Menu

Holy Drained Bank Account, Batman!

Wow! Thank you guys for all of the replies! I ditched the cart and decided to go thrifting and then pull the REST together at Gymboree sales. I just couldn't do it in the end when I know I'll have to turn around and do it again in the Spring......x4 LOL

Now I just need to locate the good thrift stores in my area. Thank you guys again for al,l of the info! :001_smile:

Ooo.....and.....I took one poster's advice and went to Crazy 8.......I could get, on average, 5-6 more pieces for the same price I was going to get at Gymboree! That's a huge deal to me! :D

Honestly, I get really nice clothes at Goodwill and other thrift stores. Clothes are usually $5 or less so you can get a lot of clothes. For younger children I can find pretty much anything I need in their sizes. Older ones are harder so often I supplement my thrift store run with a visit to Target etc. for them.

:iagree:

I have 5 kids- I can't imagine clothing them all with brand new clothes!! I usually make my list of everything each child is in need of, then we hit the thrift stores first, consignment stores for whatever we couldn't get at the thrift store, and then we'll visit Walmart or Target and fill in whatever is remaining (and get shoes, socks and undies). I also try to hit the season ending sales in summer and winter and get whatever I can for the next year. For example, at the end of last winter's season I got AMAZING winter coats for the kids for $4.50 brand new!

Lucky! Our Goodwill just doesn't have nice clothes. I can find those brands at consignment stores for cheap, though.

I have good consignment stores, too, but if I hit the thrifts right, then they're less expensive.

I must say, I really, really wish I started a consignment store. :glare: I thought about it for years and never made the plunge.

$145 for a 3YO seems high for 10-11 items of clothing. If it was for the 14YO, I would think that would be a fair price.

The secret to getting good deals is to buy next years clothes in the middle of January. Last January I got my daughter who will be 3 next month all of her winter clothes at Children's Place. Most things were $2.99, some were $1.99 and a few were $.99. They have this sale every January. I also got some things at Old Navy. Old Navy has things on sale often, but only certain days of the month do they have the EXTRA 40% or 50% off. Their extra 50% off sale does seem to happen about once a month, but sometimes it's only for women. In January they had a bunch of things for kids, but the older the children get, the less pickings there are.

Kohl's has that Jumping Beans brand, and many times each item is $5-$7 on sale. It's easy to find things for a 3YO.

I guess it depends where you were shopping if $145 was a good deal. You will probably find some decent sales in the stores right now.

If you live in a decent size area, check to see if there are any Just Between Friend sales. It's a consignment sale that happens twice a year. The fall one is coming up here in Houston. You pay more there than you would a garage sale. If you have a boy, it is more challenging finding good used stuff at these sales or even a garage sale. If you have a girl, the pickings are awesome!

Have fun shopping. :)

Vicki

I have 5 kids- I can't imagine clothing them all with brand new clothes!! I usually make my list of everything each child is in need of, then we hit the thrift stores first, consignment stores for whatever we couldn't get at the thrift store, and then we'll visit Walmart or Target and fill in whatever is remaining (and get shoes, socks and undies). I also try to hit the season ending sales in summer and winter and get whatever I can for the next year. For example, at the end of last winter's season I got AMAZING winter coats for the kids for $4.50 brand new!

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

My son (fortunately) lived in hand me downs, garage sale items (nice jackets for winter), gifts from grandma, and WalMart clothing. I really don't think thirft or garage sale items are bad -- many are in great condition and gently used. My husband used to work as a custodian at a high school and was told at the end of the year to trash the clothes collected in the lost and found. He went thru the bin and found a couple of nice jackets for son as a result. ;)

If you buy at thrift stores, be sure you're not bringing home bedbugs on the clothes. Visually check them. If you REALLY want to be sure, then take them to a laundromat and dry them for 20 minutes at 120 degrees. That'll kill the bugs.

:iagree:First thing I do is instantly throw the clothes from any thrift or garage sale in the wash on HOT water -- then dry at highest heat setting. Many articles of clothing donated are not necessarily "clean". ;)

Well I think your thread title says everything. If these clothes are 'draining your bank account' then yes, they are too expensive.

If you have the money, then no, they are reasonable.

There were years when I bought all brand name clothes for my kids at stores like Gymboree, Gap and Nordstrom's. There are also times when I predominately buy at second hands stores for the kids.

