Menu

Heart rate monitor vs. pulse oximeter?

I like working out wearing a heart rate monitor because I'm not very good at judging whether I'm pushing too hard or not pushing enough. I need something to tell me when enough is enough.

The hrm on my treadmill is worthless. Not even worth checking.

I *hate* wearing a heart rate monitor with a chest strap and watch. Perhaps it's the spare tire around my middle, but I have a hard time getting a good enough contact and I hate the feeling of constriction.

So...those little pulse oximeter things they use at the doctor's office, the little thing they clip to your finger for a minute, do those do basically the same thing? It's counting your pulse? Can I keep one of those on my treadmill and just stick my finger in once in a while? :bigear: (Is that a dumb question?)

Pulse oximeters will check the oxygen level and the pulse (at least ours does). But a good one is fairly expensive. I haven't looked in awhile, but we got ours at REI about three years ago for more than $300. Research quality carefully - there are levels.

You could use it for the purpose you propose. I prefer a regular heartrate monitor, but I know what you mean about the strap. I make the strap rather loose and tuck the whole thing in under the bottom of my exercise bra ;).

I prefer a regular heartrate monitor, but I know what you mean about the strap. I make the strap rather loose and tuck the whole thing in under the bottom of my exercise bra ;).

Yeah, I tried that. :001_huh:

It might be worth $300 not to have that degrading feeling that I'm so fat I can't even make contact with the chest strap thingy. :001_unsure:

Yeah, I tried that. :001_huh:

It might be worth $300 not to have that degrading feeling that I'm so fat I can't even make contact with the chest strap thingy. :001_unsure:

a cursory search yielded one that appears to be identical, or nearly identical, to the one I have..

http://www.amazon.com/Nonin-Digital-9500-Finger-Oximeter/dp/B001D7OHQ2

Looks like the price has come down in the years since I bought it. I can't believe it's still functioning, after what my little ones have done to it. If it ever starts acting wacky, chances are it just needs new batteries.

a cursory search yielded one that appears to be identical, or nearly identical, to the one I have..

http://www.amazon.com/Nonin-Digital-9500-Finger-Oximeter/dp/B001D7OHQ2

Looks like the price has come down in the years since I bought it. I can't believe it's still functioning, after what my little ones have done to it. If it ever starts acting wacky, chances are it just needs new batteries.

So in your research, were there some brands that were better than others, or was there a great variation in accuracy even between models from the same manufacturer?

I got my pulse ox from Amazon for a lot less than 300$. Here is the one I have, it does both Heart Rate and Pulse ox: http://www.amazon.com/Oximeter-record-transfer-computer-analyze/dp/B002NV4HNA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1286904576&sr=8-1

I like it because it records and then you can download the recording to your computer. There are cheaper models if all you are really needing is heart rate.

So in your research, were there some brands that were better than others, or was there a great variation in accuracy even between models from the same manufacturer?

It was a long time ago, but I'm thinking some brands were better than others. I vaguely recall that Nonin might also make medical ones. I'd definitely read the reviews of any ones that you are considering.

The PP makes a great point, that a device measuring only heartrate would probably be less expensive.

Also, the technology may have improved since I bought mine three years ago. (FWIW, I bought it for the oxygen component, for sick/asthma kids, long story :tongue_smilie:)

So...those little pulse oximeter things they use at the doctor's office, the little thing they clip to your finger for a minute, do those do basically the same thing? It's counting your pulse?

These are very expensive!

Take your pulse on your throat for 6 seconds and X10. When I work out, I can FEEL my heart rate everywhere!

I wouldn't worry about a pulse ox unless you have a history of respiratory issues and/or the doctor recommends it. I would concentrate on your pulse rate while exercising and not think about oxygenation. That number is so variable and all over the place while exercising and doesn't really account for much, IMO.

These are very expensive!

Take your pulse on your throat for 6 seconds and X10. When I work out, I can FEEL my heart rate everywhere!

Am I the only dolt on the planet who cannot do this? I can't watch the seconds and count my pulse at the same time. Add to that the fact I tend to count my steps randomly as I run, and there is no way I end up with the correct number to X10. I can't even do it when I'm sitting still.

Am I the only dolt on the planet who cannot do this? I can't watch the seconds and count my pulse at the same time. Add to that the fact I tend to count my steps randomly as I run, and there is no way I end up with the correct number to X10. I can't even do it when I'm sitting still.

:lol::lol::lol: I thought it was just me! And I'm a nurse!!

I remember when I used to take aerobics class and they would stop to do a pulse check, I would always march in place with my fingers on my neck and pretend I was counting . . .

:lol::lol::lol: I thought it was just me! And I'm a nurse!!

I remember when I used to take aerobics class and they would stop to do a pulse check, I would always march in place with my fingers on my neck and pretend I was counting . . .

:smilielol5: I've done that too :D.

I'm feeling much better about this deficiency now!

I wouldn't worry about a pulse ox unless you have a history of respiratory issues and/or the doctor recommends it. I would concentrate on your pulse rate while exercising and not think about oxygenation. That number is so variable and all over the place while exercising and doesn't really account for much, IMO.

Well, as per my original post, I'm *not* worried about oxygenation. :001_smile:

I'm just looking for a better, easier way of taking my pulse while I'm walking/jogging on my treadmill and watchin' tv. :D

I don't want to have to try and count it myself while I'm walking (and I don't want to interrupt watching House in order to count! :tongue_smilie:), the one on my treadmill doesn't work, and I hate the chest strap thing on the regular heart rate monitors made for exercise.

Some of the pulse oximeters on Amazon have great ratings, and aren't very expensive, so I was wondering if it would work for my purposes--making it easy for a dolt like me to check my heart rate so I don't push too hard, or go too easy! :)

I'm just looking for a better, easier way of taking my pulse while I'm walking/jogging on my treadmill and watchin' tv. :D

I don't want to have to try and count it myself while I'm walking (and I don't want to interrupt watching House in order to count! :tongue_smilie:), the one on my treadmill doesn't work, and I hate the chest strap thing on the regular heart rate monitors made for exercise.

Some of the pulse oximeters on Amazon have great ratings, and aren't very expensive, so I was wondering if it would work for my purposes--making it easy for a dolt like me to check my heart rate so I don't push too hard, or go too easy! :)

Oh, I see. I don't know what's on the market and the cost of pulse ox w/pulse v. just pulse. To the extent you'd be paying lost more for the pulse ox, I don't think you need. That's all I meant:001_smile:

Oh, I see. I don't know what's on the market and the cost of pulse ox w/pulse v. just pulse. To the extent you'd be paying lost more for the pulse ox, I don't think you need. That's all I meant:001_smile:

Yeah, surprisingly though, some well-rated pulse ox meters from Amazon are less expensive than many of the heart rate monitors. It just got me wondering...:001_smile:

• 1 year later...

I'm a homehealth nurse and bought myself one off Ebay for $60 last year. It's held up great so far. It does take pulse and O2 saturation. Your hand does need to be pretty still for a moment for it to work, but only for a few seconds. Sounds like a good idea to me !

I love having mine, and it makes it so much easier because I don't have to stop walking in order to calculate my heart rate.