Menu

What is THE biggest/best HS convention?

Assume you could go to any convention in the eastern half of the United States (including Cincinnati). Which one would it be? Assume that bigger = better, but all other things being equal, the one with the most high school resources (if there is any way to judge such a thing) would be preferred.

If you could include "why" in your responses, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks,

Terri

A few years ago when I was desperately looking into high school curriculum, I was looking around for the "biggest" conventions. Hubby had offered to take me anywhere I thought would help (that's how frustrated I was with things). Based on vendor lists and attendance numbers (when I could find them), the one in PA and one in Virginia were the two biggest I can figure out. I ended up resolving my issues and didn't go to either one but those were the 2 that I'd be looking into if I was in a position were I had to look at curriculum before buying.

The one in NC has a lot of vendors (over 175) but the conferences aren't very geared toward high school. When mine were in high school I found myself spending more time with the vendors than the speakers. They do have a lot of workshops directed at teens but I find they are attended more by parents and don't really help in the schooling end. They are more inspirational. I do enjoy the NC convention but find it's really more helpful for new homeschoolers and elementary aged students.

I would guess the FPEA in Orlando or the one in Winston-Salem, NC.

I went to Winston-Salem last year, and it was big, but I found there to be a lot of redundancy among the vendors. Really--does EVERY vendor have to feature Apologia science??? (In the interests of full disclosure, while that was frustrating to me, I DID end up buying Apologia for the first time and am very happy with it.)

I will look at FPEA, though. Thanks.

Terri