Lol, I am spoiled with my thrift stores. I buy Ralph Lauren there (one hand knit sweater with a tag for 300 still on it for 3.99), Hollister, Aeropostale, Gap, Ann Taylor and even a few Brooks Brothers --you name it. Vintage coats that are to DIE for. Yes, there is crud there, but you have to pick through it. Going through my kids dressers you would never guess we got the clothes at the thrift stores. I also just snagged two gorgeous table cloths, six cloth napkins and two crochet placemats I'm going to alter for 4 bucks.

I guess it comes down to if you are comfortable paying that much money for what you want? Do you feel that the value is good? Then it shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Seriously, you guys have some awesome thrift stores that I can only dream about. Ours are truly nasty. Not exaggerating.

Now, a confession. When I get fired up about kids looking nice and people shopping at thrift stores and have that conversation with TWTM board, I am actually secretly wishing I could have this conversation with a dear friend who has *plenty* of money and shops at thrift stores and her boys are dressed atrociously. They attend a very expensive private school where it really does matter what you wear. I know she thinks she's giving them this life-long skill about not caring what you are wearing and going against the grain or whatever, but her kids are really ashamed of their clothes and it hurts me. I'm talking stuff like high waters that look like capri pants. I have been giving them our boys' old stuff the last few seasons, but that's also painful to them. So, sorry if I put my own hurtful memories of being a poor kid with bad clothes along with her boys' experience into my posts. I don't mean to belittle your choices. I know you guys are spending the time and really looking out for your kids, but my friend is not. Doesn't help that she has no sense of style and works 50+ hours per week so cannot devote the kind of time you need at thrift stores.

Back on topic, To the OP: if you really don't have the money in your bank account it is a bad idea. If you do, go for it.

Margaret

We just went to JC Penny today as Ben only had two sweaters and a couple of turtlenecks that fit him. Normally, he gets Nathan's castoffs, but they both grew so much that none of the jeans fit, and Ben only likes turtlenecks. Buying at the end of the season has become harder as my boys have started growth spurts. I thought we got a good deal; for $300 we bought:

Ben:

(1) robe

(1) set matching flannel pajamas

(1) Mario Cart pajama set

(1) winter jacket

(3) pair jeans/pants

(5) turtlenecks

(1) long-sleeve shirt

(1) dress shirt (matches Nathan's -- for a family photo)

(1) sweater (matches Nathan's)

Nathan

(1) robe

(1) set matching flannel pajamas

(1) winter jacket

(3) pair jeans

(5) turtlenecks

(1) dress shirt (matches Nathan's -- for a family photo)

(1) sweater (matches Nathan's)

Edited by nestof3

:iagree:First thing I do is instantly throw the clothes from any thrift or garage sale in the wash on HOT water -- then dry at highest heat setting. Many articles of clothing donated are not necessarily "clean". ;)

Doesn't that shrink the clothing quite a bit? :confused:

This is what I find as well. Add to it, I have three boys who are super slim, so it comes down to finding pants that fit them, period. I was able to score at Old Navy with Jeans for each new at $7.50 a pair. Tops I normally get at Target or Kohls. Outwear I splurge and buy Lands End because we live in a cold climate and I only have to buy for the oldest, when it's passed down to my 3rd son, they still look like new. Sometimes I can find his in the overstock section as well.

I also have three slim boys (and one slim girl), and find the Lee jeans from Kohl's to be truly slim fitting (and softer & comfier than most). I like the way Levi's fit also, but the snap is a bit of a nuisance, and they are pricier.

Of course, I may just have to check out the Old Navy near the college.

:iagree: about Lands End for outerwear! I have a red squall parka here that will be handed down one last time this year. It was originally purchased for my almost 17 year old ds and this year it will fit my youngest.

I think we have one of those parkas in just about every size!

I'm addicted to both thrift stores and Gymboree (and crazy8 and janie and jack--all owned by the same company). I buy a ton used, but I can't help but shop the gymboree sales either. They have a fantastic clearance sale twice a year, once just after Christmas and once in July or so. They call it the Red Balloon Sale. They run 20% off coupons in magazines all the time and you can use them during clearance sales for a great deal. While I can get great stuff used, I do stalk gymbo sales!