Menu

Am I the only one who doesn't like leaving the house?

:iagree: A lot of women get refreshed by being around other women. I get refreshed by being around NO ONE.

My goody gumdrops. So do I. I find it exhausting to make social chit-chat and look people in the eye when talking. I go to a party and get to know people. But I come home ABSOLUTELY drained and pooped out. I need my alone time to "recharge". ;)

Edited by tex-mex

My goody gumdrops. So do I. I find it exhausting to make social chit-chat and look people in the eye when talking. I go to a party and get to know people. But I come home ABSOLUTELY drained and pooped out. I need my alone time to "recharge". ;)

Same here. Oh my goodness, same here!

And I also don't love people in my house for longer than a very short time.

Between all of my kids' and dh's social obligations (the ones I *have* to smile about and attend) and the perma-visitors at my house (8,9,10, 14 hours at a time) we seem to be having every.single.day. for the past almost 2 months (can you hear my teeth grinding as I'm typing this :001_huh:), I'm quite close to a complete breakdown. I have even cried twice.

Edited by LauraGB
in my emotional outburst, I forgot to type several words

Same here. Oh my goodness, same here!

And I also don't love people in my house for longer than a very short time.

Between all of my kids' and dh's social obligations (the ones I *have* to smile about and attend) and the perma-visitors at my house (8,9,10, 14 hours at a time) we seem to be having every.single.day. for the past almost 2 months (can you hear my teeth grinding as I'm typing this :001_huh:), I'm quite close to a complete breakdown. I have even cried twice.

Oh, Laura, I'm just like you and TexMex. It wipes me out to be around people and I do sometimes get to the point of tears when I have to endure long periods of time around them. (I had a panic attack in Wegman's grocery store one Saturday and vowed never to shop for groceries on a Saturday again!!!! There were hundreds of people and carts and noise and confusion - I just started to cry- good thing Dd18 was there to prod me along and get me through the line and out the door.)

Tomorrow is my church's annual business meeting. We have Sunday School, Morning Worship and then a big ol' potluck lunch followed by the meeting. For the past few years I have stayed home on business meeting days - I absolutely want to crawl in a hole at the thought of being in a large room with 30 other families (and all those little ones) eating and milling about. If I absolutely have to go to an event like this I pick a spot at a table in the corner near a wall and just watch as the crowd moves around. When I went to a hayride a few weeks ago I actually did not go on the hayride - I stayed behind and just stood by the bonfire with a couple of other old fogies.:D Maybe it has something to do with getting older. Can't believe I used to be a cheerleader in high school - very outgoing and perky. I'm nothing like that now.

And having grown up working in a family business and hardly ever being at home, I can hardly stand to stay indoors for an entire day, much less two or three in a row, LOL.....

Okay, let me clarify. I don't want to stay indoors all day. I just want to be at home, in my own house, in my own yard, in my own garden.

I don't go out unless I have to, then I dash home as quickly as I can.

:iagree: I haven't left the house in over a week. And I'm totally fine with that. Granted, my distaste for going out is directly related to having RSD, but I've never been huge on going out just for the sake of going out. If I leave the house, its because I need to go. And Wolf has pretty much taken over the grocery shopping, so that's not even an issue. SpecialMama sometimes drags me out of the house, with Wolf pushing me out at the same time :lol: They both worry about my mental health if I stay home 24/7. :lol:

I wish I did enjoy being home more because my son (Aspergers) never wants to leave meanwhile I start climbing the walls.

My personality is that if I'm home too much I feel almost a slight depression creeping over me, like I'm sinking too much into my own little world, and getting out is refreshing, invigorating, and gives me perspective. I'm an extrovert with some introvert tendencies (I overanalyze people and converations) but I'm energized by other people as well - I believe you learn something from everyone you meet.

My MIL has what I believe to be agorophobia because as she has gotten older she has withdrawn more and more. And the more she withdrawls into herself the more her other manifestations of anxiety come out (hypochondria, poor self body image, depression). She has pretty much cut out all of her family due to this but will not seek treatment.

I used to like going out a whole lot more than I do now. The longer I homeschool, and the more children I have, the more I like being home. I find if I go out, it wrecks my school day, and gets me behind on cooking, cleaning AND school.

That is a big thing for me too. If I go out too much during the week, we get sidetracked on school and everything else.

You know, I was thinking about it, and a lot of it has to do with the ages of my kids too.

When I had an infant, 2 yr old, 3 1/2 yr old, and 10 yr old, I had to get out of the house most days. You would think I'd want to be home then, since it's work taking littles out. But as much as I love babies and toddlers, they can be boring. It's not like you can have a real meaningful conversation. So I preferred to take them to the park or a playgroup for the first half of the day, I could talk to other adults or even if I was alone, it just seemed to help pass the time if they could dig in the sandbox and feed the ducks and walk around the park. Then when we got home, they'd be ready for lunch and naps. And that would take care of a lot of my day before dh came home for dinner. Plus, my 10 yr old was deschooling from public school, and he benefited from nature walks, going to the science museum, and any other interesting events and locations I could find.

But now that they are 6, 8, 10, and 16, we do lots of discussing and exploring all day at home through hsing. I am often all talked out and so ready for quiet time, the last thing I want to do is have to go make conversation with other people. And their school work is more involved, and school days are longer, and I feel like my brain has plenty of stimulation at home.

Hmmm....not me. Sometimes I wish I was always out running my kids all over town and doing something fun instead, but if I stay in my house for more than one day....I go stir crazy! I love being out. I'm a people person though, and I love social events, parties, shopping, church activities, etc. Not to say that I also don't enjoy time spent at home, but not more than a full day at a time. Or else I might have to clean something. :glare: