Menu

Snarly hair question

My hair is wavy. Sometimes I'll get a few tight, Shirley Temple ringlets, but otherwise it is wavy.

No matter what brand of shampoo I use, when I get out of the shower, it is beyond snarly. Even when I use conditioner.

I try brushing it before the shower, and while it helps some, it is still pretty snarly.

When I brush it after coming out of the shower, I get 2 or 3 huge snarls at the bottom of my hair. My hair just feels dry and blah. I even use anti-snarl spray for children and it doesn't make much difference.

Are there any natural remedies/shampoos/etc?

We usually buy the dollar shampoo at Walgreens, and I would never dream of spending 6 bucks on shampoo.

Thanks.

ETA: My hair also falls out a lot. Not enough to give me bald spots but running my fingers through my hair every time makes hair fall out. I have really thick hair, so that is probably why my hair gets so snarly.

Edited by BeatleMania

You're hair sounds like mine. My hair isn't curly or straight...it is wavy. When it dries it shrinks, causing it to tangle and then I have to comb it because it's tangly...and the combing it causes it to frizz!!!! :(

I've never found a solution....I hoping someone has some answers though!

I don't think it's the shampoo at all. But I do think you need a good, leave in conditioner.

Dd10 has gorgeous, wavy hair but it used to be VERY curly. It used to knot all the time. What I learned was best to do was comb through the hair VERY THOROUGHLY while in the shower with a head full of conditioner. This was the best way to get the tangles out. Also, we started to use a spray in conditioner. There are several good leave-in conditioners in the market. It will be great for you since your hair is dry.

I have tried the very expensive hair products and while they SMELL good, the end results were never different for my hair. What I have found works wonders on dry hair is Garnier Fructis, the conditioner that's to be used weekly and deeply conditions. I actually use it every other day. My hair is colored and I blow it dry daily. I noticed that my hair was frizzing due to dryness until I started to use this stuff. I really like it. If you don't want to spend the money for shampoo, maybe just get a good conditioner.

You're hair sounds like mine. My hair isn't curly or straight...it is wavy. When it dries it shrinks, causing it to tangle and then I have to comb it because it's tangly...and the combing it causes it to frizz!!!! :(

I've never found a solution....I hoping someone has some answers though!

there are sprays made just for this.

I'd recommend a good shop at Target. They have a great selection, and they even sell some good salon products.

I have long, thick, curly hair. What works for me is to gently comb my hair out in the shower while I have conditioner in. I start at the bottom and work my way up. The conditioner doesn't get every tangle out but most will slide out. Then I rinse and get out.I also don't rub my hair dry. I wrap it in a fresh towel and let the towel absorb the water as much as possible.

Have you tried combing it through with a wide-toothed comb (one with wavy 'teeth', not straight) while you are still in the shower with conditioner in your hair? Then comb through again after you've rinsed and dried it gently with a towel or T shirt (wrap the cloth around your hair and squeeze the towel between your hands...do not rub the fabric back and forth across your hair).

Also, are you combing from the bottom up? As in, start your comb at the tips of your hair, comb through the tips only, then move up an inch, comb through again, move up an inch, comb through again, repeat, repeat, repeat.

I don't think it's the shampoo at all. But I do think you need a good, leave in conditioner.

Dd10 has gorgeous, wavy hair but it used to be VERY curly. It used to knot all the time. What I learned was best to do was comb through the hair VERY THOROUGHLY while in the shower with a head full of conditioner. This was the best way to get the tangles out. Also, we started to use a spray in conditioner. There are several good leave-in conditioners in the market. It will be great for you since your hair is dry.

I have tried the very expensive hair products and while they SMELL good, the end results were never different for my hair. What I have found works wonders on dry hair is Garnier Fructis, the conditioner that's to be used weekly and deeply conditions. I actually use it every other day. My hair is colored and I blow it dry daily. I noticed that my hair was frizzing due to dryness until I started to use this stuff. I really like it. If you don't want to spend the money for shampoo, maybe just get a good conditioner.

My hair gets very oily if I don't wash it everyday, do you know of any good daily leave ins?

Have you tried combing it through with a wide-toothed comb (one with wavy 'teeth', not straight) while you are still in the shower with conditioner in your hair? Then comb through again after you've rinsed and dried it gently with a towel or T shirt (wrap the cloth around your hair and squeeze the towel between your hands...do not rub the fabric back and forth across your hair).

