Menu

Military families - question about state residency

I've got my kids doing K12 this year - and while I know many people say it isn't really homeschooling, I love it. I have been thinking about what we will do when we move if K12 isn't offered as a charter wherever we go.

I've talked to a few ladies about submitting it as an AFAP(?) issue to see if the DOD could offer K12 to military families.

However, yesterday I was talking to our teacher here in KS and she said they had families that still claim residency here through a familiy member and use the K12 charter. We still have TX as our home state and my parents still live there. So, if we are sent to somewhere without a state charter, could I legally use my parents address to enroll the kids in the TXVA?

I would still like to pursue having it offered through the DOD because I think it ought to be. I really love the K12 curriculum and would love to be able to be certain we could use it as long as we wanted.

Thanks for any input!

My understanding is that when you homeschool (when you are in the States, not overseas,) you must follow the laws in the state you *live in...not your "State of Residence."

I have no idea how this would effect K-12. I would think that as long as you were following the laws of the state you live in, you would be fine there...then it would be up to K-12 to decide if they would allow you to enroll.

I would contact K-12. I would imagine this has came up before, and they would know how it would work...*IF it would work.

I've got my kids doing K12 this year - and while I know many people say it isn't really homeschooling, I love it. I have been thinking about what we will do when we move if K12 isn't offered as a charter wherever we go.

I've talked to a few ladies about submitting it as an AFAP(?) issue to see if the DOD could offer K12 to military families.

However, yesterday I was talking to our teacher here in KS and she said they had families that still claim residency here through a familiy member and use the K12 charter. We still have TX as our home state and my parents still live there. So, if we are sent to somewhere without a state charter, could I legally use my parents address to enroll the kids in the TXVA?

I would still like to pursue having it offered through the DOD because I think it ought to be. I really love the K12 curriculum and would love to be able to be certain we could use it as long as we wanted.

Thanks for any input!

I'm pretty sure the military could not offer K12 without offering other curricula as well. How would that work from a procurement perspective?

Why should they pay for people who want to do K12 and not pay for my curriculum?

Should the military pay for other private/charter schools for those who choose not to participate in the public schools?

I would completely disagree with the military paying for K12 on several levels.

I also agree with Wagswife, you are required to follow state law.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Well, the DOD already pays a subsidy to states with military bases for each child enrolled in their schools. Overseas they provide DOD schools. There is a lot of talk about wanting to return to DOD schools for every military child so the standards could be the same across the board, but the cost is prohibitive.

Since my children will not be able to have a continuity of education using the public schools because of their father's career, I choose to keep them at home. While I am allowed to homeschool, the resources for homeschoolers vary wildly from location to location. I am not able to provide my children with the same experiences and tools here in KS that I could in Dallas. I'm not saying it can't be good, but it is definitely harder to accomplish.

K12 is the curriculum I choose and personally think it is the best "virtual" curriculum out there, but for argument's sake, any virtual school that provides a good education, allows for continuity, allows for academic standards to be met across the board would be a great benefit to military children and families. I'm not saying everyone should have to use it, but I think it would be a huge benefit to have it as an option for military families.

Well, the DOD already pays a subsidy to states with military bases for each child enrolled in their schools. Overseas they provide DOD schools. There is a lot of talk about wanting to return to DOD schools for every military child so the standards could be the same across the board, but the cost is prohibitive.

That isn't why they don't do it, or least not the only reason. They will not do it because it would be too financially hurtful to the communities with large military populations. Yes, the schools receive a subsidy for students enrolled, because military people are not putting as much into the economy tax-wise. Many of them live on post, rent v. buy homes, shop at the PX and commissary, etc. Each state decides what to do with that money.

Here in Hawaii they only have ONE school district. The vast majority of military are on the island of Oahu. I think military families make up 10% of Hawaii's population, military personnel alone make up almost 2%. Hawaii spreads out the subsidy for military kids *throughout* the Hawaii public schools system, even schools with NO military students.

Hawaii has terrible schools. Everyone knows this. A LOT of people homeschool or have their kids in charter and/or private schools. I know one family paying $10k per year for their *kindergartner* to attend private school here. We have had a series of special studies here because people are refusing Hawaii assignments due to the schools situation. But, they won't build a DoD school because the state of Hawaii would have a holy fit. It would have a HUGE impact on Hawaii's schools-financially and testing-wise (military kids test higher).

