Menu

Key West in April or September?

DH and I are hoping to go away, just the 2 of us. I'm thinking we might end up in Key West. There's a lot of Wildlife Refuges there with birds. He LOVES to do photography of wildlife and I love to read. Both are thigns that can't really be done with a 9 & 6 yr old in tow. I thought this might be a good trip cause we can both get some 'me' time in, and some quiet time together.

Input? Things we must see, places we must eat? Things/places to avoid?

TIA!

Go at the end of April and spring break season should be about done as colleges have final exams mid-May. Breaks seem to run from early March to mid-April. Call the Key West tourist commission office (actually speak to someone there, in addition to looking at any web site). They will tell you what dates to avoid and may be able to suggest a property that would be kid-friendly for your family but not a collegiate party palace.

If you plan to go in September, buy some travel insurance. Hurricane season. I wouldn't usually let hurricane season stop me from planning a coastal vacation, but if you're talking Key West, maybe. A mandatory evacuation out of the keys = nightmare. That is one long bridge to sit on with a thousand other cars....

I agree that April is better - it's not hurricane season! And if you avoid the week before and after Easter you should avoid any school holidays and it used to be that the colleges all had their spring breaks through out the month of March - so collegiate spring breakers shouldn't be a problem.

Have Fun!!

I just looked and Easter is April 24th, which means that high schools will be breaking around then. UGH. Maybe 1st week in May. That is just SO late for spring break! Colleges usually hit mid to late March, I think.

Maybe October? But that's a YEAR away?!?!?!!!

I just looked and Easter is April 24th, which means that high schools will be breaking around then. UGH. Maybe 1st week in May. That is just SO late for spring break! Colleges usually hit mid to late March, I think.

Maybe October? But that's a YEAR away?!?!?!!!

Hurricane season is June - Nov. First week of May would be nice though! You might want to check out a schedule of events/festivals as well in case you want to avoid any related crowds.