Menu

Yawning through reading lesson?

FairProspects

Ds has huge yawning issues during reading lessons. I've read that this is a sign of mental exhaustion, or that the brain is working hard, but what do I do with that information? In reading he is still working on CVC words (we have dabbled in long vowels but it was too much so we backed off) and have been for over a year, so I don't really feel like we can slow down any more. If you know something is mentally taxing for your dc, what do you do about it? Give more breaks?

Ds has huge yawning issues during reading lessons. I've read that this is a sign of mental exhaustion, or that the brain is working hard, but what do I do with that information? In reading he is still working on CVC words (we have dabbled in long vowels but it was too much so we backed off) and have been for over a year, so I don't really feel like we can slow down any more. If you know something is mentally taxing for your dc, what do you do about it? Give more breaks?

Reading aloud makes me yawn a lot. I even get sleepy at the end of a long read aloud.

I think it must have something to do with the rythmic sound of reading aloud and shifts in ear pressure. But that's just a guess.

So maybe he's not tired, but is just having a similar reaction.

Mine yawns through reading too, but not in other subjects.

For my ds7, I do think reading is taxing on him and yawning is a reaction to that. It's not a behavioral thing, but a physical reaction. I just keep reading sessions short, and break up the reading throughout the day.

Actually, I'd try having him do a brief round of strenuous physical activity before the reading lesson, and perhaps take breaks every few minutes for more of the same. Make it fun and game-like, not a punishment. You could have him run around the outside of the house as fast as he can before you start, then do 15 jumping jacks every few minutes during his lesson. You could fill a jar with little physically-demanding tasks (run, jumping jacks, race up the stairs and down 3 times, do 10 push-ups, hop on one foot 15 times, skip to the mailbox, do crab-walks down the hall and back, etc) and have him pull one out before his reading lesson, then every 5-7 minutes during the lesson. You want quick things that won't horribly disrupt your lesson, but that will get his blood pumping and his brain reset.

I'd also look at ways to vary your lessons more. Instead of always trying to do lessons quietly at the table with the book in front of you (or however you do it), try to vary that up. Sit on the kitchen floor and do the lesson on a cookie sheet with a dry-erase marker. Or let him sit on your lap while you type words for him to read onto the computer screen. Or use letter magnets. Or chalk on the driveway. Or write the words in cornmeal sprinkled in a casserole dish. Snuggle on the couch. Go back to the table.

Yes, it's hard mental work. But sometimes distracting parts of your brain from the exhaustion can help. And getting some exercise before and during can help with that as well.

And, of course, stick to shorter lessons if that seems to help. Two fifteen minute lessons a day (with a pre-lesson physical warm-up and a short break for a quick physical activity) may work better for you than one straight 20 minute lesson per day, for instance.

My youngest dd had this same issue. She is dyslexic and had visual efficiency and visual processing issues. Chewing gum helped a LOT.

Have your ds chew Trident (or some other similar small gum). Chewing gum is a focusing activity and will help him to concentrate better.

My dd still chews gum whenever she's having a hard time concentrating or is having to concentrate particularly hard on something.

Guest CarolineUK

Might he be bored with CVC words? My DS6 has really struggled with reading, as did his eldest brother until he was about 8 years. However, DH is dyslexic and didn't learn to read until he was 9/10 years old, and his view was that if any of the boys were dyslexic it was best to start working on it from an early age, as it was purely a lot of hard work with an expert at the time that made the breakthrough for him (and he does still struggle even now, at 51, and having achieved a doctorate from a top UK universtiy). So, anyway, I have pushed DS6 through more difficult stuff very gently and with enormous patience (more than I thought I had), and with lots of tickling and fun. I don't know, but I suspect he might be yawning too if we were still doing just CVC words.

Best of luck

I noticed mine only did this when they where sitting with bad posture. Once I required them to sit up straight they stopped.

I ALWAYS yawn when I sing even when I'm not tired at all. The kids' choir leader says it is a sign of improper breathing and your body not having enough oxygen. She says sitting up straight would make a huge difference.