Since my children will not be able to have a continuity of education using the public schools because of their father's career, I choose to keep them at home. While I am allowed to homeschool, the resources for homeschoolers vary wildly from location to location. I am not able to provide my children with the same experiences and tools here in KS that I could in Dallas. I'm not saying it can't be good, but it is definitely harder to accomplish.
I understand, I'm in the exact same situation and my kids are older than yours. I have a high school student. It doesn't get any easier.

K12 is the curriculum I choose and personally think it is the best "virtual" curriculum out there, but for argument's sake, any virtual school that provides a good education, allows for continuity, allows for academic standards to be met across the board would be a great benefit to military children and families. I'm not saying everyone should have to use it, but I think it would be a huge benefit to have it as an option for military families.
Why should DoD pay for YOUR curriculum of choice and not mine?

Now, if you want to argue that military families should be able to receive the school subsidy in the form of a voucher to apply toward education purposes, I can understand that. That is a different story and it has been pushed as an AFAP issue in the past.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

I completely agree- I am disappointed that the military does not maintain DODEA/DDESS schools throughout the US as many military bases are in states/areas where the school system is...lacking. I think it would be nice if they could at least offer a virtual academy option so students could have a consistent, quality education as they move around the country and the world.

As to the original question regarding legally using the virtual academy- we were told by our home state that we had to PHYSICALLY reside in the state to use the program...however if you could attend any required testing in state, I'm not sure that your legal versus physical residence would ever become an issue.

Thanks for any input!

I think you are talking about a couple different things here. One question is can you maintain your eligibility to use your current K12 charter. It would seem that this depends on the requirements in KS or TX.

But you will still need to be in compliance with whatever homeschool laws the state you're posted in has. So for example, if they require fire safety and that isn't part of K12, you need to make sure you do fire safety. If they require testing, then off to testing you should go.

I think that DOD is hesitant to be seen offering special programs to homeschoolers that family members enrolled in schools don't have access to. It has been hard enough just getting homeschoolers access to the DoDEA resources like libraries and afterschool clubs without asking for something special. I agree with Mrs. Mungo that you'd probably have better luck trying to get the federal impact funds available for use by homeschoolers than getting K12 specifically provided. Or you might try to find an organization that would fund a grant for military homeschoolers for K12. That is my understanding of how Worldwide IDEA was funded (and why it no longer exists; the grant ran out aroun 2006).

[i have to say, however, that I did spend three years homeschooling with a DoD reimbursement program and while it was nice have the money, there were so many strings attached to it that I'm quite leary of these types of programs. We had to pay up front then submit a claim. The claims were processed by the most unresponsive, hard headed and picayune sort of people. We had to get a gifted assessment in order to get books paid for that were considered above the DODEA grade level. Always, but especially in the current fiscal environment, money will come with strings attached.]

If it is just a question of continuing to use K12, it does seem that you can buy access even if you aren't in a charter. It is still well below what you'd pay for a private school in most places.

We are homeschooling in large part for continuity in education and I can see your point. I can definitely see the benefit of a virtual DOD school for dependent children similar to the virtual public schools that many states now offer.

I probably wouldn't choose it for my family but I do think it should be offered for those who would like the stability for their kids and aren't comfortable (or able for whatever reason) to homeschool on their own.

We are homeschooling in large part for continuity in education and I can see your point. I can definitely see the benefit of a virtual DOD school for dependent children similar to the virtual public schools that many states now offer.

I probably wouldn't choose it for my family but I do think it should be offered for those who would like the stability for their kids and aren't comfortable (or able for whatever reason) to homeschool on their own.

DODEA has a virtual academy for high schoolers whose schools don't offer particular courses or who have schedule conflicts. They are more likely to expand this to non-DoDEA enrolled students than to fund an outside offering.

There is also a political edge to DoD schools. One of the reasons there are so few in the US is that there has to be a certification that the local schools are inadequate. If you have senators on important committees (like Hawaii's) then this is never going to happen.

You need to follow the law of the state in which you are living for homeschooling purposes. The state of residency issue applies to driver's licenses and voting, but not the other laws in the state. For example, the dependent spouse pays income tax in the state in which he/she is living, not the state of residency. So whether or not you could do K12 would depend on the laws of the state you are living in.

