writing Aids might have worked, but I chucked TOG in favor of SOTW. Soo....what say the hive?

My son apparantly has very little ability to write ABOUT things. This is our first year homeschooling and his writing ability is pathetic. They spent most of their writing time in school doing things like poems based on specific letters of the alphabet, fill in the blank poems, etc. He did write one paper last year but I helped him research and organize it. So we need to start at the beginning. Should we start with WWE? I've already tried and given up on Igniting your Writing, as he doesn't have the skills for it yet. Writing Aids might have worked, but I chucked TOG in favor of SOTW. Soo....what say the hive?

Katie,

The hardback has about 7 weeks of each of the WWE levels, which is often just the right amount to remediate older students. Then you could move on the Writing Tales, which is based on the same philosophy.

Heather

I did. I have Igniting your writing, which I plan to use later, but when he stumbled there we went to WWE. I bought the hardback book and we started in level 2. That was last year. I bought the workbook for level 3 because I didn't want to pull my own samples. We're 1/2 way through it and I've seen improvement. The SWB lectures helped me realize that he really couldn't hold a thought and then transfer it to paper. Writing is one foundational skill that I want to cement clearly with the basics. So yes, WWE with a 5th grader is a great option.

I am using WWE with a 5th grader! She is breezing through WWE2 right now. I'm using it in conjunction with PR level 1, but when we get to PR 2 and higher I don't think we'll need WWE anymore.

I am seeing a great increase in her ability to summarize, narrate and take dictation. If Phonics Road levels 2 and on didn't already have so many of the same skills included, I would definitely continue with WWE.

Edited by LoveBaby

If it were me I would use WWE and Writing Tales. Love them both! WWE does not take long each day...10-15 min...and Writing Tales is a great way to get a child writing. We used Writing Tales 2 in 5th grade (you do not need to start with Writing Tales 1) and my ds LOVED IT. And I, personally, would back up to WWE 2 and go double time before I would begin in WWE 3 or 4. WWE 1, on the other hand, would be far to easy.

My two cents. :D

My 5th and 6th graders are currently working through wwe 3. They will also be starting up with meaningful composition shortly. I tried it with them before but they both asked if they could focus on wwe for now so I am working with that. They both have poor writing skills mainly due to LDs they simply have not been able to do compositions very well. So I opted to remediate with wwe 3 (and we will also do 4)