Menu

Homeschooling an ill student

We homeschooled until last fall when our youngest went to the local high school. We had planned that he would finish his schooling there. For the past two months he has been very sick including three emergency room visits and four days hospitalization. The conclusion so far is he has had a virus that has wreaked havoc in his body. Some of the ongoing symptoms are extreme fatigue (sleeping 12-14 hours per night), difficulty processing information, short-term memory difficulties and headaches. There is no prognosis of when the symptoms will lift, could be weeks or months.

The local school recommended that we withdraw him so his transcript wouldn't be adversely affected. Until he is physically well enough to return to school, we are homeschooling again.

Because of the ongoing physical symptoms, I need to devise a program that will cover needed material without a lot of physical output. He has about 1.5 hours a day that he has some brain power. I don't expect that we can do everything in that hour and a half, but wonder how to adjust the method to meet his physical/mental abilities. This student is not an AP-type of student. He works hard, but is definately an average student. These are the subjects that we need to cover for now: English (lit & comp), US History, Biology, and Algebra.

I sold most of our homeschool materials because we thought we were done. I do have ABeka's Biology book, disecting materials, and the Elegant Essay. I'd prefer not to spend a lot of money as the goal is still to have him return to high school when he is well enough. We are suspicioning that he will be home for at least the winter trimester.

Any input, ideas, and creativity would be most welcome.

Thank you,

Cindy

I hope your son starts to feel better soon! :grouphug:

My recommendation would be to use his best 1.5 hour for math (1 hour) and comp (30 min). For composition you could have him choose a topic and work a bit on a paper every day till he finishes an essay, or you could have him do journal writing. Journal writing isn't exactly formal writing, but it is a great tool and an effective form of daily practice. Also journal writing might help him deal with the pent up anxieties that come from being bed ridden. Journal writing can also offer up some moments of surprisingly inspired writing due to the freedom & lack of pressure involved.

For the rest I would do books on CD or movies. History, literature, languages and even science . He can watch and listen and it will take very little physical effort on his part, even if he sleeps through parts he will still be learning.

I hope everything works out for the best!

So sorry you and your son are faced with this dilemma!

Have you considered this may be the perfect time for him to get a lot of quality reading done? Either through reading independently or audio books or even someone reading to him.

You could look for classic reading lists in history, literature, science and history and not worry about an actual curriculum. He could also "do" a World Music or History of Music short course by simply listening.

You could get all these sorts of things free through your library or the internet.

He may not be up to actually writing papers or "studying" but it doesn't mean that he can't be exposing himself to great thoughts and ideas.

I have a chronically ill son- though he is much, much younger. Even when he is stuck in bed he doesn't have to be vegetating:)

If you did that maybe the short time his brain is really on can be used to stay caught up in Math, or whatever course work you find most important.

I hope he confounds everyone and heals quickly.

I think you got great advice about using the good 1 1/2 hours for math and composition. You can get math books from the library, even if you have to use interlibrary loan. This would work if it's not going to be long-term. Old editions of Lial's are also very cheap.

I would also think about the Teaching Company videos. They have these in our library system so we've been able to use them for free. If he likes to read you could have him read popular biographies of notable figures in US history. Reading literature shouldn't be too strenuous and you could consider books on CDs from the library.

As another thought, could you alternate history and science every other day or every other week? Or, let him go with just history for a bit and then switch over to science when he's done reading a historical biography or a unit of a Teaching Company lectures. Then go back to history when he's done a chapter of science?

You have my sympathies. I had a virus once that took me months to recover from. It can be very depressing.:grouphug:

I hope your son starts to feel better soon! :grouphug:

My recommendation would be to use his best 1.5 hour for math (1 hour) and comp (30 min). For composition you could have him choose a topic and work a bit on a paper every day till he finishes an essay, or you could have him do journal writing. Journal writing isn't exactly formal writing, but it is a great tool and an effective form of daily practice. Also journal writing might help him deal with the pent up anxieties that come from being bed ridden. Journal writing can also offer up some moments of surprisingly inspired writing due to the freedom & lack of pressure involved.

For the rest I would do books on CD or movies. History, literature, languages and even science . He can watch and listen and it will take very little physical effort on his part, even if he sleeps through parts he will still be learning.

I hope everything works out for the best!

:iagree:

Maybe your library has some Teaching Company CDs or DVDs he could use to cover subjects outside of math and writing. Then look for some classic lit on iTunesU or librivox (many of these are free since they are in the common domain) that he can listen to while resting.