Mary

Retired Air Force JAG (lawyer)

You need to follow the law of the state in which you are living for homeschooling purposes. The state of residency issue applies to driver's licenses and voting, but not the other laws in the state. For example, the dependent spouse pays income tax in the state in which he/she is living, not the state of residency. So whether or not you could do K12 would depend on the laws of the state you are living in.

Mary

Retired Air Force JAG (lawyer)

:iagree:

Also, you cannot just change your residency to Texas (or some other random state) unless you have a good reason for doing so.

This is a good question and one I had been wondering about as well. We are DoD and will be overseas for many years. It would be great if we could use K12 through CA or CO, the states we're connected to. I know CA has various charters and such for it. Hmmm? Good luck with your solution!

I've read all the responses and after dealing with moving a lot before this rotation, I did a lot of research on what homeschool laws you have to follow.

What state you claim on your LES has NO impact on your homeschooling laws. You must follow the homeschool laws of the state you are currently living in. So you can't use your parent's address to enroll in a charter in TX if you're living in say VA. My parents live in WI, dh and I own a house there, that my brother lives in so it doesn't go to pot while we're gone, but I can't claim that in order to use the easier laws of WI when I'm living in VA. It's a pain, but if your kids were in public school you'd have to follow the public schooling laws of the state you're in, it's the same with homeschooling. K12 currently has free virtual schooling (via the public school option) in 29 states and the District of Columbia, maybe you'll be lucky and can transfer to one of those states.

:iagree:

Also, you cannot just change your residency to Texas (or some other random state) unless you have a good reason for doing so.

We are Texans, we never changed residency.

I called and asked the K12 customer support and they said nope. As PS students the kids do have to take whatever test the state requires, so if you're very far away it wouldn't be feasible to return for testing anyway.

Just trying to think this through for the next few years.

K12 currently has free virtual schooling (via the public school option) in 29 states and the District of Columbia, maybe you'll be lucky and can transfer to one of those states.

See, I hate it that my kids education may depend on us getting lucky. KWIM? I *know* I could go back to doing it on my own, but I was not the best at it and I don't want to give them less than the best. Virtual school has been a good answer for us and it irks me that with everything else the kids give up, they may not have access to a program that really works well with/for them because we're moving. I know, I know.....get used to it. It just irks me.

I would guess that any virtual school would meet any state standards. Doing k12 (or whatever virtual school) would just be another way to meet the standards, no different than choosing to use Abeka, Sonlight, or any other curriculum. Obviously reporting is different from state to state, but the basic standards for education aren't going to vary wildly.

See, I hate it that my kids education may depend on us getting lucky. KWIM? I *know* I could go back to doing it on my own, but I was not the best at it and I don't want to give them less than the best. Virtual school has been a good answer for us and it irks me that with everything else the kids give up, they may not have access to a program that really works well with/for them because we're moving. I know, I know.....get used to it. It just irks me.

I would guess that any virtual school would meet any state standards. Doing k12 (or whatever virtual school) would just be another way to meet the standards, no different than choosing to use Abeka, Sonlight, or any other curriculum. Obviously reporting is different from state to state, but the basic standards for education aren't going to vary wildly.

I completely understand not wanting to have your kids education depend on "getting lucky" when it comes to rotating. That's exactly why many of the other military families I know choose to homeschool in the first place. K12 is always available no matter what the state if you pay for it yourself, and I know that may not be financially an option but it is available that way too.

As to how wildly the state education standards may vary, I was very surprised at the differences in what WI wanted and VA wanted the kids to know and my son was only in PS for K and half of 1st (K in WI, and it was all day K, and 1st in VA) .

I think public shools should offer some form of curriculum for free to homeschoolers. I don't like K12 overall but some of their books are ok. Dod is picky about doling curriculum money. Come on how long have you been dealing with the Dod? :lol:

See, that's my biggest problem. DH was National Guard for the last decade and just went active duty last fall. So, while we've dealt with deployments, pay issues, leave issues, etc., it's all been done from the safety of "home". Now I'm facing the reality that I'm not in control of anything and it irks me. BUT, I have to count my blessings - dh's old NG unit is getting ready for their next deployment and he's not going anywhere for another year. Lots of trade-offs....