Menu

How do you hang your maps?

robsiew

Do you have a creative way of hanging your big maps? I'd love to see them! Right now mine are stored under a couch, but I'd love to have a good way of getting them out from under there and more accessible.

I just saw a cool metal wire with clips on it that mounts on the wall from Ikea at my bf's house. Anyone know what this might be called? I have a note in to her to ask her the name of it. (we were just visiting her out of state and I forgot to ask her what it's called so I can find it!)

I'm also wondering what other great ideas are out there that might not cost much money to do...

Thanks for sharing! Any picts would be greatly appreciated! :D

I have the clips from Ikea but just discovered another way that I think we are going to try. Another hs mom's dh got roller blinds from Home Depot and attached their maps (with fabric glue maybe?) to the blinds and then attached the blinds to the wall. She can roll them up and down now as she needs them, kind of like the old roller maps we all had in school.

I have called that Ikea wire an "inspiration wire", but maybe I just made that name up! We recently bought one but have yet to install it. I had trouble finding it in the store at first, it is in the curtain section, not in the kids or office section.

We hung up thin white rope that we hung up on the wall. I use wood clothes pins that the boys have painted to attach things. We hang maps, art work, reminders, and anything else that the boys would like to display... It is easy, inexpensive and when the clothes pins are down, the rope is not that visible.. so if it is in an area where I do not always want to have the display up... I can easily disguise it.

Christina

Mother to two lovely and delightful sons, just 9 and 7.5 - do not forget the half pleeeease

If you just want them "up" on the wall, I was enlightened by a member of this forum (MtnTeacher) about Mavalus tape in a thread I started (linked below).

This stuff is jolly-good. Holds a big laminated map, and doesn't damage paint. There is a "trick" to using this "single sided" tape. You pull out a section, hold the pulled-out tape end up high with one hand, and then spin the dispenser end (with tape still attached) down low. This results in a "tube" of tape. You attach multiple tubes and they hold very well. The manufacturer has videos on their website of how to spin the tape if my explanation in making you think: Huh???

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179399&highlight=Maps

Bill

Our family room has a large bare wall. We mounted the large maps, US and World, separately on two boards and framed them out, painted the frame white and hung them side by side along the wall. Both are at a decent height for the kids to be able to look and touch from about age 4 on. The family room has a white chair rail about 1/3 (or more) up the wall. The room color above the rail is bibbity-bobbity blue (disney color) and below the rail is stark white. I love how it looks!!

Curtain clips! TY to whoever knew the name! That's what I was looking for! Thanks for the good ideas everyone! I've used tape, staples and tacks.... I really like the idea of being able to change them out easily and not ruining the corners with tacks. I may see if my dh can fashion something, otherwise the curtain wire is not too expensive.... here's what I'm talking about if anyone else is interested....

wire "map" hanger

Apparently the clips come separate...

clips

The Command Poster Strips are good....but the Command Picture Strips are better!!!! They are the same kind of thing but with a velcro-like contact between two adhesive strips. This velcro fastener lets you reposition the maps should they bulge or come undone.

Wow, what a move you've made! Welcome to MN! I'm thinking I'd like to try GA! Love the fall, but getting tired of the winters! :001_smile:

We are going to paint this winter so I'm definitely going to look into those picture strips to finally hang some photos up! They sound great!

When I was a kid, we had a big map board in the basement for planning hiking trips. It's a full piece of plywood, painted, with a row of nails at the top, about a foot apart. Now that I think about it, you could do it with just a strip of wood, rather than a full sheet of plywood. Each map had two binder clips at the top, which were hung on the nails at whatever width they need to be for that map. When the maps are loaded on, you get a stack of maps that you can flip through to find the one you want for a quick glance, or remove one and lay it out on the table. It's a good system when you have a lot of maps and don't need them all visible all the time.