Menu

Best math teacher guide/manual

jer2911mom

Which math teacher guide/manual has provided you with the most thorough explanations and left you not searching for something more complete? Thanks

Tapestry of Grace

Classical Writing

Analytical Grammar

Right Start Math

All About Spelling

ABC's and all Their Tricks

Though none of them are perfect and all have their quirks. Some people especially find TOG and CW hard to figure out, but I found them laid out in the same way I think.

Heather

I really liked McRuffy tms for math and phonics. I wish all tms were that well laid out! Lightly scripted and bolded for easy glances, one lesson per page, and a small version of the workbook page with answers filled in. Hands on activities are reinforced with one workbook page per lesson/day, and many fun games are included. It helped me become a better teacher. It is very spiral, though, so it's not for mastery style learners.

Edited by Devotional Soul

Right Start Math

There isn't a separate TM for Math Mammoth but that program is awesome for helping walk the child through the concepts step-by-step-by-step.

I sometimes feel like a dummy because I have trouble figuring out how to use the information in the Singapore HIG's and the MEP lesson plans.

The only one I have any experience in is the Singapore Math Home Instructors guide. I am not a math person, I majored in English Lit. So far math is one of our best subjects, I am surprised that he is learning Math from me. We jumped in at grade 3, We did great for the first 2 units and then we got to number bonds. My husband (who is good at Math) got it, just from the instructor guide. I was still a little hazy, so I bought the 1A instructor guide, now I understand it.

It is not scripted, it starts each chapter telling you the parent about the concept. If it is building upon something already done, it tells you when and gives you a review. If it is new, it explains why, how and all that. Then for the sub parts it gives you ideas of how to teach the concept with the manipulatives, games and the answers.

I hope that helps

I would have to say McRuffy and Saxon are my favorite TMs. The saxon TMs for grades K-3 are very scripted, which can be difficult if you're not good at editing on the fly or if you don't have time to read it over before teaching to edit it down if needed. McRuffy is less scripted than Saxon but doesn't leave you hanging if you're not sure how to say it in a way the child could understand.

I agree that although Saxon doesn't have TMs for 5/4 and up (at least not in the latest editions, I think early editions did have TMs) they are well written and I can either teach from it or have my son read it and understand.