Menu

Anyone ever been charged by yahoo mail?

I am at my yahoo account right now. It has no record of a payment method or me having any paid accounts.

In order to do that I have to cancel my debit card and sign an form. Which I am doing in a just a moment. Yahoo is not open yet so I haven't talked to them. They should be able to tell me whos account what email address etc.

If you never gave yahoo your card numbers, someone else has gotten your card number and is using it to pay for their own account. I would call in that card as stolen, and notify Yahoo that your card was fraudulently charged.

I had someone open a Netflix account in MI and charge it to my debit card (I live in IL). It was a big pain. I filed a police report and fraud alert. Since we had no idea how she got my card number, we didn't know what else might be compromised. I had to get all new credit cards, and put a "new credit" freeze on my social with all the credit reporting agencies.

We got charged on our phone bill for a monthly service that was completely unrelated to phones. I think it was music downloading or something. Someone just randomly entered our phone number to join this service. That way they wouldn't be charged. Any chance that's what's happened with your debit card?

The phone company told me they provided this way of charging misc junk to our phone number as a "service". I was furious they'd let people do this without any sort of verification. They implied that I was being silly, that this was the wave of the future.

I called the bank. That is how I found out where the charges were coming from. I am waiting to talk to yahoo and see where the charges are coming from, let them know I did not authorize these, see if they will refund before I file a claim, then after all that I am canceling my debit card again.

I really just need to go back to cash!

Yahoo does have a service that cost $19.99 in which you can have your email forwarded to your computer automatically (for instance if you use Outlook or some such program). Is it possible that you signed up for this at some time and forgot about it? I am surprised every year when the charge shows up and I have to ask hubby what it is for again.

well I called yahoo. After checking into it and asking me the security questions (by the way none of them I knew) like what was my frequent flyer number, I don't have one. Or what is my favorite uncle. Again none of those. They figured out it was someone else trying to use my card. They have rejected those accounts, transfered them to their legal department, they are going to refund my money.

I called the bank there is not any more charges that I did not do. They said that I am lucky that I caught this today when it was coming in. Yahoo also said that. Since the accounts were trying to be set up this morning. My debit card is canceled. Wow, this really could have been a bad thing.

See I use Hotmail because it is free to transfer to my computer. I only have a yahoo account for my yahoo groups I frequent.

The thing that scares me is I only buy from places I know. Like Amazon, or through paypal. Then if it is through a site I am not familiar with I call the company and make sure first. This freaks me out.

Netflix was happy to do the refund, but only after we filed the police report and gave them the case number. Netflix also would not give us the information of the person who registered the account, but they gave it to the police.

I called the bank. That is how I found out where the charges were coming from. I am waiting to talk to yahoo and see where the charges are coming from, let them know I did not authorize these, see if they will refund before I file a claim, then after all that I am canceling my debit card again.

I really just need to go back to cash!

I'm glad Yahoo was easy to deal with.

It is alarming. When it happened to me, Netflix said the person had to have known my card number, the security code on the back of it, and the correct billing zip code. Somehow she had all of this. :glare: That's why I went on full alert and shut everything down.

well I called yahoo. After checking into it and asking me the security questions (by the way none of them I knew) like what was my frequent flyer number, I don't have one. Or what is my favorite uncle. Again none of those. They figured out it was someone else trying to use my card. They have rejected those accounts, transfered them to their legal department, they are going to refund my money.

I called the bank there is not any more charges that I did not do. They said that I am lucky that I caught this today when it was coming in. Yahoo also said that. Since the accounts were trying to be set up this morning. My debit card is canceled. Wow, this really could have been a bad thing.

See I use Hotmail because it is free to transfer to my computer. I only have a yahoo account for my yahoo groups I frequent.

The thing that scares me is I only buy from places I know. Like Amazon, or through paypal. Then if it is through a site I am not familiar with I call the company and make sure first. This freaks me out.

Yeah, the person knew all that! They would not tell me who it was. Now I keep thinking where did I use my card that was different than usual. There is only 2 places recently, both were creditable stores. I am shocked. My bank did say there is no more pending or on hold off of that card so that is nice. But still that person knew all my info! Freaks me out.

Yeah, the person knew all that! They would not tell me who it was. Now I keep thinking where did I use my card that was different than usual. There is only 2 places recently, both were creditable stores. I am shocked. My bank did say there is no more pending or on hold off of that card so that is nice. But still that person knew all my info! Freaks me out.

If you have a facebook or anything like that, you might make sure it is locked down.

We got a call from our bank because someone had used dh's debit card at an atm in Utah. Apparently, these rings acquire the numbers and make fake physical cards. The bank froze the card and sent dh a new card. The next morning dh's facebook had been locked because someone had tried to hack into it. I'm guessing to steal information to answer security questions?

See I don't have a facebook or anything like that.

Now a friend of mine needed me to get on her facebook one day. She was talking me through it over the phone. That was a major ordeal. I had to recognize people in photos. THis is people I have never seen in my life. I had to answer questions she was even not sure of. IT was crazy. I cannot see how anyone could hack those. They make it where you really have to know the person. Which really is a scary thought.

See I don't have a facebook or anything like that.

Now a friend of mine needed me to get on her facebook one day. She was talking me through it over the phone. That was a major ordeal. I had to recognize people in photos. THis is people I have never seen in my life. I had to answer questions she was even not sure of. IT was crazy. I cannot see how anyone could hack those. They make it where you really have to know the person. Which really is a scary thought.

See, the photo thing, that is what happens when your account has been locked due to suspicious activity.

Yeah, and that was an ordeal. I had to tell her what the picture was of, describe the people in the photo and give her all the names of the people it listed that it could be. IT took us like 30 minutes to get it all done. I could not believe it. But you know it is nice that they do that. So, it is harder on people to hack them.

Numbers can be stolen even at reputable stores. Someone stole DH's debit card info at the beginning of one of his deployments. The ONLY place he had used his card was at the little PX/BX on the military base in Afghanistan. Which means that someone employed by the military (and who in theory passed a background check), stole his info. LOL..when I called our bank, the person had the gall to ask me if I was really sure he was in Afghanistan and not China (where the charges originated from).

I'm glad that Yahoo is taking care of it, and that they're not hassling you over it. Having your information compromised is a scary, stressful thing.

Numbers can be stolen even at reputable stores. Someone stole DH's debit card info at the beginning of one of his deployments. The ONLY place he had used his card was at the little PX/BX on the military base in Afghanistan. Which means that someone employed by the military (and who in theory passed a background check), stole his info. LOL..when I called our bank, the person had the gall to ask me if I was really sure he was in Afghanistan and not China (where the charges originated from).

I'm glad that Yahoo is taking care of it, and that they're not hassling you over it. Having your information compromised is a scary, stressful thing.

I know several military families here who have had this problem (including us, like I said). We were thinking it might be a Hawaii-centric problem, but now I wonder if the problem is with someone who works at an AAFES processing center somewhere.