Menu

What's your favorite Bible program?

JenC3

Bible Study Guide for All Ages. Wonderful program. I love to teach it and DS loves to learn from it. We are working on the Intermediate Level and are just finishing Quarter 1.

I highly recommend the Bible Book Summary Cards as well as the CD of songs. The summary cards really help the child to know what each book of the Bible is about and the CD is wonderful. DS has all the songs on his iPod and falls asleep listening to them.

I started using it on recommendations from The Hive.:D

My kids LOVE CLE Bible - love it! I like it - and if they do it daily it only takes half a year so we can do something else. For your age kids I'd recommend Leading Little Ones to God and Big Truths for Little Kids. They are more devotional books than "curriculum" (though LLTG can easily be a curriculum if you do the songs, memory verses, etc.) but they are wonderful!

I've loved everything I've used from Karyn Henley Resources. I've used several of her currriculum choices (curriculum tab) in the Pre-K and K range and we're enjoying her 1st grade foundations curriculum now. There are lots of activities and applications for each lesson so it could be spread out but we use it twice a week as family devotions. If I remember her K curriculum actually has a plan to use it daily. First grade is the Old Testament and 2nd grade will be New Testament and you have a timeline which continues over the two. The materials I used previous to 1st grade were topical in nature and also very good. I'm excited about the guides beyond 2nd grade too!

I'm also using her Day by Day Devotions (listed under the home education tab) for our daily devotions and I find it absolutely wonderful and meaningful. Her things are affordable too I felt.

She's got really good samples of her materials on her site so it's easy to look them over and see if they might be a good fit. I really love everything we've used and prior to finding her materials I had tried many things that just didn't fit or work for various reasons. In fact, I find them so good for my boys spiritual development that her materials are the one curriculum purchase I made for 1st grade.

Edited by sbgrace

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

For Elementary my favorite is the children's version of New Tribe Missions Firm Foundations Creation to Christ. I recently stumbled upon Character Sketches (there are 3 volumes) from Institute in Basic Life Principles and really like them. You learn character traits from the Bible and nature, and also learn all kinds of things about the animals. It's really kind of Bible and science together, and has BEAUTIFUL art work.

We are using "Suffer Little Children" by Gertrude Hoeksma. OK, I wasn't sure I'd like it and it's not all colorful and all that, but it is solid and meaty (even for first graders) and it is what I was looking for. (I mean, we started a 3 lesson study on Job today. Job, for first graders? But, she does a good job!) It's also very Reformed, which is also what I'd been looking for.

We are using God's Great Covenant from Classical Academic Press. It strikes me as somewhat similar to VP, except without the cards. We're doing OT: Part 1 this year. There are 2 parts for OT and the author is currently writing 2 parts for the NT to follow.

It has a teacher's manual as well, and I highly recommend it for the excellent notes.

I have a 7yo ds, a 4yo ds and an almost 2 yo dd, so similar in age to your children.