Also, are you combing from the bottom up? As in, start your comb at the tips of your hair, comb through the tips only, then move up an inch, comb through again, move up an inch, comb through again, repeat, repeat, repeat.

Thanks, I'll try both those suggestions.

I've never heard of a wide-toothed comb though. I'll check that out too.

My hair gets very oily if I don't wash it everyday, do you know of any good daily leave ins?

this MAY be a problem. Dd's hair looked oily when I used the leave-ins, so I started to spray it in for her. I sprayed her hair well, leaving the product off the crown of the head to prevent it from looking dirty.

Even for daily leave in conditioners there are many. There are cream conditioners and there are spray in.

Thanks, I'll try both those suggestions.

I've never heard of a wide-toothed comb though. I'll check that out too.

there are very large combs that are almost like a pick because the teeth are large with large spaces. This would work great for you.

You know, after thinking about it, your hair MAY look dirty because you're getting the cheaper, or just wrong, shampoos. I understand not wanting to spend more, but I kept trying new shampoos until I found one that made dd's hair shiny and looking clean. It took awhile to find one that worked for her and she liked the smell of. We're using Aussie. She also used V05, and you can get that for cheap. dh had some real weird rash that was horrendous and the ONLY shampoo that he can use now, since then, is V05. His doctor recommended it.

this MAY be a problem. Dd's hair looked oily when I used the leave-ins, so I started to spray it in for her. I sprayed her hair well, leaving the product off the crown of the head to prevent it from looking dirty.

Even for daily leave in conditioners there are many. There are cream conditioners and there are spray in.

Thank you. I'll be checking out Walgreens soon.

those are what we use, both of them. Dd will brush through her hair with them and then I can even get a fine tooth comb through it. They work great. Again, as a pp said, start at the bottom and work up.

Thanks.

I'm going to have to do the "start at the bottom and work up" with a brush for awhile, until I can get to Walgreens, but hopefully it'll help a bit with the snarls.

Thanks everyone :)

I have long, thick, curly hair. What works for me is to gently comb my hair out in the shower while I have conditioner in. I start at the bottom and work my way up. The conditioner doesn't get every tangle out but most will slide out. Then I rinse and get out.I also don't rub my hair dry. I wrap it in a fresh towel and let the towel absorb the water as much as possible.

This is what I do. I brush my hair before getting in the shower, then I wash, put in the conditioner and comb the conditioner through my hair. As I rinse my hair, I comb it to help keep it from snarling and comb it again once it's all clean. Then I wrap it in a towel without rubbing it.

My hair is pretty short, not even down to my neck, and it is fine but thick and curly.

When I get out of the shower and dry my hair I bend forward, letting all of my hair fall forward and put in a leave-in conditioner, starting at the roots and working toward the ends. I take it slow and gently work out any tangles as I come across them.

For me, I've found it's really hard keeping my hair feeling healthy once it gets past a certain length.

My hair sounds a lot like yours. I have found that shampoo causes problems, no matter what brand I use. I just use conditioner like a shampoo in the shower and then leave it on my hair while I finish the shower. Right before I rinse it out, I comb through it with a wide tooth comb. My hair is still dry, but nothing like before. It also seems to have more curl and less wave (or mess) than before.

Get the book Curly Girl. Follow what she says for 2 weeks.life-changing.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/076115678X/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1287367280&sr=8-1

:iagree:

I have wavy hair, too. What works for me:

Only shampooing my scalp using a mild shampoo (I like Jessicul Gentle Lather Shampoo: http://www.curlmart.com/store/product.php?productid=363&cat=0&page=1)

Using plenty of conditioner all over my hair and letting it sit while I shave/wash up. Then I comb through my hair with a wide-tooth comb. It's usually nicely slick from the conditioner, so there are no tangling problems

After rinsing, putting just a tiny bit of conditioner into my wet hair so that my hair feels silky (cheaper than buying leave-in conditioner, which is just diluted conditioner)

Using a microfiber hair turban or one of my dh's old t-shirts to blot my hair dry, followed by some kind of gel/mousse/cream (or combo)--whatever I happen to have on hand--followed by partial drying with a diffuser and then air drying the rest of the way.

I used to have tangles all the time when I was little, but don't anymore. If you want to lose yourself in a wealth of information, check out this site: http://www.naturallycurly.com/ :001_smile:

• 2 years later...