I bet he won't feel like writing.... that would be the hardest because he is tired. And math, unless it is easy for him, that will put him to sleep too. I have fought fatigue in the past, it literally is mind numbing.

I would do Biology and Algebra Monday - Wednesday, and one day each of history and English on Thursday and Friday. I would get an easier biology program, maybe PACEs with their dvds. (aceministries.com). A private Christian school here says these are close to A Beka, but easier to do. For math I would go as easy as you can get away with, maybe MUS. If he prefers reading his school, I would get Lifepak US History, if he would prefer watching something, then Hippocampus.org and/or Teaching Co. or other dvd/cds. If you can get your hands on IEW Teaching Writing Structure and Style, my dd LOVED watching these and they would be good for getting him to at least think about writing. For Literature, maybe Lifepak's American Lit. (1 semester) or Teaching Company.

HTH and hope he is feeling better soon.

If you desire for your son to return to PS for the last part of this year then he will need to continue using the PS materials so he is 'caught up' when he returns.

It would probably be best if your son is withdrawn for the rest of this year (meaning school year). If you do this then you will need to work with your local PS as far as making sure he gets credit for his homeschool work--many districts do not give credit for high school homeschooled classes.

Another option is to use a correspondence school that is accredited.

You really NEED to talk with your local PS if you plan for him to return. Work with them on developing a plan.

Jann

If you desire for your son to return to PS for the last part of this year then he will need to continue using the PS materials so he is 'caught up' when he returns.

It would probably be best if your son is withdrawn for the rest of this year (meaning school year). If you do this then you will need to work with your local PS as far as making sure he gets credit for his homeschool work--many districts do not give credit for high school homeschooled classes.

Another option is to use a correspondence school that is accredited.

You really NEED to talk with your local PS if you plan for him to return. Work with them on developing a plan.

Jann

:iagree: This is exactly what I was thinking. The school should have some sort of homebound program. I'm surprised that wasn't suggested to you. Definitely work with them if you want him to return, especially mid-year.

Could he plan on taking some summer school classes next summer to take the pressure off of this school year?

Thank you for all the suggestions on how to help our son through.

Yes, I have talked to the school district. They are very homeschool friendly, so I do have some latitude on how we meet his physical and educational needs. I am talking with the Algebra teacher. He is planning to provide a syllabus for us to follow. The other classes I listed are two trimester classes. We plan to do those at home so he doesn't have to try to enter mid-stream. If he is well enough to return to school in the spring, he can take other one trimester classes accept for Algebra which is all year.

Cindy

If his goal is to graduate from the public school, then I don't think that you need to withdraw. I'm wondering if the school is saying that in his best interests or for the sake of saving money. If he's not able to attend school due to an illness, I believe it is the school's responsibility to arrange for alternate instruction for him. They should provide not only the books and all that are needed, but tutoring as well. I may be wrong on this, but I don't think so.

I'm sorry you're going through all of this. :grouphug:

ETA: I replied without reading - again : P I agree with what's been said about homebound options - couldn't think of the word when I was posting.

If his goal is to graduate from the public school' date=' then I don't think that you need to withdraw. I'm wondering if the school is saying that in his best interests or for the sake of saving money. If he's not able to attend school due to an illness, I believe it is the school's responsibility to arrange for alternate instruction for him. They should provide not only the books and all that are needed, but tutoring as well. I may be wrong on this, but I don't think so. [/quote']

Absolutely - there should be a homebound program where they provide materials and tutoring so that he can keep up with his classes. It makes me think that they don't want to pay for this - but by law, they must. They must also provide accommodations if he needs them - his books on CD or DVD, for example, or a computer program that will translate his spoken language into a written program. I am not sure if you will have to get an IEP or not, but either way, the school should be making a way for this to happen.

I don't think the school district is trying to shirk their responsibilities. They know we have homeschooled and we have been open that we are willing to do that again if it is needed. They have been most kind and concerned for our son.

We also live in a small district in an economically depressed area. Funds are an issue for our district. Even though it may be their responsibility to make the necessary accomodations for an ill student, I would feel bad requesting they spend money when I can do basically the same thing for free through the public library or online. The district also has a homelink program that we would be welcome to participate in if we so choose that would help pay for what is needed. Again, thank you for your input. All help has been appreciated.