$300,000 to church

$10,000 for a smoking trip to a beach for my DH

$20,000 for a used RV for me and the kids

$40,000 to prep our house for sale and sell it

$400,000 Buy a house and land in the country

$400,000 set aside for the kids in investments

$300,000 set aside to help family

Invest the rest for long term retirement

I know, not exciting, but we're not super exciting. DH would keep his job, but he'd work fewer hours and the kids and I would travel more with him.

We would move home! To the area my hubby and I grew up; where we would love for our kids to experience. Pay off the mortgage and restore the old home that is on the acreage that we have already purchased(our forever home). My hubby could start the business of his dreams instead of working too hard and missing out on the kids' childhood.

Next up would be a couple of new cars! Oh how I love that new car smell (and the way new cars seem to work properly *sigh*).

Daily life would stay much the same. However, we would become a family who vacations every year. "So kids, where should we go for summer vacation?" I would love to say these words!

The rest would go to investments and nest eggs - boring stuff like that.

What fun it is to dream...

Buy a house I love in a town I want to be in (i.e., not this one!), pay off my parents' house, give a bunch to charity and to people in need directly, take my DH on that dream vacation he's been wanting, and put the rest into savings for college, retirement, and future travel plans. I MIGHT look into buying a small beach house/condo, but we'd have to weigh that against the college savings!

I would probably build a new theater for our community theater company, something with good storage for costumes and sets, more modern seating and sound, etc. But still modest size, so I'm thinking maybe 1.5 million or so.

The rest I would set up in safe bond-type investments to earn 5% or so per year, if possible.

In other words: blow up your tv, throw away your paper, move to the country, build you a home; have a lot of children, feed 'em all peaches, try and find Jesus on your own? ;)

Except for the last one (have done that already ;)), yup. And peaches in Canada? Probably not where we'd choose to live, lol!

But first, I'd donate 10% to the local children's hospital.

Family traveling, yup. I'll never suffer through another winter, that's for sure!

I'm not sure in today's market that I'd call this *super* big, LOL, but I'd pay off all debts, buy my husband and son cars of choice, and buy myself a different car, too (hate the one I'm driving). I'd buy some new furniture and have some refinished, etc.

I'd set up funds for both children. I'd give to my church. I'd set up a retirement fund for my husband and I.... We'd definitely travel more....

Investing it all is a way for life to become easier. You just have to have patience. Warren Buffet also makes his kids earn what they have.

I am assuming the $3M is before taxes, so take about half right off the top for the government. Then, I would invest the rest.

-And this is why we are obviously not living like millionaires!!!! Great idea, though!

3 million after taxes.....

A diesel RV to travel. 100k

Upgrade the garage/shop for DH where we are building our retirement home. 100k

Extra landscaping, inground pool, outdoor kitchen/backyard improvements. 250K

Raise quality of life for DH's parents.

Other than that I would invest the rest. I also wouldn't want many people to know. It is shocking that almost 80% of lottery winners wind up bankrupt within 5 years. In fact I think that a sudden windfall like this can destroy families and friendships. It seems like a lot of money but if you buy new houses, cars, and toys, it is gone pretty soon, and then people are mad because you didn't buy them anything. The money will run out unless you live conservatively. If you spent 100k a year just living and playing you wouldn't outlive the money.