Menu

Can you grow medicinal herbs indoors?

Which herbs are you wanting to grow? You usually can start most seeds indoors, so that when you finally get past your frost free date you can plant the seedlings outside.

You need to find out when your frost free date is. Look up each herb for when it can be planted outside (x # of weeks before or after your frost free weeks). Find a place in your house that is warm and gets some sun (or get a grow light). Water often at first.

Plant the seeds based on when they need to be planted out. For example, if your herb needs to be planted outside 1 week after the frost free date which is April 1. You decide you want a small plant about 3 weeks old. It takes about a week to germinate, then you plant 4 week before April 1 or about March 1.

Aloe you can grow like a house plant. I would try to buy a plant and not start it from seed.

Chamomile and lavender you can start from seed (I believe).

I would buy Lemon Balm and Peppermint plants in the spring. They are readily found in garden stores. I would be very careful where you plant peppermint because it is spreads.

Good luck.

You can certainly grow herbs indoors. Over time, I'm not entirely sure that pot grown plants are going to have the strength or all of the properties that outdoor plants will have, however. Such a thing wouldn't matter much if you're just using them for cooking, but it might be different if you want them for medicinal purposes....

I would like to do Aloe, Lavender, Chamomille, Peppermint, Lemon Balm.?

With the exception of aloe, I have all the rest in my garden. I harvest them about now (zone 5) and dry them for the winter. Since they are perennials, they are back in full swing again by June. Is dried something you are willing to do?

I also have an aloe plant in the house - lives all year long inside :).

I woud just grow them in pots and put them outside for teh part of the year that you can- so that they harden and become strong- and bring them in for the part of the year where they would die outside. But...keep them where they will get lots of natural light and preferable some direct sunshine. THey may not thrive inside- mine never have- but you could probably keep them alive.

I was wondering if maybe a greenhouse would work okay, but probably not.

I think I will start the seeds inside, and with the others, just buy the plants.

Is there a certain place you buy your herb seeds/plants?

I have to find a good spot outside for my herb garden. Am I to assume they need a large area outside to grow?

Some of those might work in an aerogarden during the colder months.

I had tomatoes in February with my aerogarden. :001_smile: it might be worth a look on their site to see which herbs they sell... Perhaps you could mix and match to get the ones you'd like.

The plants won't get as big in an aerogarden as they will outside, but it's pretty amazing how much they can produce for the size.