Menu

Sorry gross - egg burps?

I have had burps for the last two days that taste like I ate an entire platter of deviled eggs, only I haven't had any eggs at all. I haven't even had anything that has eggs as an ingredient. Of course, this is not a major problem but it is kind of annoying. Most of all, it has me curious though. What would cause this?

I have had burps for the last two days that taste like I ate an entire platter of deviled eggs, only I haven't had any eggs at all. I haven't even had anything that has eggs as an ingredient. Of course, this is not a major problem but it is kind of annoying. Most of all, it has me curious though. What would cause this?

Does it smell/taste like sulfur? I have this when I eat a lot of dried fruit, like apricots or peaches. They're preserved with sulfur dioxide.

I think some intestinal infections (H. pylori, for example) can cause it, as well as some medications. If you aren't eating any dried fruits or on new medications, you might want to mention it to your doctor.

I've experienced this prior to a common stomach virus. The cause of the actual smell is usually undigested food that has sat there and rotted. I also experienced this in a very severe illness that almost killed me. The doctors still have no idea what exactly it was, but I was treated for a parasitic something or other. It started with the egg-burps, then I began VIOLENTLY throwing up a FOUL hummus-like substance (sorry TMI) when I did not eat hummus. (warning: very TMI: the dr thinks this was not stomach contents... he thinks the content was further past the stomach, but was brought up anyway... yes it was beyond foul) It was so stinking foul that the stench of it was still in in my nose, so I blew my nose and like the flick of a switch, I began to feel my sinus cavity FILL UP and clog. The final symptom was this strong-as-kryptonite-mucus invasion: think really strong (clear) raw egg whites that you cannot break through. The mucous completely filled my sinus cavity after I blew my nose: I could not hear anymore or breathe through my nose at all even though it was not congested. The mucous was rapidly filling my stomach and I began to throw it up, only it would not break apart and because I could not breathe with my nose, I almost asphixiated. It was very scary. But that egg smell along with hummus started it all. What adds to the mystery of this, is that it was cyclical. I went through the rotten-egg and hummus thing like clockwork (every 3 weeks I believe) for several months before the mucous came. All I can say is that I hope you do not experience that. I hope it's just stomach upset. :grouphug:

Edited by specialmama

We call them sour burps here! In my experience, they generally precede a wonderful bout with a stomach virus.

Yes this... I have those burps and I have the nasty virus that my son had last friday on his 6th birthday.... :glare: I am warning you-- if its the this virus-- its NO FUN. :glare: I have been complaining about this all day.. When I saw your thread I had to show my dd- she said she thought I started it :001_smile:

Also, I have tried EVERYTHING to get rid of them. Nothing helps :ack2: